Trivia - Unique Facts About Consecutive Super Bowls

superbowlfanatic

Re: Trivia - Unique Facts About Consecutive Super Bowls

Post by superbowlfanatic »

Sonny9 wrote:6-Dal/Mia & 7-Mia/Was:

losing team did not score an offensive TD?

A kicker was responsible for all the points for the losing team?

7-Mia/Was & 8-Mia/Min (bit of a reach):

winning team threw for less than 100 yards?
Your 6 & 7: losing team did not score an offensive TD?
is a NEW one, and I believe that it is unique. It's not what I had in mind (it's more about SB history), but that's a good one - thank you!

Your 7 & 8: winning team threw for less than 100 yards
My facts are NOT that specific. But yours may be correct as that's probably the only time that's happened for winning teams in successive games.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

65 toss power trap wrote:Probably not what you're looking for, but XI and XII were the only time a referee, Jim Tunney, worked consecutive Super Bowls. That won't happen again unless they remove the clause from the CBA.
Field judge Tom Sifferman worked three straight Super Bowls (after the 2002, 2003 and 2004 season). I also have trouble remembering the Roman numerals.
Both SIfferman and Tunney are the only officials to have worked at least two straight Super Bowls.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Correct me if I'm wrong: I believe that Deion Sanders was the first player to have won back-to-back Super Bowls with different teams, but I think that Dwayne O'Steen was the first one to have played it back-to-back with two different teams (XIV Rams, XV Raiders):
superbowlfanatic

Teo wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong: I believe that Deion Sanders was the first player to have won back-to-back Super Bowls with different teams, but I think that Dwayne O'Steen was the first one to have played it back-to-back with two different teams (XIV Rams, XV Raiders):
You are so close on both:
Ken Norton Dal 28 & SF 29 beats Deion by a year. (there are only 2 other players to have done this since then, and those 2 do not include 2 others who were inactive for one game each)

And Preston Person Pit 9 & Dal 10 is the only player to appear in consecutive games with different teams before O'Steen did it five years later.
superbowlfanatic

Teo wrote:
65 toss power trap wrote:Probably not what you're looking for, but XI and XII were the only time a referee, Jim Tunney, worked consecutive Super Bowls. That won't happen again unless they remove the clause from the CBA.
Field judge Tom Sifferman worked three straight Super Bowls (after the 2002, 2003 and 2004 season). I also have trouble remembering the Roman numerals.
Both SIfferman and Tunney are the only officials to have worked at least two straight Super Bowls.
Yes, you are correct, Tunney & Sifferman are the only Field Officials to work consecutive Super Bowls.
I only included Referees in my list of facts, as most people (besides us) don't pay much attention to the other Zebra's

If you go crazy and consider Alternate Field Officials, Jerry Markbreit had 4 straight Super Bowls 19 through 22, but he was the actual Ref for only SB 21 in that quartet, and the Alternate for the other 3 games.
Terry Baldshaw

Post by Terry Baldshaw »

I'm not sure if a player has to play in the Super Bowl or only be a member of a team, but QB Gale Gilbert was a member of five consecutive Super Bowl teams: Buffalo '90-'93 and San Diego '94.
superbowlfanatic

Terry Baldshaw wrote:I'm not sure if a player has to play in the Super Bowl or only be a member of a team, but QB Gale Gilbert was a member of five consecutive Super Bowl teams: Buffalo '90-'93 and San Diego '94.
Gale Gilbert: Bills 4 Super Bowls in a row, followed by the Chargers in XXIX.
He was a "member" of all 5 of those consecutive teams, but ...
He was not active for the Bills in Super Bowl XXV.
He was active for the Bills in Super Bowls XXVI, XXVII, and XXVIII but did not play in those three games.
He did play for the Chargers in XXXIX.

So it depends on how one defines being a "member" of a team, or having "appeared" in a game.
65 toss power trap

Post by 65 toss power trap »

superbowlfanatic wrote: 27-28: Yes Same TV network, so to get to my fact and make it unique, you have to take it one step farther.
Same booth tandem
superbowlfanatic

65 toss power trap wrote:
superbowlfanatic wrote: 27-28: Yes Same TV network, so to get to my fact and make it unique, you have to take it one step farther.
Same booth tandem
Correct! Dick Enberg ("Oh my!") and Bob Trumpy.
superbowlfanatic

JuggernautJ wrote: 41 & 42 both had MVP QBs named Manning but they weren't the same person (41 Peyton and 42 Eli). That has to be "unique."
It is very hard to know what you're looking for without a little more information (clues).
Brothers as consecutive SB MVP's is correct.

I have added more hints/clues to the original post.