Most "badass" RBs of all time

RyanChristiansen

Re: Most "badass" RBs of all time

Post by RyanChristiansen »

Bill "Boom Boom" Brown. Played 14 seasons and only missed 2 games, in 1969. Violent. (He and Joe Kapp together made for an interesting backfield.) He never eclipsed the 1,000-yard mark in a season, and his career average was, well, average, at 3.5 yards per carry. But he was also a productive receiver and had four seasons with over 1,000 yards rushing/receiving. He also happens to be the father-in-law to Rich Gannon.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

RyanChristiansen wrote:Bill "Boom Boom" Brown. Played 14 seasons and only missed 2 games, in 1969. Violent. (He and Joe Kapp together made for an interesting backfield.) He never eclipsed the 1,000-yard mark in a season, and his career average was, well, average, at 3.5 yards per carry. But he was also a productive receiver and had four seasons with over 1,000 yards rushing/receiving. He also happens to be the father-in-law to Rich Gannon.
Oh yeah, Bill Brown. I remember him well from those Detroit-Minn games of the 60s and 70s. Came out of the same factory that assembled Johnny U: tough guy with a brush cut and bowlegged as a pair of parenthesis ( ). A real solid, overlooked back. Is he in the HOVG?
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Cookie Gilchrist has to be in the conversation. Derrick Henry too. Jim Taylor, Larry Csonka, Christian Okoye ...
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
Eagles One

Post by Eagles One »

Jim Brown will always be tops to me. Eagles bias Tom Woodeshick. Tough as nails.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

My favorite are Earl Campbell, John Riggins and Christian Okoye, and Derrick Henry is my favorite of the active RBs.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

The late Craig "Ironhead" Heyward.
RyanChristiansen

Post by RyanChristiansen »

I dunno. O.J. Simpson was pretty badass, I guess. ;-)
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Marshawn Lynch
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Clarke Hinkle has to be in this conversation. Nagurski said Hinkle was "the toughest man I ever played against." They had two memorable collisions and Hinkle was the winner on both occasions.

One came when Hinkle carried off tackle and ran into Nagurski, who was backing up the line. The collision sent Hinkle right back through the hole and into Packer backfield again while Nagurski was knocked down. However, Hinkle's legs kept churning and he went through the hole again and past the fallen Nagurski this time. Bear guard George Musso said it was the only time that a runner went past him three times on the same play.

The other game when Hinkle ran a sweep and was near the sideline when Nagurski closed in on him. Hinkle lowered his shoulder and charged into him. Nagurski had to leave the game but Hinkle didn't. It was the only time Nagurski was ever knocked out of a game.
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Good thread - Ralph brings up some good history with Nags v. Hinkle.

The first ones I thought of have been mentioned, so I'll go with Ross Fiscus and Frank Nesser.