Trivia - Unique Facts About Consecutive Super Bowls

superbowlfanatic

Trivia - Unique Facts About Consecutive Super Bowls

Post by superbowlfanatic »

I am reviving this Trivia post from back in March to see if there is any new interest in finishing it as we are approaching Super Bowl season.
The original explanation below makes this question about determining unique things about consecutive Super Bowl Games.

Here are some clues/topics for the remaining, unanswered somethings: teams appearances/wins/losses & states hosting, grass fields, turf fields, player scoring, birthdays, fumble return TD's, bye weeks before Super Bowls, single-digit team scores, QB uniform numbers, margins of victory, time remaining after game-deciding plays, and coin tosses.

Good luck!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Each of the following pairs of consecutive Super Bowl games had something happen that was unique that has not been repeated in any other pair of consecutive Super Bowls. These are not "first's". They are "only's".
Most are something that happened on the field, others are off the field. But all are directly related to or are about those particular pairs of games.
Some of these are obvious, some are not, and some are a bit of a reach for being considered significant. But all are unique.
(Here's some hints regarding possible criteria: States hosting, coin tosses, uniform numbers, relatives, QB's, players & team scoring, margins of victory, teams' appearances, previous SB history, grass & artificial turf, bye's, winning scores, returns for TD's, birthdays)
Which of these unique "somethings" can you name?
(I am now adding them is as they are answered correctly, with credit for each, given. And I am adding the teams, and replacing the Roman Numerals, too, both as requested.)

2-GB/Oak & 3-NYJ/Colt (there are 2 of them): 1st one: Both MVP's (different players) attended same college [Starr & Namath @ Alabama] (by Wendell02). 2nd one: Only repeat stadium [Orange Bowl] for back-to-back games (by JWL).
5-Colt/Dal & 6-Dal/Mia:
6-Dal/Mia & 7-Mia/Was (there are 2): 1st one: Losing teams (Dolphins & Redskins) did not score offensive TD (new by Sonny9) 2nd one:
7-Mia/Was & 8-Mia/Min (bit of a reach):
8-Mia/Min & 9-Pit/Min (along the same bit of a reach, plus 2 additional ones):
9-Pit/Min & 10-Pit/Dal (there are 3, one of which is really esoteric): 1st one: Safeties scored by the same team [Steelers] (by 65 toss power trap). 2nd one: 3rd one:
11-Oak/Min & 12-Dal/Den: Only Referee [Jim Tunney] to work consecutive Super Bowls (by 65 toss power trap).
13-Pit/Dal & 14-Pit/LARams: Only consecutive Super Bowls where same winning Quarterback [Bradshaw] passed for 300+ yards. (new by GameBeforeTheMoney)
14-Pit/LARams & 15-Oak/Phi (there are 2): 1st one: Same 2 states represented by 4 different teams (added by 65 toss power trap) 2nd one: Only consecutive Super Bowls with brothers [Matt (Pit) & Chris (Oak) Bahr] scoring points, and doing so for the winning teams. (by Teo)
21-NYG/Den & 22-Was/Den (there are 2):
27-Dal/Buf & 28-Dal/Buf (there's 3, one of which is not so obvious): 1st one: Only rematch of teams from previous year (by ChrisBabcock). 2nd one: Same TV Broadcast Team [NBC's Dick Enberg & Bob Trumpy] (by 65 toss power trap) 3rd one:
28-Dal/Buf & 29-SF/SD (a bit of a reach for being "significant", but still unique):
36-NE/StL & 37-TB/Oak:
38-NE/Car & 39-NE/Phi:
41-Ind/Chi & 42-NYG/NE: Only pair of brothers [Peyton & Eli Manning] being named consecutive Super Bowl MVP's (by JuggernautJ)
42-NYG/NE & 43-Pit/Ari:
43-Pit/Ari & 44-NO/Ind:
47-Rav/SF & 48-Sea/Den (there are 2): 1st one: Safeties as consecutive scoring plays in Super Bowl history from one game to the next (by 65 toss power trap) 2nd one:
54-KC/SF & 55-TB/SF (sort of a reach):

(Of course, there have to be other "significant" unique things that happened in consecutive Super Bowl games that could be added to this list.)
Last edited by superbowlfanatic on Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:12 pm, edited 30 times in total.
racepug

Re: Trivia - Unique Facts About Consecutive Super Bowls

Post by racepug »

Nice! I've done a LOT of research on N.F.L. teams (so that I can run my virtual "All-Time Greats" league) but this is some pretty esoteric stuff you've come up with. Are we allowed to look things up or are we expected to come up with these off of the top of our head?
Wendell02

Post by Wendell02 »

II & III: Both winning QBs played at the University of Alabama.

I wish you had listed the teams. Its hard enough to translate these Roman numerals, much less remember who played, especially for us old farts.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

XXVII & XXVIII - The only rematch of the teams from the previous year's Super Bowl.
JWL

Post by JWL »

Wendell02 wrote:II & III: Both winning QBs played at the University of Alabama.

I wish you had listed the teams. Its hard enough to translate these Roman numerals, much less remember who played, especially for us old farts.
You don't have to use those dopey letters.

2 and 3 were played in the same stadium.
65 toss power trap

Post by 65 toss power trap »

Probably not what you're looking for, but XI and XII were the only time a referee, Jim Tunney, worked consecutive Super Bowls. That won't happen again unless they remove the clause from the CBA.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

IX and X both featured safeties. Can't be blocked punts, because XI had one of those too.
superbowlfanatic

Jay Z wrote:IX and X both featured safeties. Can't be blocked punts, because XI had one of those too.
You are on the correct track, but slightly more specific, or else it's not unique.
superbowlfanatic

racepug wrote:Nice! I've done a LOT of research on N.F.L. teams (so that I can run my virtual "All-Time Greats" league) but this is some pretty esoteric stuff you've come up with. Are we allowed to look things up or are we expected to come up with these off of the top of our head?
Some you may know off the top of your head.
Some you'll have to look up, unless you possess encyclopedic knowledge.
superbowlfanatic

Wendell02 wrote:II & III: Both winning QBs played at the University of Alabama.

Yes you are correct - consecutive MVP's from same college.

I will add the teams to the list.