Most blocked field goals in a season

ChrisBabcock

Most blocked field goals in a season

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I'm certain this has been discussed here before but, of course, I can't search for it. I realize documentation gets sketchy the farther back in time you go, but has anyone seen any somewhat reliable info on most blocked field goals in a season leaders? I was just reading a 1980 season preview magazine and it said Sherman White had 6 blocks in 1979. That seems like a crazy high number for just one player. I got to wondering if that's anywhere close to the unofficial record. I know Matt Blair was amazing FG blocker as well. I've found John Turney's blog post which is very interesting. No mention of a definitive record holder though.
https://nflfootballjournal.blogspot.com ... s.html?m=1
Brian wolf

Re: Most blocked field goals in a season

Post by Brian wolf »

I would guess either Matt Blair or Ted Hendricks blocked the most in a season.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Very interesting blog. Since I closely followed Balt and Oak back in the 60s and 70s, my first guess was Hendricks. The Stork was a beast with those long arms. He reminds me of those giant inflatable "tube boys" you see here and there at car dealerships, etc., with the arms waving crazily.
conace21

Post by conace21 »

Bob St. Clair is widely reported to have blocked 10 FG's in 1956. That still appears on his online HOF bio. Daly and O'Connell addressed the myth in 1990's Pro Football Chronicle. Based on film study and newspaper reports, the 10 blocks might be accurate if you included PAT's and exhibition games.