"WHO AM I?" trivia.

Todd Pence

"WHO AM I?" trivia.

Post by Todd Pence »

I am a wide receiver who played ten years in the NFL for three different teams.

I was just the third ever player to come to the NFL from my college. The second had been my teammate and fellow pass-catcher in college and was in the NFL as well. The fourth player to ever come from my college was a scab who played for my team while I was on strike during the 1987 season.

I had at least twenty receptions in all of my seasons save one, the year I was first traded. However, I led my team in receiving yards only one year.

I appeared in just one postseason game in my career.

I scored three of my career touchdowns on Thanksgiving Day in three different games.

With my second team, I scored the first of my team's two touchdowns in one memorable game. My team's second touchdown came on the game's final play and is considered one of the most miraculous last-play wins in NFL history.

In my last season I played for my last team. My head coach there was the same one I had had the previous season with my previous team.

My second to last career TD was part of an upset win over that year's Super Bowl champs (my team had a losing record that year).

My last career touchdown was part of a 28-0 run that led my team back from a 20+ point deficit to win.

Who am I?
Bryan

Re: "WHO AM I?" trivia.

Post by Bryan »

Jeff Chadwick of Grand Valley State(?)
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

You are correct sir.

Chadwick spent his career with the Lions, Seahawks and Rams. He was the third ever player to come from Grand Valley State, a year behind his Lion teammate Rob Rubick. The fourth was Rick Johnson, who was a replacement player for the 1987 Lions. (The first GVS alum in the NFL, incidentally, was former Seahawk lineman Ron Essink.)

Chadwick led the Lions in receiving yards in 1984 with 953. He scored TDs in the Lions' Turkey Day games of 1983, 1984 and 1986.

With the Seahawks in 1990 he scored their first touchdown in the game where David Krieg hit Paul Skansi for the game winner after evading Derrick Thomas' attempt to get his eighth sack of the game. He later followed coach Chuck Knox to the Rams for his final career year. That season he scored his second-to-last career TD in the Rams' upset of the Title-bound Dallas Cowboys. His last career touchdown was in the Rams' comeback from a 24-point deficit to beat Tampa.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Todd Pence wrote:You are correct sir.

Chadwick spent his career with the Lions, Seahawks and Rams. He was the third ever player to come from Grand Valley State, a year behind his Lion teammate Rob Rubick. The fourth was Rick Johnson, who was a replacement player for the 1987 Lions. (The first GVS alum in the NFL, incidentally, was former Seahawk lineman Ron Essink.)

Chadwick led the Lions in receiving yards in 1984 with 953. He scored TDs in the Lions' Turkey Day games of 1983, 1984 and 1986.

With the Seahawks in 1990 he scored their first touchdown in the game where David Krieg hit Paul Skansi for the game winner after evading Derrick Thomas' attempt to get his eighth sack of the game. He later followed coach Chuck Knox to the Rams for his final career year. That season he scored his second-to-last career TD in the Rams' upset of the Title-bound Dallas Cowboys. His last career touchdown was in the Rams' comeback from a 24-point deficit to beat Tampa.
The most helpful clue was the reference to 1987, because it gave me a timeframe for when the guy played. The combination of Thanksgiving games and "just one postseason" game meant he had to have been with the Lions (and not the Cowboys). I looked for Lion WRs who went to obscure colleges...thought it might be Freddie Scott, was nearly convinced that Aubrey Matthews was the answer, then found Chadwick. I remembered Chadwick playing for the Lions, but I did not recall him going to the Rams (or Chuck Knox going to the Rams for a second term). Interesting question.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

I am a running back who played 6 years in the NFL for 2 teams.

I am the first player from my school to be drafted.

I had 3 seasons with 30+ receptions, and 3 seasons with less than 15 receptions.

I appeared in 3 postseason games. The highlight of my career was scoring 3 TDs in one postseason game (all from 1 yard out), although we lost that game.

I scored only 14 other TDs in my career.

I never ran for 1000 yards in a season, never made pro bowl or all pro honors...but I did kick an extra point!

WHO AM I?
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

This perfectly matches Larry Schreiber, except that his Tennessee Tech teammate John Tanner was the first player drafted by that school. Exactly one round before Schreiber.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I was a running back who played for three different teams. I had exactly the same amount of career rushing attempts for each of these teams. For two if these three teams, I was the first ever player to wear my jersey number for that particular team.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Todd Pence wrote:This perfectly matches Larry Schreiber, except that his Tennessee Tech teammate John Tanner was the first player drafted by that school. Exactly one round before Schreiber.
Oye, but while Schrieber's rookie year was 1971, he was actually selected in the 1970 draft...the year prior to Tanner getting drafted.

"You know on that 39 you did a poor job...Dang God you can't do that...hell, you're in your home state!"
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

Bryan wrote:
Todd Pence wrote:This perfectly matches Larry Schreiber, except that his Tennessee Tech teammate John Tanner was the first player drafted by that school. Exactly one round before Schreiber.
Oye, but while Schrieber's rookie year was 1971, he was actually selected in the 1970 draft...the year prior to Tanner getting drafted.

"You know on that 39 you did a poor job...Dang God you can't do that...hell, you're in your home state!"
My mistake.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

I am a quarterback who played five years with three different teams.

In only one of the seasons I played was I my team's principal starter. In all my other seasons I never attempted as many as 25 passes.

Of my eight career touchdown passes, six went to two players, who caught three of them apiece.

In my last career start I was benched, and my backup threw the winning TD. However, I was credited with the victory. That backup QB later became a head coach of some repute.

My last career TD pass went to a former teammate on my first team and was one of the two players referenced above.

I once was enrolled in a college class with the author of this post. However, I was a no-show and was eventually dropped from the roll. :D