How was home field determined for pre-1966 div. playoffs?

RichardBak

Re: How was home field determined for pre-1966 div. playoffs

Post by RichardBak »

Wow, ol' Y.A. really lit up GB. Of course, it doesn't hurt to have Paul Lowe in the backfield.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

Throwin_Samoan wrote:Yeaaaaaah, but ( a ) I didn't say "make the playoffs," and ( b ) the games to determine who "won their division (/conference)" were referred to as "playoffs," so that's the correct nomenclature.

I asked how they determined who hosted those playoffs, which were one game tiebreakers.
You asked how they determined who hosted the playoff game to decide the division champion and I answered.

My observation of how things were different pre-1967 was a separate topic. I vividly remember watching the 1965 Packer-Colt playoff game for the Western Division title. It was one of the most dramatic football games I ever saw.
racepug

Post by racepug »

SixtiesFan wrote:
Throwin_Samoan wrote:Yeaaaaaah, but ( a ) I didn't say "make the playoffs," and ( b ) the games to determine who "won their division (/conference)" were referred to as "playoffs," so that's the correct nomenclature.

I asked how they determined who hosted those playoffs, which were one game tiebreakers.
You asked how they determined who hosted the playoff game to decide the division champion and I answered.

My observation of how things were different pre-1967 was a separate topic. I vividly remember watching the 1965 Packer-Colt playoff game for the Western Division title. It was one of the most dramatic football games I ever saw.
Huh. I was watching a video the other day concerning the history of the Green Bay Packers and I saw a highlight from that game that very strongly suggests that the Packers got away with one in that one. The FG that tied the game late in regulation. Heck, even their placekicker seemed to think he'd missed it! (During the video it was explained that after that controversy Pete Rozelle had the length the goalposts increased by, I think, 20 feet)
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

racepug wrote:
SixtiesFan wrote:

Huh. I was watching a video the other day concerning the history of the Green Bay Packers and I saw a highlight from that game that very strongly suggests that the Packers got away with one in that one. The FG that tied the game late in regulation. Heck, even their placekicker seemed to think he'd missed it! (During the video it was explained that after that controversy Pete Rozelle had the length the goalposts increased by, I think, 20 feet)
The kick was a short one, 25 yards. I don't think the film of the kick is ideal because the ball goes out of frame briefly, and is clearly beyond the goal post when it goes back in. But lengthening the goal post was certainly the right move!