Players who switched uniform numbers for new players on the

Gary Najman

Players who switched uniform numbers for new players on the

Post by Gary Najman »

Last season, when Tom Brady came to Tampa Bay, WR Chris Godwin let Brady use his #12 and he switched to #14. Another case I remember is when Clinton Portis came to Washington, safety Ifeanyi Ohalaete selled him his #26 (and then I believe he sued him for $20,000 Portis owed to him) and Ohalete changed to #30 in the 2004 preseason, then was waived and he came to Arizona. Also when Eii Manning was drafted by the Chargers and traded to the Giants in 2004, punter Jeff Feagles selled him his #10 and he changed to #18. Do you remember if there have been other similar cases?
JuggernautJ

Re: Players who switched uniform numbers for new players on

Post by JuggernautJ »

The one that immediately comes to mind is the opposite: Len Dawson refused to allow Joe Montana to use his retired number (16) when Joe went to the Chiefs. Hence Joe wore #19 during his KC days.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Along those lines...I remember when the Lions had to "unretire" Joe Schmidt's number 56 so that Saints LB Pat Swilling could bless our town with his brilliance. That was one of the conditions of the deal, back in the early '90s. Joe, always a team player even 25+ years after he last played, agreed to do it. Swilling's demand didn't sit well with Detroit fans.

Swilling lasted a couple seasons in Detroit before moving on.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Hopefully, safety Karl Joseph for the Browns can keep improving as a player and try to live up to his jersey number #42 ...
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

JuggernautJ wrote:The one that immediately comes to mind is the opposite: Len Dawson refused to allow Joe Montana to use his retired number (16) when Joe went to the Chiefs. Hence Joe wore #19 during his KC days.
Other similar cases was when Steve Largent lent his #80 to Jerry Rice went he came to Seattle, and Frank Tripucka lent his #18 to Peyton Manning when he came to Denver.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

RichardBak wrote:Along those lines...I remember when the Lions had to "unretire" Joe Schmidt's number 56 so that Saints LB Pat Swilling could bless our town with his brilliance. That was one of the conditions of the deal, back in the early '90s. Joe, always a team player even 25+ years after he last played, agreed to do it. Swilling's demand didn't sit well with Detroit fans.

Did Charlie Sanders also lent to Mike Williams his #88?
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

How the hell did Frank Tripucka get a number retired ? Was he that much a fan draw ?
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Teo wrote:
RichardBak wrote:Along those lines...I remember when the Lions had to "unretire" Joe Schmidt's number 56 so that Saints LB Pat Swilling could bless our town with his brilliance. That was one of the conditions of the deal, back in the early '90s. Joe, always a team player even 25+ years after he last played, agreed to do it. Swilling's demand didn't sit well with Detroit fans.

Did Charlie Sanders also lent to Mike Williams his #88?
The club never officially retired Charlie Sanders's #88. In fact, four other players have worn that number since Sanders retired after the 1977 season. The latest is T. J. Hockenson. Sanders's family has publicly said they have no problem with it. And Charlie's dead, so he doesn't care.
superbowlfanatic

Post by superbowlfanatic »

Teo wrote:Last season, when Tom Brady came to Tampa Bay, WR Chris Godwin let Brady use his #12 and he switched to #14. Another case I remember is when Clinton Portis came to Washington, safety Ifeanyi Ohalaete selled him his #26 (and then I believe he sued him for $20,000 Portis owed to him) and Ohalete changed to #30 in the 2004 preseason, then was waived and he came to Arizona. Also when Eii Manning was drafted by the Chargers and traded to the Giants in 2004, punter Jeff Feagles selled him his #10 and he changed to #18. Do you remember if there have been other similar cases?
Feagles actually changed his number twice on the Giants. The first time you mention, Eli paid him a sum (to switch from #10 to #17) which allowed him to do an entire kitchen makeover in his home.

The second time, Plaxico Burress paid him to change from #17 to #18.

So he made out twice.
Last edited by superbowlfanatic on Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
superbowlfanatic

Post by superbowlfanatic »

When Aaron Hernandez was with the Patriots, he switched from #85 to #81.
I don't know if that coincided with the arrival of Chad Johnson, or whether or not any transaction was involved.