Weird player: Clint Didier

Bryan

Weird player: Clint Didier

Post by Bryan »

I've been watching a lot of 1980's Redskins games on youtube, and Clint Didier is always making a big play or a clutch catch. He was Neil Lomax's target at Portland State, and in the NFL he was unusually fast and coordinated for a TE. He wasn't on the level of Kellen Winslow, and his stats aren't spectacular, but Gibbs seemed to use Didier like Coryell used Winslow. Lots of motion with Didier, deep routes, etc.

One thing I noticed about John Mackey was that the last defender could never tackle him...if Mackey was near the end zone, you couldn't stop him from scoring a TD. Clint Didier was the opposite. He seemingly always got tackled inside the 5-yard line. Maybe that is why guys like Riggins and George Rogers had huge TD years.
Gary Najman

Re: Weird player: Clint Didier

Post by Gary Najman »

Bryan wrote:I've been watching a lot of 1980's Redskins games on youtube, and Clint Didier is always making a big play or a clutch catch. He was Neil Lomax's target at Portland State, and in the NFL he was unusually fast and coordinated for a TE. He wasn't on the level of Kellen Winslow, and his stats aren't spectacular, but Gibbs seemed to use Didier like Coryell used Winslow. Lots of motion with Didier, deep routes, etc.

One thing I noticed about John Mackey was that the last defender could never tackle him...if Mackey was near the end zone, you couldn't stop him from scoring a TD. Clint Didier was the opposite. He seemingly always got tackled inside the 5-yard line. Maybe that is why guys like Riggins and George Rogers had huge TD years.
Didier's long catch at the end of regulation in the 1986 game against Minnesota to set the tying touchdown is one of my favorite plays ever.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

Gibbs had a player like Didier. Then, when Joe Bugel goes to Arizona in 1990, he had a similar (but better) player in Novacek, but he allows Dallas to get him in Plan B. Why didn't he keep Novacek and use him like Gibbs used Didier?
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

I think Gibbs offense was known for single-back sets/12 personnel. I think Didier was the H back.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Whats interesting is that Rob Awalt battled with Novachek for the starting job in Arizona, then the two pushed each other in Dallas ... Awalt may have been the better blocker but Novachek developed a rapport with Aikman, took the job and became an excellent player himself.
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

Even as a Plan B pickup in Green Bay, Didier always seemed to produce, albeit in a limited role. Just one of those guys who always seemed prepared.
Eagles One

Post by Eagles One »

Sounds like Chad Lewis who was usually clutch for the Eagles. Non drafted by the Eagles, he was released and brought back by Reid. He went on to achieve Pro-Bowl three consecutive seasons. One of my favorite players from those teams. Very underrated IMO.
nicefellow31

Post by nicefellow31 »

Lifelong Washington fan here. Very familiar with Clint Didier. This link tells how he wound up on the team. Scroll down, it's article #3

https://www.washingtonfootball.com/news ... -joe-gibbs
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

nicefellow31 wrote:Lifelong Washington fan here. Very familiar with Clint Didier. This link tells how he wound up on the team. Scroll down, it's article #3

https://www.washingtonfootball.com/news ... -joe-gibbs
Interesting article. Thanks for sharing.
JWL

Post by JWL »

Didier would be even more effective in today's era. He'd probably catch 60 passes a year.