If you could enshrine one player into the Hall of Fame...

Oszuscik

If you could enshrine one player into the Hall of Fame...

Post by Oszuscik »

If you could pick one player who you think has been overlooked, someone who you feel will probably never be enshrined but deserves to be, who would be your personal choice to go into the Hall of Fame?

Being the unapologetic homer that I am, I'd give a bust to Sterling Sharpe. In the time he had in the league he dominated, and in my opinion he played long enough where his career-ending injury shouldn't be held against him.
JeffreyMiller

Re: If you could enshrine one player into the Hall of Fame..

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Tom Sestak
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Grzegorz Brzęczyszczykiewicz, who played tackle for the Szymankowszczyzna Killer Kielbasas in the 1920s. Most def.
lastcat3

Post by lastcat3 »

RichardBak wrote:Grzegorz Brzęczyszczykiewicz, who played tackle for the Szymankowszczyzna Killer Kielbasas in the 1920s. Most def.
If anything deserves a youtube response that name does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfKZclMWS1U
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

So many. But here are a few that would be top priority for me.

Lionel Taylor -- We all know that he was first to 100 catches in a season but not so many know he had a big impact on the careers of two HOF receivers (Swann and Stallworth), was a key part of that 70s Steelers coaching staff AND was offensive coordinator for the SB Rams in 79.

Al Wistert -- who is rightfully beloved by the group.

John Wooten -- had a tremendous career on the field blocking for Jim Brown and as one of Paul Brown's messenger guards. His off-the-field work is substantial with the Fritz Pollard Alliance and as a Cowboys and Ravens scout.

And I think we'd all be happy to see Otis Taylor get in.

I guess if I had to pick one single of those four, it's really tough....Wooten might be the most deserving of the four based on his off-field career....

Agree that Sestack was HOF level. Sterling -- I'm a Packers homer as well and I'm still crazy enough to think he'll get in at some point.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
RyanChristiansen

Post by RyanChristiansen »

John Brodie. I'm not quite sure what the arguments are against putting him in the PFHOF.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

RyanChristiansen wrote:John Brodie. I'm not quite sure what the arguments are against putting him in the PFHOF.
The argument against Brodie must be that he really only had outstanding statistical seasons in 1965, 68, 70 and maybe 61. He was also only a winner in two seasons, with Steve Spurrier doing the heavy lifting in 1972. He won the MVP award in his one all-pro season and only made two Pro Bowl teams. I liked Brodie but I don’t view him as HOF worthy.
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

Not a player but a coach; Marty Schottenheimer. A great coach and better man. R.I.P.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

RyanChristiansen wrote:John Brodie. I'm not quite sure what the arguments are against putting him in the PFHOF.
He's one level below, I think. About the same as Roman Gabriel, Boomer Esiason, Joe Theismann. Brodie had some spectacular passing stats, but he wasn't consistent, threw too many picks, and didn't win a championship.

My mission is to keep Steve Tasker out of the HOF more than to get anyone in. Therefore, I would be happy with either Lemar Parrish or Albert Lewis, since they were top defensive backs that also made special teams contributions that are at least the equal of Tasker.
Eagles One

Post by Eagles One »

Pete Retzlaff, three Pro-Bowls at three different positions (flanker, left end and tight end). One of the most productive of his era.

Joe Klecko, Pro-Bowl at three different positions.