Started by luckyshow, Jun 23 2014 11:47 PM
Atlantic Cup American Football

6 replies to this topic

#1 luckyshow
Starter
Forum Visitors
357 posts
Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:47 PM
By the way, I do agree that perhaps there should be a separate section for such topics as non-football, as well as this obscure and obtuse football derivatives....

Such as the Atlantic Cup. Since 2009. Four countries. BENELUX and Ireland. Belgium, Luxembourg and Netherlands, the lowlands. Why Ireland, I have no idea. They have semis, then the Atlantic Cup.
http://www.luckyshow...tlantic Cup.htm

The EFAF site is very good for the coming July Eurobowl (although in German), but for the Atlantic Cup, the text is for 2010 (!) and their most recent news is last year's game. The game is played the last weekend of June. Once it was in July, maybe it's changed this year. The standings show no games played.
http://www.efaf.info...php?Inhalt=home

I find this European "American football" arcane. Or maybe it's the system, the jargon. They show a game which I think is a semi final but they don't state that the winner moved on. The translation is beat poetry.

Any hints as to this game? Thanx.

#2 luckyshow
Starter
Forum Visitors
357 posts
Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:21 AM
A partial answer
http://www.europlaye...spx?NewsId=1028

#3 Mark L. Ford
President PFRA
Administrators
1,143 posts
Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:32 PM
The "GFLI Big 6 League" sounds like it's going to be an annual thing with six teams invited to play against each other. If that's right, I'm going to guess that the format will be two divisions of three clubs each, a German team in each division, and Austria, Holland, Switzerland and Spain each having a representative-- maybe each team will play a home-and-away against the other two in their division, and then the championship would be in week six and would pit the two division winners against each other.

From there, I guess, it could expand to a "Big 8 League" (adding the UK and Italy). It's surprising to me, though, that the other teams are okay with playing under the German name. It would be like the NFL being called the Ohio Football League.

#4 Massimo Foglio
Rookie
PFRA Member
29 posts
Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:02 AM
This is the result of the EFAF-IFAF war.
You should have learn by now that football in Europe is a mater of "war" between old and new organisations. What happens, usually, is that when there's a problem with a team, a league or a federation, instead to work to solve the problem, people prefer to create parallel teams/leagues/federations.

IFAF (the International Federation), redesigned the continental football creating IFAF Europe (And IFAF Africa, IFAF Asia, IFAF Oceania and IFAF Americas). IFAF Europe will replace EFAF as the continental federation, and they created their own European Club Tournament (IFAF CHampions League who will crown its winner next Weekend).
The Big 6 is the former EFL, and will crown its (last) champion in Euro Bowl XXVIII on July 19th.
With EFAF ceasing operations this year, it appears unlikely that the Big 6 will be played again next year. We will know more about this in September/October.

#5 rhickok1109
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member
1,279 posts
Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:44 AM
This is the result of the EFAF-IFAF war.
You should have learn by now that football in Europe is a mater of "war" between old and new organisations. What happens, usually, is that when there's a problem with a team, a league or a federation, instead to work to solve the problem, people prefer to create parallel teams/leagues/federations.

IFAF (the International Federation), redesigned the continental football creating IFAF Europe (And IFAF Africa, IFAF Asia, IFAF Oceania and IFAF Americas). IFAF Europe will replace EFAF as the continental federation, and they created their own European Club Tournament (IFAF CHampions League who will crown its winner next Weekend).
The Big 6 is the former EFL, and will crown its (last) champion in Euro Bowl XXVIII on July 19th.
With EFAF ceasing operations this year, it appears unlikely that the Big 6 will be played again next year. We will know more about this in September/October.

Is the Big 6 similar to rugby union's Six Nations Cup, in that they play a simple round-robin tournament?

#6 Massimo Foglio
Rookie
PFRA Member
29 posts
Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:22 AM
Is the Big 6 similar to rugby union's Six Nations Cup, in that they play a simple round-robin tournament?

No. They split the teams in two groups. Each group play a simple round-robin and the two group winners play the final, called Euro Bowl.

#7 oldecapecod 11
Veteran
PFRA Member
556 posts
Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:51 AM
Massimo's choice of "war" seems altogether fitting.
At one time, did not two of the Houses of Plantagenet have a little tiff called The War of the Roses? I bet they did. And I bet Pennsylvania had baseball teams named the Red Roses and the White Roses.
Hmmm... there's another place to go on the warpath.
I suppose soon randy Robbie's entire body of work will be renamed because his Love was like a red, red rose?
What were those final words in "The Bridge on the River Kwai?"
"Nonsense! Utter nonsense!"
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister