73-0!!!!????

74_75_78_79_

73-0!!!!????

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

The most lopsided victory in NFL history...the most lopsided victory ever in ANY professional sport-period!

And this wasn't Buccaneers at Steelers in '76 mind you (which was "only" 42-0), but a League CHAMPIONSHIP Game! Washington having a better record than Chicago (9-2 to 8-3) and having beaten them during the regular season! And against...Flaherty and Baugh - who already had experience winning the title, and against those very George Halas Bears three years prior, the game being at Griffith not Wrigley, etc, etc (Luckman only throwing SIX passes)!

Very lopsided sporting events take place, and at times amongst two contenders. But how do you explain THIS one??

I guess 'Jaguars 62, Dolphins 7' fifty-nine years later is the second-most-lopsided playoff game ever! But what would be the second-most-lopsided NFL game-period?

PS - Correct me if wrong, but I do believe the Bears were actually favorite going into that game! This interesting despite, again, Washington having a better record and having beaten them weeks earlier along with the game being at Griffith instead of Wrigley.
ChrisBabcock

Re: 73-0!!!!????

Post by ChrisBabcock »

These may tie for second most lopsided. (60-0)
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... pts_lose=0

Rochester had a 66-0 victory over a non-league opponent in 1920 too.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

That victory, along with Stanford's 10-0-0 record after having gone 1-7-1 the previous season, went a long way toward convincing other coaches that they should adopt the T-formation.
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

rhickok1109 wrote:That victory, along with Stanford's 10-0-0 record after having gone 1-7-1 the previous season, went a long way toward convincing other coaches that they should adopt the T-formation.
RRMarshall

Post by RRMarshall »

My favorite quote from that game came from Washington QB Sammy Baugh. When asked if the game would have turned out differently if one of his receivers hadn't dropped a sure TD pass early in the game he replied:"Yeah, the score would have been 73-7." Who knew the HOFer could be so eloquent?
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

RRMarshall wrote:My favorite quote from that game came from Washington QB Sammy Baugh. When asked if the game would have turned out differently if one of his receivers hadn't dropped a sure TD pass early in the game he replied:"Yeah, the score would have been 73-7." Who knew the HOFer could be so eloquent?
Sammy Baugh said this again in The Way it Was TV series in 1976.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:Very lopsided sporting events take place, and at times amongst two contenders. But how do you explain THIS one??
Quite simply, Ray Flaherty and the Redskins insisted on passing the entire game despite being hopelessly behind. The Bears went in to halftime leading 28-0, and proceeded to return 3 INTs for TDs in the 2nd half. The Redskins threw 51 times, and ended up throwing more INTS (8) than gaining rushing yards (5). George Preston Marshall criticized Frank FIlchock after the game for "passing the ball on almost every down...and generally to the other team." Good stuff.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

A great job by Shaughnessy with the Bears but I wonder which other teams he consulted-help implement the T-Formation ?
There were writers that laughed at his passing ideas and concepts but now the modern game is mostly that way ...
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Pop Warner : "If Stanford ever wins a single game with that crazy formation, you can throw all the football I ever knew into the Pacific Ocean. What they're doing is ridiculous."
single wing

Post by single wing »

While i realize your post was about the NFL how about this game below

The 1916 Cumberland vs. Georgia Tech football game was the most lopsided in the history of college football, with Georgia Tech winning 222–0. The game was played on October 7, 1916, between the Georgia Tech Engineers and Cumberland College Bulldogs at Grant Field (now a part of Bobby Dodd Stadium) in Atlanta. The recap of the play by play of this game that can be found on the internet is the most bizarre thing i ever read.