World War II Years

ChaseStuart

World War II Years

Post by ChaseStuart »

Does anyone have any links to good research on how depleted the league was during those years?
rhickok1109

Re: World War II Years

Post by rhickok1109 »

ChaseStuart wrote:Does anyone have any links to good research on how depleted the league was during those years?
I can't help with links, but the Neft-Cohen Encyclopedia for the relevant seasons lists all the players who went into military service.
RyanChristiansen

Post by RyanChristiansen »

ChaseStuart wrote:Does anyone have any links to good research on how depleted the league was during those years?
A quick Google search (keywords: nfl "world war ii") revealed several articles, but it sounds like you're looking for something more comprehensive? The word "depleted" could relate to multiple things, including talent pool and also revenue. The PFRA does have lists of players who served, but any assessment of "how depleted" in terms of talent will always be a subjective exercise. We do know that the NFL teams faced revenue issues, but even in the face of that they played exhibition games and donated to the war effort. What are you looking for?
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
ChaseStuart

Post by ChaseStuart »

RyanChristiansen wrote:
A quick Google search (keywords: nfl "world war ii") revealed several articles, but it sounds like you're looking for something more comprehensive? The word "depleted" could relate to multiple things, including talent pool and also revenue. The PFRA does have lists of players who served, but any assessment of "how depleted" in terms of talent will always be a subjective exercise. We do know that the NFL teams faced revenue issues, but even in the face of that they played exhibition games and donated to the war effort. What are you looking for?
Good question -- at a high level, a way to answer how much Don Hutson's performance was inflated in those years. Was half the league gone then? 75%? 15% I could research it myself, but wanted to see what was out there first. I probably will research it myself at some point anyway.
RyanChristiansen

Post by RyanChristiansen »

ChaseStuart wrote:
RyanChristiansen wrote:
What are you looking for?
Good question -- at a high level, a way to answer how much Don Hutson's performance was inflated in those years. Was half the league gone then? 75%? 15% I could research it myself, but wanted to see what was out there first. I probably will research it myself at some point anyway.
I would be sure to take a more nuanced approach. The number of players who left the game is a number you can determine, sure, but who's to say they would have played as well as expected if they had stayed? You also need to look at the talented college players who served in World War II instead of playing professionally.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
ChaseStuart

Post by ChaseStuart »

Yep, that's a good point, too.