Best all-time roster: QBs

racepug

Best all-time roster: QBs

Post by racepug »

My comment in the "Chicago Bears QBs" thread about the Cardinals having, arguably, the greatest all-time defensive secondary brought this to mind. Which team(s) do you think have the case for "Best all-time roster" for QBs? For Top Two I'd go with the Colts. Overall? It's a rather tough call but my pick would be the San Francisco 49ers. Anybody care to put forth another team for consideration?
ChrisBabcock

Re: Best all-time roster: QBs

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Agreed that the Colts would have the greatest PAIR of all time QBs (Unitas/Manning), I'll nominate the Packers as having the greatest all time QBs. Starr/Favre/Rodgers > Unitas/Manning/????. Brodie/Montana/Young would top the Colts as well. The Cowboys would be up there too.
Sonny9

Post by Sonny9 »

I like Baugh/Jurgensen for the pair.

All time Green Bay Herber/Isbell/Starr/Favre/Rodgers
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

ChrisBabcock wrote:....Brodie/Montana/Young would top the Colts as well. The Cowboys would be up there too.
Don't forget Frankie Albert and Y.A. Title...

Colts also had Bert Jones and Earl Morrall.
Dolphins: Marino and Griese and maybe Morrall...
Rams: Warner, Van Brocklin, Waterfield, Gabriel... (and Wade and Namath...?)
Cowboys: Staubach, Aikman, Meredith... anyone else? Is Danny White a suitable back-up for an all time roster? (#4 on the depth chart)

Again, so many great teams with great players over 100 years.. it might be easier to decide on the bottom tier...
Eagles One

Post by Eagles One »

Raiders there's Lamonica, Stabler, Gannon had a number of great years, some may have Plunkett there. Original Browns there's Graham, Frank Ryan, Milt Plum was good a few years, Brian Sipe.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Hey EaglesOne, how about...
Van Brocklin and Jurgensen? Thompson and Thomason, McNabb, Vick and Cunningham?
Jaws?
Eagles One

Post by Eagles One »

JuggernautJ wrote:Hey EaglesOne, how about...
Van Brocklin and Jurgensen? Thompson and Thomason, McNabb, Vick and Cunningham?
Jaws?

A list I can appreciate. Also briefly Roman Gabriel who had one of his best seasons in an Eagles' uniform for a Godawful team.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

It's easy to say the Packers with Herber/Isbell/Rote/Starr/Dickey/Majick/Favre/Rodgers but there were also long periods of mediocrity.

The Raiders and Cowboys were intriguing because they consistently won from 1965-1985

Cowboys ... Meredith/Morton/Staubach/White/Aikman/Romo/Prescott ?

Raiders ... Flores/Lamonica/Stabler/Plunkett/Gannon

Cleveland had winners too in Graham/Plum/Ryan/Nelson/Sipe/Kosar but it ended in 1993.

Like racepug said, the 49ers had a QB history but only Montana/Young with championships.

The pair of Unitas/Manning overcomes Staubach/Aikman in my book ...
racepug

Post by racepug »

Just as with the TE thread I think it only fair that I provide a list of names to help you see what you're going up against if you wish to challenge my contention that the 49ers have the best roster of QBs to choose from from their all-time list: Joe Montana, Steve Young, Y.A. Tittle, John Brodie, Frankie Albert. Heck, I'd even put Jeff Garcia on that list. Six QBs, three of them H.o.F.ers. Beat that.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Tale Of The Tape ... GB vs SF QBs

Championships ... GB 9 SF 5

Great Winners ... GB/Starr - SF/Montana

Great Stats ... GB/Rodgers - SF/Young, Montana

Longevity ... GB/Favre - SF/Brodie

HOF ... GB/Herber, Starr, Favre, Rodgers(soon)
SF/ Montana, Young, Tittle(Counting the Giants)

Notes* ... Brodie and Tittle underachieved in SF while Albert was great in the AAFC. Like Rote for GB, Tittle was more successful for another team. Rote was the best running QB of the 50s, with championships for Detroit and SD in the AFL. Herber and Isbell were throwers before SF was a team.

A fun debate ...