Best all-time roster: Centers

JuggernautJ

Re: Best all-time roster: Centers

Post by JuggernautJ »

Not saying they're the "best" but the Eagles have had some great centers: Bendarik, Ringo, Wojo (both "past their prime' in Philly), Jason Kelce, Vic Lindskog (1 All Pro, 2 Championships)...
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Watching Ringo on NFL Films -always a joy- I thought he was just as good in Philly as GB. To me, he never lost his quickness till maybe his last season ...
racepug

Post by racepug »

JuggernautJ wrote:Not saying they're the "best" but the Eagles have had some great centers: Bendarik, Ringo, Wojo (both "past their prime' in Philly), Jason Kelce, Vic Lindskog (1 All Pro, 2 Championships)...
I had no idea until fairly recently that Chuck Bednarik also not only played - but excelled at - C during his time in Philly.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

racepug wrote:
JuggernautJ wrote:Not saying they're the "best" but the Eagles have had some great centers: Bedarik, Ringo, Wojo (both "past their prime' in Philly), Jason Kelce, Vic Lindskog (1 All Pro, 2 Championships)...
I had no idea until fairly recently that Chuck Bednarik also not only played - but excelled at - C during his time in Philly.
That's kind of Bednarik's "Claim to Fame"... that he was the "Last of the sixty minute men" as he played both offense and defense in the Eagles Championship season of 1960. I believe Concrete Charlie played 58+ minutes in that game.

Coffin Corner article on Bednarik: http://www.profootballresearchers.com/c ... C-28-6.pdf

Also: http://www.profootballresearchers.com/m ... 38_1-2.pdf
(Sorry, from the members only section)
conace21

Post by conace21 »

Just came across this post, and I think the Raiders are a dark horse.

In their first 35 years, they only had three starting centers.
Jim Otto is on the short list of greats.
Dave Dalby only made one Pro Bowl, but he was the center on all three of the Super Bowl winners.
Don Mosebar made multiple Pro Bowls and was named 1st Team All Pro by the Sporting News in 1991.
Barrett Robbins took over a few years later, and had some success before his life collapsed
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

Yeah - I was logging in to drop the Raiders in this also. Otto and Dalby alone are a great run.

The Giants deserve mention also with Mel Hein - I mean, he alone is good enough to count. Bart Oates, not at that level but a good center nonetheless.

Colts too with Syzmansky, Saturday, Nutter, Curry.

49ers also deserve recognition. Quillan, Cross, Forrest Blue, Bruce Bosely, Sapolu. Not HOFs, some only centers half their careers, but a lot of Pro Bowls for San Francisco in that bunch.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

GameBeforeTheMoney wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:48 pm
Colts too with Syzmansky, Saturday, Nutter, Curry.
Don't forget Donaldson.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

conace21 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:22 am Just came across this post, and I think the Raiders are a dark horse.

In their first 35 years, they only had three starting centers.
Jim Otto is on the short list of greats.
Dave Dalby only made one Pro Bowl, but he was the center on all three of the Super Bowl winners.
Don Mosebar made multiple Pro Bowls and was named 1st Team All Pro by the Sporting News in 1991.
Barrett Robbins took over a few years later, and had some success before his life collapsed
A fun trivia question from my early days here (it might have come from Mr. Gill's book?):
Name every (AP 1st team) All-Pro Center in the history of the AFL.
Jim. Otto.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Ed Flanagan isn't one of the all-time greats, but he was the center for the first 10 years I really started following the Lions. He was there when I was in grade school, when I graduated from high school, when I worked in the auto plant, and when I was in the Marines. Like so many guys in all the sports in those pre-free agency days, it seemed like he was gonna be here forever. He made a few Pro Bowls and had some great personal battles with Dick Butkus, who he considered the most foul-mouthed guy in the league. Ed died this past spring. RIP Ed.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

RichardBak wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:58 pm Ed Flanagan isn't one of the all-time greats, but he was the center for the first 10 years I really started following the Lions. He was there when I was in grade school, when I graduated from high school, when I worked in the auto plant, and when I was in the Marines. Like so many guys in all the sports in those pre-free agency days, it seemed like he was gonna be here forever. He made a few Pro Bowls and had some great personal battles with Dick Butkus, who he considered the most foul-mouthed guy in the league. Ed died this past spring. RIP Ed.
Flanagan finished his career with two seasons for the Chargers. In the 1977 Street&Smith's magazine it is still listed in San Diego's roster, but I believe he retired or was released before the season. Ralph Perretta, another former Boilermaker like Flanagan, replaced him.

Speaking of the Lions, they have had solid centers like Flanagan, Jon Morris, Kevin Glover, Dominic Raiola and Frank Ragnow.