Jim Otis

Bryan

Re: Jim Otis

Post by Bryan »

RichardBak wrote:Ha! Until you just mentioned it, I'd forgot that Otis actually led the NFC that year. I've grown so used to a bunch of guys routinely rushing for 1,000 yds each season the last 30-40 years, it's sometimes hard to recall a time when it actually was still a pretty notable achievement. 1975 was still a 14-game schedule. I see Otis beat out Chuck Forman by just 6 yards.
Mark Van Eeghan led the AFC in rushing in 1977, but I'm not sure if any other white RB has led their conference in rushing since Otis did it in 1975, so Terry Metcalf was somewhat prophetic. Maybe McCaffery with the Panthers has done it recently.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

Bryan wrote:
RichardBak wrote:Ha! Until you just mentioned it, I'd forgot that Otis actually led the NFC that year. I've grown so used to a bunch of guys routinely rushing for 1,000 yds each season the last 30-40 years, it's sometimes hard to recall a time when it actually was still a pretty notable achievement. 1975 was still a 14-game schedule. I see Otis beat out Chuck Forman by just 6 yards.
Mark Van Eeghan led the AFC in rushing in 1977, but I'm not sure if any other white RB has led their conference in rushing since Otis did it in 1975, so Terry Metcalf was somewhat prophetic. Maybe McCaffery with the Panthers has done it recently.
McCaffery did lead the NFC in rushing in 2019. In 2018 he was the first white 1,000 yard rusher since John Riggins.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Jay Z wrote:McCaffery did lead the NFC in rushing in 2019. In 2018 he was the first white 1,000 yard rusher since John Riggins.
Aye, how soon they forget the immortal Peyton Hillis...
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Bryan wrote:
Jay Z wrote:McCaffery did lead the NFC in rushing in 2019. In 2018 he was the first white 1,000 yard rusher since John Riggins.
Forever immortalized with the Madden cover.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Reaser wrote:
Bryan wrote:
Forever immortalized with the Madden cover.
The story I heard was that Denver shipped him to Cleveland because Hillis was in a bar hitting on some woman...and that woman was Josh McDaniels' wife. Oops.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

Bryan wrote:
On page 246 of the 1990 book, The Pro Football Chronicle, a section on the 1980s has a "Famous Lasts." One is "White 1,000 yard rusher (Craig James).
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

Thanks folks for correcting my research on the minor topic of Caucasian ground gainers!

Jim Otis is also of minor note for being pictured wearing a toupee on a football card! An honor he shares with Carroll Dale, at least! Hank Stram need not apply, as coaches were not featured on football cards!