Why Claude Watts never played in the NFL, AFL or CFL?

Gary Najman

Why Claude Watts never played in the NFL, AFL or CFL?

Post by Gary Najman »

I came up with the stats of former RB Claude Watts, who starred for many teams and minor leagues from 1963-1975 (he finished his last two seasons with the Philadelphia Bell of the WFL and still was productive at age 35). Do you know why he never played in the NFL, AFL or CFL?
TodMaher

Re: Why Claude Watts never played in the NFL, AFL or CFL?

Post by TodMaher »

Teo wrote:I came up with the stats of former RB Claude Watts, who starred for many teams and minor leagues from 1963-1975 (he finished his last two seasons with the Philadelphia Bell of the WFL and still was productive at age 35). Do you know why he never played in the NFL, AFL or CFL?
I don't why he never played in the NFL/AFL/CFL but he was in camp with Detroit in 1962, Kansas City in 1963, Winnipeg in 1964 and then his final shot was with Cincinnati in 1968. Except for the Chiefs (8/27/1963) he was always an early cut (late July).
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

The Chiefs were pretty stacked at RB with Abner Hayes, Curtis McClinton, and Jack Spikes so that might explain his early exit from KC.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I know the Chiefs liked Mack Lee Hill in 1964 but I thought Abner Haynes got a raw deal being traded to Denver in 1965. I still believe it was his protest of the AFL all-star game and Steadman was the culprit though Stram may have approved as well ... Should have made the HOF
RyanChristiansen

Post by RyanChristiansen »

Teo wrote:I came up with the stats of former RB Claude Watts, who starred for many teams and minor leagues from 1963-1975 (he finished his last two seasons with the Philadelphia Bell of the WFL and still was productive at age 35). Do you know why he never played in the NFL, AFL or CFL?
How Watts explains it: "A little school like [Bluefield State] doesn't draw too many scouts. At least it didn't when I was there. I was a pretty good country back. My senior year I averaged 150 yards a game. When I first came out of school, most of the players were from Minnesota, Michigan State, and Notre Dame." - June 12, 1974, Philadelphia Inquirer
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
RyanChristiansen

Post by RyanChristiansen »

"[Winnipeg Blue] Bombers also announced the signing of fullback-halfback Claude Watts from Cleveland Bulldogs of the United League." - January 29, 1964, Edmonton Journal

Bud Grant was the coach at the time. You might be able to find out from him why Watts wasn't CFL material, but you better hurry.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium