Vincent Jackson and CTE?

RichardBak

Vincent Jackson and CTE?

Post by RichardBak »

https://sports.yahoo.com/autopsy-report ... 14319.html

Only 38 and quite likely already suffering from CTE. His apparent alcoholism is in line with people with mental issues self-medicating. Brain trauma leading to early-onset dementia is a very real problem that has nearly every old-time player I've spoken to over the last few years scared to death of what might be waiting down the road for them and their families. I can remember working once in a documentary with Terry Barr, who's totally fine, and next time I saw him 3-4 years later he was being led around with a blank look on his face at a reunion. The change was just incredible. And scary. He's not the only former player I've seen undergo such a transformation. As much as I dislike some of the rule changes, I can understand what the NFL's trying to do to protect the players. I'm only surprised that someone like Joe Schmidt, who played MLB for 13 seasons, is 87 and not exhibiting any symptoms beyond the occasional brain fart we all get as we age.
rhickok1109

Re: Vincent Jackson and CTE?

Post by rhickok1109 »

RichardBak wrote:https://sports.yahoo.com/autopsy-report ... 14319.html

Only 38 and quite likely already suffering from CTE. His apparent alcoholism is in line with people with mental issues self-medicating. Brain trauma leading to early-onset dementia is a very real problem that has nearly every old-time player I've spoken to over the last few years scared to death of what might be waiting down the road for them and their families. I can remember working once in a documentary with Terry Barr, who's totally fine, and next time I saw him 3-4 years later he was being led around with a blank look on his face at a reunion. The change was just incredible. And scary. He's not the only former player I've seen undergo such a transformation. As much as I dislike some of the rule changes, I can understand what the NFL's trying to do to protect the players. I'm only surprised that someone like Joe Schmidt, who played MLB for 13 seasons, is 87 and not exhibiting any symptoms beyond the occasional brain fart we all get as we age.
Yes, there are far too many tragic stories associated with CTE.

I'm curiious about something...I met and/or interviewed a number of real old-time players, including George Halas, Red Grange, Mike Michalske, Cal Hubbard, Bronko Nagurski, Duke Osborn, Jug Earp, Boob Darling, Ernie Nevers, Mel Hein, when they were in their 60s and 70s and never saw signs of any mental issues. Was it not an issue with players from the 1920s and 1930s? Or was it simply not talked about?
lastcat3

Post by lastcat3 »

rhickok1109 wrote:

I'm curiious about something...I met and/or interviewed a number of real old-time players, including George Halas, Red Grange, Mike Michalske, Cal Hubbard, Bronko Nagurski, Duke Osborn, Jug Earp, Boob Darling, Ernie Nevers, Mel Hein, when they were in their 60s and 70s and never saw signs of any mental issues. Was it not an issue with players from the 1920s and 1930s? Or was it simply not talked about?
Well it likely isn't something that shows up all the time unless it is really severe. Probably only people who are around them on a regular basis would probably be able to pick up on it. Keep in mind that the players are hitting each other a lot harder now than they ever were before and that plays a big part in it. Even though the rules are safer now than they were when those players played most of those players probably would have been smaller than todays punters and simply wouldn't have been able to hit others as hard as they can now.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

I think you're right about it just not being talked about back then. Of course, even today most families are understandably protective about things like that, though with a better understanding of CTE more families of players are demanding answers (as well as compensation to help foot the medical costs of FB-induced dementia).

You would think that the guys who played in the early decades (1900-40s) would be more prone to dementia because of those flimsy leather headgear they wore (if they wore anything at all), but a couple of factors work in their favor. No. 1, their careers back then usually weren't nearly as long as those of the guys who followed, so the cumulative effect of all those hits to the head wasn't as great. And No. 2, until face masks came along, guys didn't normally use their helmets as battering rams. They kept their heads up to avoid facial injuries and usually used their shoulders and arms to tackle. Look at old game films and you rarely see somebody leading with their helmet.

Most of us on this board played FB in school. I can remember in both grade school and HS (we're talking 1967-71) where we had one-on-one drills where ramming headlong into each other was encouraged and cheered by coaches. Macho head-butting mountain-goat kind of stuff, and often wearing ill-fitting or 12-year-old helmets. (Small Catholic schools recycled equipment for decades, it seemed.) I got knocked out cold once. I kinda shudder when I think about stuff like that. But man, everybody on all levels of play was so ignorant 50 years ago. Today I'd yank my kid off the field if I saw a coach encouraging that kind of stuff.
Sonny9

Post by Sonny9 »

I think it's the multiple blows that does it. I wonder if a good helmet gives the players a false sense of security? More likely to stick their head into the fray, instead of a shoulder.

I had a good helmet with a cage. My buddy wanted to see what the cage was like so we switched helmets. His was cheaper and I noticed the difference after 1 tackle. I switched back right away.
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Post by Ken Crippen »

rhickok1109 wrote:

I started seeing it with players from the 1940s on, at least having family members talk about it with me. One example was when I was working on interviewing Ed Sprinkle. He had good days and bad days. His daughter called me and said, "He is good now. Let's do the interview now!!" Chuck Howley and Mick Tingelhoff also stuck in my mind, but they were much later.
Football Learning Academy: https://www.football-learning-academy.com
An online school teaching football history.

FLA Podcast: https://www.football-learning-academy.com/pages/podcast
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Then too, life expectancy across the board has gone up quite a lot in the last 50-70 years, so players are living long enough to actually start exhibiting the effects of brain trauma. I'm sure many of the players from the early years died with CTE in their brains, it's just that they died younger from other causes and nobody knew of CTE anyway.

One player I'm thinking of is Bob Hoernschemeyer, who was one of the few backs who actually was known for leading with his head. His head's down style was part of what made his reputation as the "best third-down back in the league" in the early '50s. Anyway, more than once Hunchy spent 2-3 days in a Detroit hospital as a result of a concussion. In fact, those concussions are what caused the Lions to force him into retirement after the 1955 season even though Hunchy, only 31, still wanted to play. At the time he admitted to 8 concussions, but he undoubtedly had others that were undiagnosed. He was plagued by headaches.

Hunchy died at age 54 after losing a 2-year battle to cancer, undoubtedly sparing him and his family many years of dealing with worsening dementia.