"Name the Game" trivia

Todd Pence

Re: "Name the Game" trivia

Post by Todd Pence »

In this game, an eventual division winner would rout an eventual last place divisional fnisher from an opposing conference.

The winning team had three different players score touchdowns with the same first name.

The first of these three players was a former Heisman winner. He actually scored twice in this game, both on 1-yard runs.

The second of these three players would be the last of only two touchdowns he would score in his career.

The third of these three players would be considered one of the team's star players, but would be traded to another team in the middle of the following season.

The winning team also had a Hall of Fame player score a TD (who did not share a first name with the other three).

The only touchdown scored by the losing team was by a player who would also be traded to another team the following year, but the official NFL name of his franchise would have the same geographical designation.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Todd Pence wrote:In this game, an eventual division winner would rout an eventual last place divisional fnisher from an opposing conference.

The winning team had three different players score touchdowns with the same first name.

The first of these three players was a former Heisman winner. He actually scored twice in this game, both on 1-yard runs.

The second of these three players would be the last of only two touchdowns he would score in his career.

The third of these three players would be considered one of the team's star players, but would be traded to another team in the middle of the following season.

The winning team also had a Hall of Fame player score a TD (who did not share a first name with the other three).

The only touchdown scored by the losing team was by a player who would also be traded to another team the following year, but the official NFL name of his franchise would have the same geographical designation.
Chargers 44, Giants 7 - 1980
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:
Correct!
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Todd Pence wrote:
74_75_78_79_ wrote:
Correct!
Yeah, perhaps it was my eternal love for the 1980 season (my first ever season following) that may have unintentionally given things away! When you said, "best player of that team", for some reason, John Jefferson came to mind! Then I immediately knew he was traded, then I thought, who was the last-place team from the other conference that SD played that year...then it came pretty quick from there! The only significant thing I remember from that G-men squad that year (the year before LT) was they beating Dallas and it being made a big deal of. My parents were throwing out today's Monday newspaper and I remember it being seen on the page. Despite Perkins being HC, that was indeed a pretty terrible team (but then came '81 and not so bad all of a sudden)!

Okay, I guess I should offer up a game while I'm here...(not a real tough one; shouldn't be, at least)...

This was a game won by next year's champ vs a team that would be runner-up yet again by season's end (but they did win-it-all three years prior; and by a lopsided score)! The first three TDs would be scored by the same player - the first two from his primary position, the third by punt return (his team up 21-0)! He would also score the very last TD of the game as well (4 TDs total); and from his...primary position! Known as the "life of the party" out at bars with his teammates yet he never drank! He's a HOFer and another, also, HOFer from the other team who's quite well-known for numerous reasons scored a TD himself this game! In fact, it was after this other HOFer scored those first three TDs, making the score then 21-7!
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

This game featured a kicker who made three consecutive field goals in this game uninterrupted by any other scoring. This kicker had a Super Ring from a previous team and would later earn another Super Bowl ring with a third team.

The winning QB would later earn a Super Bowl ring with another team. As would a running back for the winning team who scored a touchdown for the winning team.

The winning teams' other touchdown would be that player's career first.

A Hall of Fame quarterback started for the losing team.

A player for the losing team scored his final career touchdown.

The losing team's other touchdown was scored by a Hall of Fame offensive lineman.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Todd Pence wrote:This game featured a kicker who made three consecutive field goals in this game uninterrupted by any other scoring. This kicker had a Super Ring from a previous team and would later earn another Super Bowl ring with a third team.

The winning QB would later earn a Super Bowl ring with another team. As would a running back for the winning team who scored a touchdown for the winning team.

The winning teams' other touchdown would be that player's career first.

A Hall of Fame quarterback started for the losing team.

A player for the losing team scored his final career touchdown.

The losing team's other touchdown was scored by a Hall of Fame offensive lineman.
Houston at Cleveland, week 2, 1986

Kicker: Matt Bahr
Winning QB: Bernie Kosar
First TD: Reggie Langhorne
Losing QB: Warren Moon
Last TD: Butch Woolfolk
Losing OL. Mike Munchak
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

*The winning team would finish last in its division

*The losing team would go on to win the Super Bowl

*This was the first win of the season for the winning team

*This was the first loss of the season for the losing team

*The winning team completed 2 passes for the game

*The two QBs in this game combined for 16,000+ career passing yards
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Bryan wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:29 pm *The winning team would finish last in its division

I think I've got it...
Vikings vs. Packers, 10/15/67

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 3447383188
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

ChrisBabcock wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:39 pm
Bryan wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:29 pm *The winning team would finish last in its division

I think I've got it...
Vikings vs. Packers, 10/15/67

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 3447383188
Correct! I thought it was interesting that the Vikings completed only 2 passes (and 2 more to the Packers) and still were able to win.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

- This was the first regular season meeting between these teams.
- Both starting QBs are in the hall of Fame.
- A rookie WR on the losing team caught over 10 passes for over 150 yards.