Looking Back: The AFC Central Division 1992-2002

Brian wolf

Looking Back: The AFC Central Division 1992-2002

Post by Brian wolf »

What a true, black and blue division. The AFC Central from 1992, with the emergence of the Steelers, till realignment in 2002.

The greatest collection of team running backs in NFL History, with Bettis for the Steelers in the HOF, with cases for George(Oilers-Titans) Dillon(Bengals-Patriots) Taylor(Jaguars) Holmes(Ravens-Chiefs) and Lewis(Ravens-Browns)

A great decade for ball-control running attacks and physical defenses, which helped Bill Cowher make the HOF ...
Brian wolf

Re: Looking Back: The AFC Central Division 1992-2002

Post by Brian wolf »

In addition to the great running backs from the AFC Central during the 90's, a number of HOF players as well and many other players with cases, or very good careers ...

AFC Central HOF players ... 1990s

Dawson, Bettis, Faneca, Woodson, Greene ... Steelers
Ogden, Lewis ... Ravens
Matthews, Moon ... Oilers-Titans
Munoz ... Bengals

Players with great careers/HOF Cases

Ward, Porter(rookies in 98/99) Lake, Lloyd, Nickerson, Kirkland, Brown ... Steelers
George, McNair, Mason, Runyan, Rolle, Givens ... Oilers-Titans
Holmes, J Lewis ... Ravens
Boselli, Searcy, Taylor, Smith, McCardell ... Jaguars
Krumrie, Anderson, Dillon, Spikes ... Bengals

I might have forgotten some other outstanding players, especially from the early 90s, with alot of initial free agency movement, especially from the Steelers ...
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Brian wolf wrote:In addition to the great running backs from the AFC Central during the 90's, a number of HOF players as well and many other players with cases, or very good careers ...

AFC Central HOF players ... 1990s

Dawson, Bettis, Faneca, Woodson, Greene ... Steelers
Ogden, Lewis ... Ravens
Matthews, Moon ... Oilers-Titans
Munoz ... Bengals

Players with great careers/HOF Cases

Ward, Porter(rookies in 98/99) Lake, Lloyd, Nickerson, Kirkland, Brown ... Steelers
George, McNair, Mason, Runyan, Rolle, Givens ... Oilers-Titans
Holmes, J Lewis ... Ravens
Boselli, Searcy, Taylor, Smith, McCardell ... Jaguars
Krumrie, Anderson, Dillon, Spikes ... Bengals

I might have forgotten some other outstanding players, especially from the early 90s, with alot of initial free agency movement, especially from the Steelers ...
Also from the early 90s Munchak was still with the Oilers.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Thanks for pointing that out Teo, I knew I had forgotten Munchak ... alot of good to great players from the early 90s, like Fuller as well from the Oilers-Titans. I was a big fan of Thomas Everett with the Steelers and was ecstatic when Johnson got him for the Cowboys ...
One thing about games from that division, they were going to be physical as hell ... Cowher's ability to coach up players that replaced the veterans who left for free agency is what put him in the HOF in my opinion. Great drafting yes, but these players could always fill the breach. Until Ben anyway, all Cowher needed was a QB ...
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Cowher's arrival in the 'Burgh coinciding with the Dave Shula-and-beyond anti-era in Cincy...the Steelers would, just like that, now own the Bengals here-on-out as opposed to the '80s! What a fine, just-one-SB-berth run those first six seasons under Cowher was! Quintessential smash-mouth, blue-collar Steeler football like always, but now winning again! Just what the doctor ordered after the relative struggles throughout the post-Dynasty '80s! Belichick cutting his teeth as a head coach, the arrival of the Jaguars who became a sudden-rival to the Steelers as well as a contender, the brief departure of the Browns/birth of Ravens, Oilers becoming the Titans thus suddenly becoming a contender as well, Cowher suffers a brief hiatus from contention, Browns return and then comes 2002!!

A large division of six teams the AFC Central became from '99-thru-'01 (Bal, Cin, Cle, Jax, Pit, Ten) but IMO not too large for me! PACKED with rivalries, new and old! As I've opined before here, I understand that this current 4-4-4-4 format is easier for the schedule-makers, but if it were up to me there never at all would have been a realignment in '02! Each conference 6-5-5! Just add the Texans to the NFC East (with Dallas) making that very division the 6-teamer of the NFC, keep Seattle in the AFC West, keep Peyton & Tom in same division, keep TB in the NFC Central (especially since they were good now thus finally, properly developing true rivalries within division, and last but not least...keep the Jags & Titans where they are with the four others (if it ain't broke...)!
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:A large division of six teams the AFC Central became from '99-thru-'01 (Bal, Cin, Cle, Jax, Pit, Ten) but IMO not too large for me! PACKED with rivalries, new and old! As I've opined before here, I understand that this current 4-4-4-4 format is easier for the schedule-makers, but if it were up to me there never at all would have been a realignment in '02! Each conference 6-5-5! Just add the Texans to the NFC East (with Dallas) making that very division the 6-teamer of the NFC, keep Seattle in the AFC West, keep Peyton & Tom in same division, keep TB in the NFC Central (especially since they were good now thus finally, properly developing true rivalries within division, and last but not least...keep the Jags & Titans where they are with the four others (if it ain't broke...)!
The 4-4-4-4 format has the disadvantage of having 7-9 teams in the playoffs now and again, which is not ideal.

6-5-5... it was one thing in 1970-75 when the NFL had 5-4-4 divisions. 13 teams, there was no way it was going to be even. But taking that on intentionally? Let's see, assume 16 games, you've got 10 division games for the 6 team div and 8 for the 5 team divisions. Assume you use something like the 1970-75 schedule, the two extra games go to the division, 3 non-conference games, so you play each team there once every 5 or 6 years. A 5 team division plays the 6 team twice every year, except they have to skip once every 5 years, play an extra non-conference game because 2 x 10 <> 6 x 3. So 9 games every 5 years, you play every team in the 6 team division 3 times in 10 years. Or 6 in 20, if you want to even up the head to head, if you want to keep this loopy schedule that long. Then the 5 team division plays 3 of the teams in the other 5 team division every year. So you play those teams 6 times every 10 years, or twice as often as you play the 6 team division... for no really good reason, except someone wants a six team division. Sorry, pass! Not the kind of thing I want to explain to my kids!!! :lol:
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Though I am a Marchibroda fan, it seemed like he couldnt do anything with Belichick's former Browns players-turned Ravens. Though he helped Testaverde become a better passer, the team transitioned from veterans to younger players very quickly, though some would stay and help the Ravens win a SB in 2000 with Billick. Keeping Marvin Lewis to run the defense was the best move Billick made because he made a mistake going with Grbac over Dilfer in 2001.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Is Eddie George deserving of the HOF ?

I believe yes. His last two years in the league were injury plagued but he was a battering ram who rushed for 10,000 yards in eight seasons and was simply worn out at the end.
Like Dillon, Bettis and Taylor, defenses knew he was coming and despite QB McNair's toughness, defenses knew McNair was mostly comfortable throwing to his tight ends until WR Mason emerged, so George faced eight-nine man fronts.

What helps George, is the team mostly won games with his contributions, which hasnt happened again until recently with similiar back Derrick Henry. I felt his ability to help the team win gives him a solid case, though his yards per carry average, fell off his last two years ...