Players who switched uniform numbers for new players on the

fgoodwin

Re: Players who switched uniform numbers for new players on

Post by fgoodwin »

In 1969, Dallas punter Ron Widby (P: 1967-71) switched from #12 to #10 so rookie Roger Staubach could wear it.

fgoodwin

Post by fgoodwin »

In 1995, Cowboy DB Alundis Brice (DB: 1995-96) switched from #21 to #29 so Deion could wear it.

conace21

Post by conace21 »

superbowlfanatic wrote:When Aaron Hernandez was with the Patriots, he switched from #85 to #81.
I don't know if that coincided with the arrival of Chad Johnson, or whether or not any transaction was involved.
Yes, and no. Hernandez gave Chad Ochocinco (his legal name at the time) #85 for free, and switched to #81, his college number. Randy Moss was wearing #81 when Hernandez joined the Patriots in 2010.

Chad joked "I drive a Toyota Prius -- so I was going to let him use the Prius on the weekend. That's the best I can do right now, and I have some leftover McDonald's coupons."
conace21

Post by conace21 »

superbowlfanatic wrote:
Teo wrote:Last season, when Tom Brady came to Tampa Bay, WR Chris Godwin let Brady use his #12 and he switched to #14. Another case I remember is when Clinton Portis came to Washington, safety Ifeanyi Ohalaete selled him his #26 (and then I believe he sued him for $20,000 Portis owed to him) and Ohalete changed to #30 in the 2004 preseason, then was waived and he came to Arizona. Also when Eii Manning was drafted by the Chargers and traded to the Giants in 2004, punter Jeff Feagles selled him his #10 and he changed to #18. Do you remember if there have been other similar cases?
Feagles actually changed his number twice on the Giants. The first time you mention, Eli paid him a sum (to switch from #10 to #17) which allowed him to do an entire kitchen makeover in his home.

The second time, Plaxico Burress paid him to change from #17 to #18.

So he made out twice.
Actually, Eli paid for the Feagles family to take a vacation to Florida. Burress was supposed to pay for renovations to an outdoor kitchen in his summer home. However, Burress never actually paid for the renovations. He had a string of lawsuits filed against him, usually over relatively minor unpaid bills.

Clinton Portis also didn't paid Ohalete the second half of the $40,000 he promised in exchange for #26. But Portis at least had a reason. Ohalete was cut in training camp. Unfortunately for Portis, the 1 paragraph contract neglected to cover this scenario and Ohalete sued. Portis ended up settling for $18,000 of the remaining $20,000 he owed
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Searching in my old Street & Smith's magazines, I found that in 1981 Giants center Jim Clack switched from #56 to #58 and rookie Lawrence Taylor took #56. Anyone remembers why? Did Clack retired or was waived, and then returned? He only played 6 games that year, his final season.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Teo did you also collect issues from Lindy's Pro Football ?
I am willing to pay top dollar for any Lindy's Football mags from the beginning issues up untill 2000 ...