"Name the Game" trivia

ChrisBabcock

Re: "Name the Game" trivia

Post by ChrisBabcock »

The defending league champion was the winner of this game.
Both teams combined for 7 victories this season.
A Hall of Fame player caught a TD pass for the winning team.
A Hall of Fame QB attempted one pass (incomplete) for the losing team.
Both teams featured GREEN predominantly in their uniforms. :D
JWL

Post by JWL »

Eagles vs the Colts in 1950. Pete Pihos had a touchdown for the Eagles and Y.A. Tittle threw a pass for the Colts.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

JWL wrote:Eagles vs the Colts in 1950. Pete Pihos had a touchdown for the Eagles and Y.A. Tittle threw a pass for the Colts.
Correct! I thought that one would be tricky and take a little longer. Good job!
JWL

Post by JWL »

ChrisBabcock wrote:
JWL wrote:Eagles vs the Colts in 1950. Pete Pihos had a touchdown for the Eagles and Y.A. Tittle threw a pass for the Colts.
Correct! I thought that one would be tricky and take a little longer. Good job!
It was easy to pinpoint the year since the Jets, Eagles, and Packers all had decent enough seasons after championships since the Eagles won in 1960. I figured it was an excellent shot that it was a game in 1950. I then remembered the Colts wore green uniforms in 1950.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:
Wendell02 wrote:
74_75_78_79_ wrote:This game was between two teams that would end up making the playoffs. Both HC’s are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Two different players in this game scored back-to-back TDs, and each one is also in the PFHOF. The 3rd quarter was scoreless but every other quarter (1st, 2nd, and 4th) each had the same total amount of points scored between both teams. The home team wore their white jerseys.
Bumping this up and throwing in the towel. I assumed this was a regular season tie game or overtime game between playoff-bound teams. I found 9 such games (including 2 in the AAFC), however none appear to match the quarterly scoring criteria. Was this an incorrect assumption on my part?
I didn’t word it good enough. Meant to say that the total points scored in the 1st Q were also the same amount of total points scored in the 2nd, and also in the 4th. Not necessarily both teams in either, or all, cases/quarters scoring the same amount as the other. One team could have outscored the other in one, two, or all three of the quarters. Also, maybe in one, two, or three of the cases/quarters, one of the two teams did all of the scoring. But, again, in each quarter besides the scoreless 3rd, the same amount of total points were scored.

I thought I offer up more hints...

As I already stated, both head coaches in this game are in Canton but I’ll add that one of them got inducted three calendar-years after this very contest.

Also, as for the home team wearing their white jerseys and the road team wearing their dark - according to an online source I came across - this was because the league asked them to. Let’s just say that with this game being nationally televised, this was to make the game easier to watch for the plenty-enough viewers out there who still may have had black-and-white TVs.

May you all in this forum and your families have a Happy Thanksgiving Day in this quite surreal year.

EDIT -

Okay, here it is...

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 260det.htm

Thought I offer those final hints at no better time - on the eve of the exact 50th anniversary of the event! Personally, a game I wouldn't mind watching. Madden, Schmidt...from what little highlights I saw, it seemed like a hard-hitting one.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

An easy one:

- In this game a runningback of each team scored at least three touchdowns each.
- Both teams had a player with the exact name and surname who caught three passes each.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Teo wrote:An easy one:

- In this game a runningback of each team scored at least three touchdowns each.
- Both teams had a player with the exact name and surname who caught three passes each.
Hmmmm. Well it doesn't look like this game involves a pair of Gene Washingtons.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

ChrisBabcock wrote:

Hmmmm. Well it doesn't look like this game involves a pair of Gene Washingtons.
Ken Burroughs/Ken Burrows?
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 210nyg.htm

DeAngelo Williams, Brandon Jacobs, Steve Smith (good), Steve Smith (average)
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Bryan wrote:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 210nyg.htm

DeAngelo Williams, Brandon Jacobs, Steve Smith (good), Steve Smith (average)
Correct!