Easton Trojans
Started by Moran, Aug 07 2014 12:04 PM

6 replies to this topic

#1 Moran
Starter
PFRA Member
338 posts
Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:04 PM
Could anyone shed light on this team? I thought the Sunday afternoon game time would mean it was not a high school or church league - maybe semi-pro? I could not turn up any information in a web search. I did find a reference to the coach of the team Wes Pulli - he was the father of National League baseball umpire, Frank Pulli (the first MLB umpire to use instant replay)

#2 oldecapecod 11
Veteran
PFRA Member
552 posts
Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:57 PM
Not your people, Mike, but very likely, relatives.
It's a door and a potential start.

A BROTHER ???

Robert L. Lippincott
Born: Jun 6, 1932
Deceased: Sep 2, 2002
Robert was born June 6th, 1932. September 2nd, 2002 Robert Lippincott passed away in Easton, Pennsylvania at the age of 70in Easton, Pennsylvania.

A BROTHER ???

CLAYTON HENRY TRAVIS
BANGOR and SCARBOROUGH Clayton Henry Travis, 67, died Feb. 1, 2006, at a Brewer healthcare center. He was born Nov. 10, 1938, in Easton, Pa., the son of Clayton W. and Dorothy I. (Miller) Travis. Clayton was a graduate of Easton High School, Easton, Pa., served in the U.S. Marines 1956-1962. He had been employed as a bus driver for more than 40 years and retired from the Maine Turnpike Authority. He was a member of the Highland Park Lodge No. 240 AF&AM of Trenton, N.J., Scottish Rite Bodies Valley of Bangor and Anah Shriners. Clayton was very much a sports enthusiast, enjoying both summer and winter sports. Surviving are his wife, Kay Ann (Sweger) Travis of Scarborough; three children, Coni E. Travis of Nazareth, Pa., Alice M. Bisher of Allentown, Pa., Dorothy I. Travis of Dedham; four grandsons, Bruce Reaser, Brian Reaser, Michael Bisher, Andrew Bisher; and one great-grandson, Jordan Reaser; four stepchildren, Glenn, Kimberly, Karen and Brenda; one brother, William Travis of Pennsylvania; nieces and one nephew. A memorial service will be held 10 a.m. Wednesday, Feb. 8, at Brookings-Smith, 133 Center St., Bangor, with the Rev. Robert T. Carlson, Chaplain, Penobscot County Sheriffs Department, officiating. Interment will be held 11 a.m. Friday, Feb. 27, in the Northhampton Memorial Shrine, Palmer Township, Easton, Pa. Those who wish to remember Clayton in a special way may make gifts in his memory to the Shriners Hospital for Children, care of Anah Shrine Center, P.O. Box 735, Bangor, ME 04402-0735.

MAYBE ???

Hays Cemetery
Northampton County, Pennsylvania
704 Packer St
Easton, Pa
610-258-6441
The records below were provided by contributors to Cemetery Records Online.
Susan Jones [rsj534@email.msn.com]
Zimmer, Barry R., b. 1944, d. 1966, son, Vietnam, [SJ]
Zimmer, Coretta C., b. 1918, mother, [SJ]
Zimmer, Raymond S., b. 1917, father, [SJ]

#3 Mark L. Ford
President PFRA
Administrators
1,140 posts
Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:07 PM
I saw that Wesley Pulli (listed as the coach) was better known as a baseball umpire. His son, Frank Pulli, was an umpire in baseball's National League for 18 seasons (1972-1999).

#4 luckyshow
Starter
Forum Visitors
357 posts
Posted 08 August 2014 - 05:48 PM
What's on the other side, if anything?

Was this Pennsylvania or Maryland? I guess Pa., as Easton is in NorthamptonCounty and Zimmer's was on Northampton Street.

#5 Moran
Starter
PFRA Member
338 posts
Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:28 PM
Easton PA - don't your recognize the phone number? 2-0241

Hello, Operator - get me Easton - Easton PA

#6 luckyshow
Starter
Forum Visitors
357 posts
Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:41 PM
I found nothing yet on this team but did find something barely related:

Chester Times, September 13, 1939
A semi-pro night game. Feltonville (no nickname), coached by Jimmy Campbell was to play the next night against the Easton Triangles on the MacMurtrie Field, Sun Oil A.A. Farm, Feltonville. The latter team had scrimmaged with the Pennsylvania Military College earlier in the week.

This Triangles team featured "that Negro tackle, Chester Buchanan", out of Hobart College. Harry Holmes was an end from Lafayette. The QB was a Harry Pellen, out of the Philadelphia Navy Yard, "a triple threat of the first water." Mike Zito, lineman from Easton High, Mike Russo, Princeton Prep grad, runner/ Other starting backs were Bob Moll from Staunton Military Academy, Steve Vincent from Weston High and Weslie Coyle of Phillipsburg Prep. Hal Sutton of Moravian College , tackle; Willard Grube, Easton Prep; Vic Ellenberger, Temple University, linemen; Bill Nicholson from Phillipsburg Prep the center also out of Phillipsburg was Mack Luckenbach, one of the wings

"Easton's well planned aerial attack is mixed with a dependable offense that stamps the team as being one of the standouts in the Lehigh Valley League, a similar organization to Eddie Gottlieb's Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of which Lloyd-Sun is a prominent member. Another factor in their favor as an opening attraction is that they always appear well attired, giving a colorful zip to the game."

Feltonville (the Lloyd-Sun team) was confident with return of Jake Kavalokick (Notre Dame), Johnny Zujas (Temple), Jimmy Donato (Ridley Township HS), back, I will skip naming their other players now....except for a few mentions: Phil Marion, one of the Seven Blocks of Granite out of Fordham, Eddie Gray, Illinois All-American, "All-American sand-lotter," C.D. Donato, colorfully named Dry Vinci from Berwick HS. (Perhaps named in honor of prohibition?)

After two days off they would be back to play the Pottstown Professionals at Lloyd Park, Their first Eastern Pennsylania Conf. game would be next Thursday night.

I was mentioning all of Easton's players to see how they matched up with the Trojan players. None were on that team so it was a different team...

I am guessing, probably correctly, that the mentioned Eddie Gottlieb was the Philadelphia Warriors owner, the Philadelphia SPHAs owner, an early pioneer of professional basketball (the SPHAs were one of the very early pro bball teams such as the Rens, Original Celtics, Globetrotters)

By the way, Feltonville beat the Triangles 26-0.

#7 Moran
Starter
PFRA Member
338 posts
Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:25 PM
Thanks!
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister