The Athletic's "NFL 100"

conace21

Re: The Athletic's "NFL 100"

Post by conace21 »

Brian wolf wrote:I understand, Conace21 but number one receiver or not, Owens antics, drops and disruptions of at least three contending teams is inexcusable. Then he disappeared in postseason, without catching a TD in the SB despite NE's young secondary..
So by that logic, Andre Reed disappeared in the Super Bowl every year, including the year he had the third most receiving yards in Super Bowl history (at the time), just because he never scored a Super Bowl touchdown.
I think your disdain for TO's behavior is affecting your reasoning in this debate. His antics don't have to be excused; they should be considered when assessing his place in the game. And I think his place warrants a spot on the top 100 list.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I already said that only team players should be in the Top 100 of All-time ... we just disagree. Its okay, I like good debate and spirited discussion ... Starting arguments is fun when discussing NFL history because the game is already dying in my eyes. These sites keep it alive.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Haha ... let me re-phrase that ... team-first players for the Top 100 Players ...

I dont agree with Lenny Moore being one of the running backs, to me he was a wide receiver who could have replaced Hirsch ... Jim Taylor could have taken his running back spot. I would have replaced Dutch Clark with Joe Perry.

Its close but I would have chosen Casper over Mackey or Gonzalez, another huge receiver, at TE ...

I would have taken Layne or Luckman over Manning, especially with other throwers on this team.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Society in general has seems to be gotten too list hungry. Since the late 90s at least it seems like there are million top movies, athletes, best places to live, worst places etc lists just piling up on top of each other...they are all seem pretty worthless when there's so many and they happen so frequently

I would like maybe one governing body, carefully selected...and every 3 years they can compile a list of the greatest football players of all time and the greatest current players, and let that be the definitive word.
JWL

Post by JWL »

sheajets wrote:Society in general has seems to be gotten too list hungry. Since the late 90s at least it seems like there are million top movies, athletes, best places to live, worst places etc lists just piling up on top of each other...they are all seem pretty worthless when there's so many and they happen so frequently
Sportswriter Can't Stop Ranking Things