Injuries that changed the course of a franchise

GameBeforeTheMoney

Re: Injuries that changed the course of a franchise

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

Simply speaking in terms of if Staubach didn't have the concussion issues -- and I'm also a huge fan of Roger -- I'm not so sure they would have beaten Philadelphia in 1980. I do think had a great chance to defeat San Francisco with Roger...same with Washington in the strike year but eventually his age would have had to start showing....
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
racepug

Post by racepug »

Jamie Johnson wrote:Another thing to remember was that the Redskins always seemed to have Randall’s number.
If you look back at the '80s Los Gigantes generally got the better of the 'skins, the 'skins generally got the better of the "Iggles," and the "Iggles" generally got the better of Los Gigantes, at least in terms of head-to-head competition. The Cardinals were rarely a factor (at least as far as I remember) and the N.F.C. entry based in Texas - even though it was clearly in decline during that decade - still, somehow, managed to spring a few upset victories over its division rivals (for instance, that team's only win in 1989 came against. . .Washington, which was smack-dab in-between its last two S.B. championships).
Hail Casares

Post by Hail Casares »

Dirk wrote:A healthy Jim McMahon in 1986 through 1988 maybe gets the Bears another SuperBowl victory.
Always hate this narrative as a Bears fan. McMahon was terrible in 1986 and even when he came back in subsequent seasons he was terrible in the playoffs.
racepug

Post by racepug »

Hail Casares wrote:
Dirk wrote:A healthy Jim McMahon in 1986 through 1988 maybe gets the Bears another SuperBowl victory.
Always hate this narrative as a Bears fan. McMahon was terrible in 1986 and even when he came back in subsequent seasons he was terrible in the playoffs.
My guess is that Buddy Ryan's departure had more to do with the Bears not being able to win any more S.B.s during that time. What do Bears fans think?
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Getting thrown on his shoulder by Charles Martin didnt exactly help MadMac in 1986 and having a 14-0 lead disappear against the Redskins in the 1987/88 playoffs might have been his last chance at a championship.
Even a good game by McMahon wouldnt have beaten a red hot combo of Montana-to-Rice in the 1988/89 NFC Championship game.
IrishJimmy

Post by IrishJimmy »

Agree on Jones. The Colts drafts got worse after Thomas was fired as GM.