Harold Carmichael vs Harold Jackson

Eagles One

Harold Carmichael vs Harold Jackson

Post by Eagles One »

Harold Carmichael (who was initially a tight end and teammate of Harold Jackson) was a 4x Pro Bowler and league leader one time in reception yards. Jackson was a 5x Pro-Bowler and 1x All-Pro who led the league twice in reception yards and one time in touchdowns. Carmichael had a massive height advantage over Jackson 6'8" compared to Jackson at 5'10". I don't know how many receivers under 6 feet have accomplished as much as Jackson. Yet Carmichael is in the HOF and Jackson not. Any thoughts?
RichardBak

Re: Harold Carmichael vs Harold Jackson

Post by RichardBak »

Their stats really are remarkably similar. I've always thought one thing that can work against a borderline HOF candidate in any sport is if the guy moves a round a lot, or can't quite be identified with a particular team. Carmichael spent 13 years with Eagles and then wrapped up his career with 2 games, 1 catch for 7 yds., with Dallas. He's forever that tall freak who nabbed passes in Philly---that's him in a nutshell, that's the shorthand HOF voters can use. Jackson played for 5 teams, including 2 stints with Rams, so it's a little harder to say he's this or that. Anyway, that's my two zlotys.
RRMarshall

Post by RRMarshall »

Carmichael played in the Super Bowl, Jackson never did. It sounds like a trivial distinction but for some reason it is a big deal with many voters, perhaps more so for QBs but it is a factor. I was involved with the campaign to get Andre Tippett in the HOF over a decade ago and yes, even though his Pats' were blown out in his lone SB appearance it was a point in his favor. Yes, the point about Jackson playing for several teams is also a drawback. But yes, he should be in Hall as is the case for many of the players from his era. But I doubt it will happen. But I will never forget his 4 TD game against the Cowboys in 1973, you would think Tom Landry would have adjusted his Dooms Day Defense!
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Though I would have put Jackson in the HOF first, I had no problem with Carmichael making it as a Centennial Class pick, due to good TD numbers, though naturally, I would have preferred older veterans like Benton, Howton, Powell or Retzlaff to go in first.
With Jackson's speed and big play ability, running teams like the Rams or Patriots should have went to and possibly won a SB but blew too many chances. Carmichael gained momentum as a player with the arrival of Jaworski and Vermeil and the rule changes of 77 and 78. Early in his career, I felt his teammate Charle Young was the better player but Carmichael blossomed more, once he left.