John Stallorth/Lynn Swann VS Jerry Rice/John Taylor

Re: John Stallorth/Lynn Swann VS Jerry Rice/John Taylor

Postby IrishJimmy » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:26 pm

A tough call but, there have been some who suggested due to stats Swann shouldn't be in. I say nonsense it was
A different time. Swann and Stallworth were big game receivers that came up big in those games. I like all 4 but I have to pick - I'm going Stallworth and Swann. One difference for me was the opponents. Those Cowboy teams the Steelers beat were loaded with Hall of Famers.
IrishJimmy
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:50 pm

Re: John Stallorth/Lynn Swann VS Jerry Rice/John Taylor

Postby Bryan » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:54 am

I think everyone is missing the main takeaway from this thread, which is: whatever happened to Jeremy Crowhurst? Does he still post here?
User avatar
Bryan
 
Posts: 1713
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:37 am

Re: John Stallorth/Lynn Swann VS Jerry Rice/John Taylor

Postby Brian wolf » Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:56 am

Where is bachslunch and rasputin ?
Brian wolf
 
Posts: 710
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:43 am

Re: John Stallorth/Lynn Swann VS Jerry Rice/John Taylor

Postby JKelly » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:23 am

IrishJimmy wrote:A tough call but, there have been some who suggested due to stats Swann shouldn't be in. I say nonsense it was
A different time. Swann and Stallworth were big game receivers that came up big in those games. I like all 4 but I have to pick - I'm going Stallworth and Swann. One difference for me was the opponents. Those Cowboy teams the Steelers beat were loaded with Hall of Famers.



Comparing Swann to his peers his career regular season stats are the same as Bob Chandler. His post season stats are good, hard to compare him with others because the Steelers played in a great deal of post season games. It's not fair to compare his postseason stats to Pearson and Branch their numbers are better because they played longer. He wasn't as durable as other players. I think he lead the league as a punt returner as a rookie so there is that.

Most HOF players with less than stellar stats for the time they played were game changers or had a major influence on the games as a whole like Sayer, Namath etc.. Swann didn't do that. So the only clear cut factor that put him in the HOF was a couple of acrobatic catches. Which leads me to this question if Mark Washington broke up that pass and it fell incomplete would Swann be in the HOF?...........I doubt it.


All that being said Rice and Taylor a better option. As you can tell I think Swann is wildly overrated however, I think Stallworth is the exact opposite.
User avatar
JKelly
 
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Reading Pa

Re: John Stallorth/Lynn Swann VS Jerry Rice/John Taylor

Postby Bryan » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:36 am

JKelly wrote:Comparing Swann to his peers his career regular season stats are the same as Bob Chandler. His post season stats are good, hard to compare him with others because the Steelers played in a great deal of post season games. It's not fair to compare his postseason stats to Pearson and Branch their numbers are better because they played longer. He wasn't as durable as other players. I think he lead the league as a punt returner as a rookie so there is that.

Most HOF players with less than stellar stats for the time they played were game changers or had a major influence on the games as a whole like Sayer, Namath etc.. Swann didn't do that. So the only clear cut factor that put him in the HOF was a couple of acrobatic catches. Which leads me to this question if Mark Washington broke up that pass and it fell incomplete would Swann be in the HOF?...........I doubt it.


From a previous thread (ripped from the PFRA headlines!):

Drew Pearson - good WR spends entire career with great team, is on TV a lot, scores a few TDs in the playoffs...Hall of Fame. Perhaps no other Hall of Fame player owes more of his enshrinement to circumstance. Pearson started 22 postseason games and scored in 6 of them, and the Cowboys were 4-2 in those games. Lynn Swann started 13 postseason games and scored in 8 of them, and the Steelers were 8-0 in those games (with 3 SB wins). We recently had a thread about Nat Moore, and its amazing how much more productive Moore was than Pearson, especially when it came to scoring TDs. Drew Pearson had two all-pro seasons (1974 & 1977) where he had 2 receiving TDs! At least guys like Isaac Curtis and John Jefferson were 'threats'. I'd take either of those guys over Pearson, along with several other WRs.
User avatar
Bryan
 
Posts: 1713
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:37 am

Re: John Stallorth/Lynn Swann VS Jerry Rice/John Taylor

Postby IrishJimmy » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:55 pm

I think Swann was a Super Bowl MVP to me he was a game changer particularly in big games. Is he better than Rice...no. Should he be in Hall of Fame. Yes.
IrishJimmy
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:50 pm

Re: John Stallorth/Lynn Swann VS Jerry Rice/John Taylor

Postby 74_75_78_79_ » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:15 pm

IrishJimmy wrote:I think Swann was a Super Bowl MVP to me he was a game changer particularly in big games. Is he better than Rice...no. Should he be in Hall of Fame. Yes.


