vikingsfan1963

I didn't know he played for them.....

Post by vikingsfan1963 »

This past week or so I made this discovery about three players:
John Brockington with the Chiefs
Marty Domres with the Jets
Ahmad Rashad with the Bills
JuggernautJ

Re: I didn't know he played for them.....

Post by JuggernautJ »

One of my favorite "acid tests" when meeting someone who says they know football history (not that I know that much) is to ask them where famous players last played.
I figure if someone doesn't know Unitas finished with the Chargers or Namath with the Rams they probably are just beginners...
(Even I know that...)

Also, Eller with the Seahawks and Page with the Bears are two interesting ones.
Franco with the Seahawks is just sad...
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Oh man, Johnny U spending his final year with San Diego brought back some painful memories. My buddy, a fellow Detroiter, and I were stationed at Camp Pendleton in August '73 when Unitas was slated to start one of the preseason games. It may have been his first scheduled start, and I can't remember who the opponent was. We were flat broke but somehow made our way down to San Diego that night to watch our hero for the first time. Never mind the cultural shock of seeing a football crowd in shorts, tank tops, and flip-flops, or that the entire stadium smelled like weed. We were pumped to see The Man himself. But it wasn't to be. Unitas was scratched (bad knee, I think) and so we sat there watching some rookie named Dan Fouts instead.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

Harold Carmichael with the Cowboys (1984)
Jim Mandich with the Steelers (1978)
Robert Brooks with the Broncos (2000. They also had Andre Reed in the preseason around that time).
Jamie Johnson

Post by Jamie Johnson »

Jack Kemp-Pittsburgh
Len Dawson-Pittsburgh & Cleveland
Dave Casper & Archie Manning- Minnesota
James Lofton & Richard Dent-Philadelphia
Tommy McDonald- LA Rams, Atlanta & Cleveland
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Lamar Parrish ... Bills
Thurman Thomas ... Dolphins
Babe Parilli ... Jets
John Mackey ... Chargers
Deacon Jones ... Redskins
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I was disappointed Randall Cunningham didnt help out the Cowboys ... Scott Case from Atlanta had a great SB for Dallas against Pitts in 1996.

Jimmy Johnson made a mistake letting go of Fryar, who played well with Philly ... Bavaro played well there as well.
Belichick in Cleveland knew his knee couldnt hold up.

Looking back, its sad that Abner Haynes couldnt help the Jets more but Weeb Ewbank believed in a back being able to block and Haynes wasnt good enough.

I remember Wes Chandler going to SF and thought he would play but Walsh kept Mike Wilson instead. Its time for Chandler to make the HOVG ...

Hard to believe KC let go of Haynes and Garrett. When Garrett went to SD, his game against the Chiefs, kept KC from winning the division in 1970.

Abe Woodson was a great corner with SF but wasnt nearly good with the St Louis Cardinals.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

JuggernautJ wrote:Also, Eller with the Seahawks and Page with the Bears are two interesting ones.
Franco with the Seahawks is just sad...
Franco was the first 'Seahawk' to be inducted into the PFHOF.

Other than Largent, who was next, the list of Seahawks in the HOF until 'Tez was what was sad.

Franco Harris
Steve Largent
Carl Eller
Warren Moon (didn't end career with Seattle, but only 2 seasons, then maybe people forget about the 2 as backup in KC?)
Jerry Rice (not counting the Broncos 'stint', of course)
John Randle

5 of the 6 HOF's listed for the Seahawks just ended (or close enough in Moon's case) their career in Seattle. Though, Randle still had a little left, and Moon wasn't terrible, and Rice had a nice one-handed TD reception. Still, that's what we had here. Even non-HOF but known players like Mike Curtis with his season with the Seahawks (before finishing in WAS.)

When Edgerrin James (also finished with SEA) got elected, it reminded me back to those days when the one Seattle HOF'er was Largent, but could also list the handful that finished their career with Seattle.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

I remember Wes Chandler going to SF and thought he would play but Walsh kept Mike Wilson instead. Its time for Chandler to make the HOVG ...
What you said about Chandler reminds me of John Jefferson. He was with Cleveland in 1985.

Also, I don't remember Lofton being with the Eagles. I remember Art Monk being with them, though (in 1995). Also, the year before, they had Jimmy Smith in training camp. Allegedly, he was building a rapport with Randall Cunningham. However, Kotite kept Jeff Sydner instead.

The next year, the Eagles almost got Brunell, but they couldn't agree on a contract, and the Jags got him instead. Brunell and Smith should have been Eagles.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

Hugh McElhenny ended his career in 1964 on the Detroit Lions.