Favorite NFL uniforms

racepug

Favorite NFL uniforms

Post by racepug »

That other thread about uniform peculiarities brought this to mind. Strictly out of curiosity, what are your favorite NFL uniforms (past or present)? My favorites include: the 49ers' (in particular the ones in use when Garrison Hearst was running for them. But I didn't mind the "throwback" ones they wore in 1994 - but the white pants with the road white jersey, not the home red so much); the Raiders' home uniforms (any vintage); the Tennessee Titans' (of the vintage of the S.B. loss to the Rams); the WFT "throwback" ones (that resemble those of the Florida State Seminoles); the Buccaneers' (both the "Creamsicle" [home] ones and the ones they wore in the S.B. victory over the Raiders; the Cardinals' ones from the '60s and '70s (both the home and road ones); the Jacksonville Jaguars' original ones (again, both home and away); the Saints' (but with the gold pants [both home and away] a la those worn in the 1980s/1990s - not the current all black ones so much); the current Seahawks' uniforms (the home ones and the "regular" road ones - the same combo they used to destroy Denver in S.B. XLVIII). You?
JuggernautJ

Re: Favorite NFL uniforms

Post by JuggernautJ »

I know it is sacrilege but I always liked the 1966 Steelers uniforms with the "Caped Crusaders" look... the ones with the "golden triangle" around the neck area. Probably because I grew up with them (and I was raised to be a Steelers fan).

I also liked the 1994 49ers design with the "drop shadow" around the numbers.
And it was the last time they won a super bowl so perhaps it is time we try those again...

Other unusual uniforms I liked:
The Eagles when they wore white helmets with green wings
The WFT when they wore the yellow helmets with the red circle R
The Chargers in their "powder blue"
And the old style Rams and Colts when they wore all white and the blue stripes (and helmets) looked black on my old black and white TV. Again.... the 1960's...
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Late 60s Redskins unis, with the spear helmets ...
Also, 60s Raiders uniforms with the more silver looking helmets. Especially, the uniforms with the silver numerals with black trim they wore against the Colts in the 1970 AFC Championship game ...
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

I am a Cowboys fan and my favorite uniform was their blue jerseys they used until 1980 (I remember the fuzz when they went to Philadelphia for the NFC Championship, and the Eagles elected to wear white, and it was said that the Cowboys blue jerseys gave them "bad luck"). A few years ago I went to then-Cowboys Stadium and there was in the official store a Roger Staubach blue replica jersey that cost three times more than the Tony Dorsett's or Randy White's white replica jerseys.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Two of my favorite former uniforms was the Patriots' from the mid-80s (when they went to Super Bowl XX), both red and white uniforms. Interestingly, I also like the Patriots current uniforms, but for some reason they look to me more USFLish than from one of the original AFL teams.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I have always liked the Cowboys uniforms but felt they mostly played bad in their blue away uniforms from the 60s-70s ... That 78 NFC Championship win against the Rams was the only game I ever saw them play well in those uniforms. I cant stand the Thanksgiving game unis that Jerry Jones makes them wear every year. Nothing like honoring uniforms from a 1960, 0-11-1 season, eh Jones ?
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

Orange Crush Broncos probably my favorite....Houston Oilers in the late 70s were great uniforms....also the old Dolphins uniforms were awesome....

When I was a kid the late 70s/early 80s Chargers had the blue helmets and I'd see pictures of Lance Alworth with the white helmets. I always thought the white helmets would be cooler to see but now I miss the old blue helmets and think they look better.....

Also remember the big discussion around the Cowboys blue uniforms and if they had some sort of effect on the team....If I remember right, I think that Landry chose white at home because darker jerseys held heat longer and the white jerseys were supposedly cooler throughout the game....
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
vikingsfan1963

Post by vikingsfan1963 »

I go with the Chargers of the early 70s as well as the Oilers with the silver helmet. The Raiders road uniforms from the same era with the silver numerals with black piping.
RyanChristiansen

Post by RyanChristiansen »

I wouldn't say this is my favorite, but it's underappreciated. I've included an image of a local semi-pro team here in Fargo that is wearing a similar scheme.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Buccaneers away whites.jpg (53.41 KiB) Viewed 15894 times
Fargo Invaders
Fargo Invaders
Fargo_Invaders_tailgating_pics_0024.jpg (132.59 KiB) Viewed 15894 times
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

The classic Baltimore Colts uniforms of the 1960s. Blue and white, crisp and uncluttered. And I grew up thinking the logo on the side of the helmet was a U that stood for Unitas. (That's what happens when you're watching the games on a b/w TV with a blurry 12-inch screen. I was about 11 when I finally realized, "Hey, that's a horseshoe.")