Stallworth, IMO, should’ve been MVP for SBXIV vs Rams.
User avatar
74_75_78_79_
 
Posts: 1865
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:25 pm

Re: John Stallorth/Lynn Swann VS Jerry Rice/John Taylor

Postby Brian wolf » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:30 pm

Swann should have been MVP in both SB games against Dallas. Bradshaw broke both games open but had three turnovers in the 78/79 game and against the Rams the next year ...
Brian wolf
 
Posts: 710
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:43 am

Re: John Stallorth/Lynn Swann VS Jerry Rice/John Taylor

Postby Brian wolf » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:32 pm

People deride Swann for being in the HOF but he was like Paul Warfield, his ability and attention drawn from defenses transcend his numbers. Like Chuck Noll basically said, John Rowser was the first defender to realize that hitting him in the head and neck was the only way to stop him and Swann became fair game for headhunters, which stopped his career. If only Cliff Harris and Charlie Waters could have found a way to hit him in the two SB losses. Those defeats anger me to this day ...
Brian wolf
 
Posts: 710
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:43 am

Re: John Stallorth/Lynn Swann VS Jerry Rice/John Taylor

Postby GameBeforeTheMoney » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:24 am

Bryan wrote:
JKelly wrote:Comparing Swann to his peers his career regular season stats are the same as Bob Chandler. His post season stats are good, hard to compare him with others because the Steelers played in a great deal of post season games. It's not fair to compare his postseason stats to Pearson and Branch their numbers are better because they played longer. He wasn't as durable as other players. I think he lead the league as a punt returner as a rookie so there is that.

Most HOF players with less than stellar stats for the time they played were game changers or had a major influence on the games as a whole like Sayer, Namath etc.. Swann didn't do that. So the only clear cut factor that put him in the HOF was a couple of acrobatic catches. Which leads me to this question if Mark Washington broke up that pass and it fell incomplete would Swann be in the HOF?...........I doubt it.


From a previous thread (ripped from the PFRA headlines!):

Drew Pearson - good WR spends entire career with great team, is on TV a lot, scores a few TDs in the playoffs...Hall of Fame. Perhaps no other Hall of Fame player owes more of his enshrinement to circumstance. Pearson started 22 postseason games and scored in 6 of them, and the Cowboys were 4-2 in those games. Lynn Swann started 13 postseason games and scored in 8 of them, and the Steelers were 8-0 in those games (with 3 SB wins). We recently had a thread about Nat Moore, and its amazing how much more productive Moore was than Pearson, especially when it came to scoring TDs. Drew Pearson had two all-pro seasons (1974 & 1977) where he had 2 receiving TDs! At least guys like Isaac Curtis and John Jefferson were 'threats'. I'd take either of those guys over Pearson, along with several other WRs.


Respectfully, I totally disagree. Pearson's first playoff game -- 2 touchdowns, one sealed the game, and he was an undrafted rookie playing in maybe his fifth or sixth game. Scored the first TD in SB 10. Hail Mary. Two TDs to beat Atlanta in the final 3 minutes in the 1980 playoffs. Had a consecutive playoff game catch streak that didn't get broken until Jerry Rice played in his 23rd postseason game. He just about nullified 'the Catch" but someone else fumbled away the chance for a game-winning field goal. When it was crunch time, Pearson was always the one Dallas turned to in the clutch, no matter who was playing quarterback (anyone remember Clint Longely?).

Pearson and Swann were both clutch players. Maybe they didn't catch a lot of passes or rack up a bunch of yardage in games that didn't matter or games that ended 27-7 or whatever. When the game was on the line, they wanted the ball and they often got it. Swann also scored that huge TD in SB 13. Swann's best play in SB10 wasn't a diving catch at all -- it was the TD that put the Steelers ahead by 11 in the fourth quarter. He showed up big time in big-time games. There is quite a huge difference between the impact Pearson and Swann had on games and the other receivers mentioned. And I love Nat Moore. But if it's third and 6 (or 4th and 17 in Pearson's case) and the game's on the line, pro quarterbacks are going to throw to guys who have proven themselves in clutch situations, no matter what their stats might be -- there's a difference between being a threat in the first quarter and a threat when the game is on the line. IMO, those are the players I prefer in the HOF.
GameBeforeTheMoney
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:21 pm
Location: Texas

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 32 guests