Sacks on Pro Football Reference

GameBeforeTheMoney

Re: Sacks on Pro Football Reference

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

Major props to the two guys who calculated the totals. Very necessary and helpful work.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

Please note that the sack lists are not comprehensive.

I looked at 1963. The NFL was better than the AFL. Most NFL teams were close to their overall sack totals. The Rams actually had more individual sacks than total team sacks! The Redskins and Eagles I think were a little short. The AFL wasn't as good; the Chargers had a little fewer than half their sacks credited, and other teams had similar shortfalls.

I love what we have now, but if you're going to do serious player comps you need to be aware of the gaps. I wish PFR would highlight the partial data a little better so these numbers don't get taken as "official" and someone starts complaining about Earl Faison's low sack numbers.

Again though, I'm very happy that we have all of this now.
Lee Elder

Post by Lee Elder »

Brian wolf wrote:Its amazing to me that Merlin Olsen doesnt have more sacks in the 60s ? Everytime I saw him on film, he was exploding interior lines. I bet he has many hurries where he flushed the QB out the pocket, right into Deacon Jones but only Turney, Willis, Webster and Troup can confirm ...
Olsen and Jones played different positions and had different responsibilities. I agree that highlight films frequently show Olsen sacking a QB, but those films are misleading, I guess. One thing is certain, Olsen and Jones played very well together.

I want to add myself to the long list of Thank Yous for the pioneering research on sacks before they were sacks. Great stuff.
TodMaher

Post by TodMaher »

Jay Z wrote:Please note that the sack lists are not comprehensive.

I wish PFR would highlight the partial data a little better so these numbers don't get taken as "official" and someone starts complaining about Earl Faison's low sack numbers.

Again though, I'm very happy that we have all of this now.
I wish they would they publish the game-by-game data so we can tell what games are missing and where the errors are. I guess they only sold them the "final" data.