Best all-time roster: RBs

TanksAndSpartans

Re: Best all-time roster: RBs

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

I like the Bears, Browns, Packers, Lions, but for that 5th spot - no one mentioned the 49ers:

Perry
McElhenny
Craig
John Henry Johnson
Gore
Hearst
Wendell Tyler
Rathman

Started in '46 like the Browns, less history than the teams that go way back.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

For the Niners, also Willard, John David Crow, Watters and Floyd, who could do it all before getting hurt ...
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:I like the Bears, Browns, Packers, Lions, but for that 5th spot - no one mentioned the 49ers:

Perry
McElhenny
Craig
John Henry Johnson
Gore
Hearst
Wendell Tyler
Rathman

Started in '46 like the Browns, less history than the teams that go way back.
I did mention the 49ers Million Dollar Backfield on page one of this thread (just call me "No One").
I didn't include most of those guys because although many were very good, I don't consider them among the all-time greats (except maybe Craig). Perhaps Gore, Crow and Watters deserve some mention but I don't know that Ken Willard will ever help make the case for the greatness of Niners RBs.
But everyone is entitled to their opinion and I have no problem with anyone promoting my favorite team(s).
TanksAndSpartans

JuggernautJ wrote: I did mention the 49ers Million Dollar Backfield on page one of this thread (just call me "No One").
I didn't include most of those guys because although many were very good, I don't consider them among the all-time greats (except maybe Craig). Perhaps Gore, Crow and Watters deserve some mention but I don't know that Ken Willard will ever help make the case for the greatness of Niners RBs.
But everyone is entitled to their opinion and I have no problem with anyone promoting my favorite team(s).
Sorry, I guess I just skimmed through the thread - that first post you made seemed more to be asking what the guidelines were. I think it turned out the answer was there aren't any. :)
The trend seemed to be for long lists of names, so I joined in. There was no list of names of 49ers, so I added one.
I would say for a minimum guideline, more than one team shouldn't be able to claim the same player. I think the 49ers should get Perry and McElhenny, probably not JHJ.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Yes, the Bears backs have the history, accolades and tradition but many also played before the color barrier was broken. I think the 49ers as well as Browns running backs stand with them pound for pound ... especially with their versatility. The Bears had no receiving backs like the 49ers except for Payton, Sayers and Forte in my opinion.
TanksAndSpartans

I think having a few extra decades makes a difference. How do you fill out this table for the Browns to counter who the Bears have?

Payton and Brown
Nagurski and Motley
Sayers and Kelly
Grange ?
McAfee ?

49ers - tougher to make the argument

Payton and McElhenny
Nagurski and Perry
Sayers and Craig
Grange ?
McAfee ?

But I agree, if you focus on postwar, Bears, Packers, and Lions all of whom I had top 5, don't look as strong.

I have no problem removing pre-war, but with regard to this statement:
Brian wolf wrote:Yes, the Bears backs have the history, accolades and tradition but many also played before the color barrier was broken.
You can only play against who lined up on the other side. And what's the argument? Would Nagurski or Grange not have been stars if there was no color barrier?
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I felt Latone was as good as Grange, so I have no problem choosing Byner or either Pruitt over him. Chubb will surpass McAfee but you have a great argument, because they were great players. If its about a player lining up against the opposite man, why isnt Abner Haynes, Cookie Gilchrist, Craig, Watters and others not in the HOF ?
TanksAndSpartans

Brian wolf wrote:I felt Latone was as good as Grange, so I have no problem choosing Byner or either Pruitt over him. Chubb will surpass McAfee but you have a great argument, because they were great players. If its about a player lining up against the opposite man, why isnt Abner Haynes, Cookie Gilchrist, Craig, Watters and others not in the HOF ?
Payton | Brown
Nagurski | Motley
Sayers | Kelly
Grange | Byner or Pruitt
McAfee | Chubb

Really tough to compare players across eras. I think most would go for the Bears side, but I can see the case for the Browns. Grange was a college legend who had a big impact on the league. Without that, maybe he's not in the HOF, but I still think he has the edge based on post-season honors and probable rushing titles over Byner or Pruitt. Some have said the HOF tried to compensate players who had their careers interrupted by WWII, so maybe McAfee's not a HOfer either. Maybe Chubb does surpass him, but I don't think he's been 1st Team All-Pro yet has he?

Abner Haynes - Lots of good RBs in the '60s. I did not vote for him for HOVG.
Cookie Gilchrist - short career, AFL probably doesn't help.
Craig - I'd be willing to bet the senior committee puts him in within 5 years
Watters - I'm not an expert on the '90s, but this doesn't seem like a big snub to me either.

Why didn't you put Latone on your snub list? :)
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

Steelers are worth a mention -- Harris, Bleier (both had over 1,000 yds same season). Bill Dudley. The Bus, Jerome Bettis. John Henry Johnson had good years with the Steelers. Plus they've had several guys who went over 1,000 yards but didn't have long careers -- Barry Foster, Rashard Mendenhall, Willie Parker, those types of guys.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Yeah, Grange was important to NFL history while I looked at Byner's entire career, not just the Browns. Had Greg Pruitt not been injured, sky was the limit. Cookie played great in Canada, playing on defense as well and should have been a Brown but as usual, Paul Brown lost him but I think he is HOF worthy ... Good debate.