Is everything "carried over"?

luckyshow

Is everything "carried over"?

Post by luckyshow »

How can one tell which are new messages/threads?
cdwillis
Site Moderator

Re: Is everything "carried over"?

Post by cdwillis »

There is a mix of old and new threads. We thank some of the members who have taken the tim to put the old threads up.
Right now the mix is the way we have it. Thanks.
cdwillis
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

This answer only applies to the Threads in "Football Talk."
If you open a Thread and the first word is ARCHIVE and it is both BOLD and UNDERLINED, it is a Thread that was copied and posted here.
None of the text content has been edited. Most of the "trash" such as: Like This, Quote, Multi Quote and other such nonsense has been removed as has some of the needless spacing.
Beyond this, I have no clue but there is an announcement here somewhere concerning those few Threads that were active at the bewitching hour and were copied here in their ongoing mode.
For your further information, since the bored waited until the eleventh hour to notify us of their problem, there was so little time to copy and save data but the focus here was for threads where luckyshow, moran and occ had made posts.
Reasons: L has many important, interesting and usual links to data that impressed many; M has photos of people and objects that are absolute treasures; and occ was simply because if something was interesting then it is probably still interesting.
So, there are 50 Threads identified as ARCHIVE that contain a post by you and a few with Moran posts. There remain about 40 with your posts and maybe the same amount with Mike's posts. There are only about 400 Threads with an occ post and, when that is finally done, we will have captured and saved a good number of data files that otherwise would have been so foolishly thrown away.
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
luckyshow

Post by luckyshow »

May be true, but the operative idea here is one must open a thread. I opened many. It just drove me nuts. But using Windows 95 when absolutely nothing is simple enough anymore for it is making me batty....I can't wait for another computer
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

I asked in the 'welcome' thread about an archive sub-forum, but got no response.

It would seem useful to have an archive section, especially initially as there's 100's of threads from the old forum that will be re-posted here.
Mark L. Ford

Post by Mark L. Ford »

I would like to compare notes with different members about what they saved to their computers. Matt, I'll be happy to send you (or any other PFRA member) a partial list of the threads I had downloaded (basically, the list has what I saved from 2007 through 2009, and I haven't compiled another list yet. At that point, if you see something on there of interest, I can e-mail it to you. In those first years worth of conversations (Nov '07 to Aug '09), there was a lot of good stuff from Bob Carroll.

Right now, we're all walking a fine line on posting the text of some of those old conversations-- oldecapecod has done an excellent job of turning those into text, and he's followed the wise approach of only posting a few of these at a time, so as to not move newer topics get pushed down the page.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Thanks.

What I mean was like when you clicked on "Football Talk" at the old forums, it also had the archives in that section. That's what I was suggesting for here. For me, it doesn't really matter since part of my morning routine is clicking on all the (marked) unread threads, so having them mixed together in one section is fine. I was looking at it from others perspective, who may have slower computers, or not login as frequently, etc ... Having an "Archive" section with all the saved threads from the old forum (to start) would probably be useful.
Mark L. Ford

Post by Mark L. Ford »

The reason that the Forum had seven years worth of archived items was that it had saved everything that was posted after it had gone online in November 2007. It didn't have anything from pre-2007 versions of the forum. Everything on here is going to be dated after October 11, 2014. Several different members worked on saving old conversations, but like everything else, they will be have the date that they were placed over here.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

I get that. I'm saying there could easily be another section on these forums for the posts from the old forums (e.g. "Books", "Obituaries", then add an "Archive/Old Forum") ...

Though I guess could be more trouble than it's worth. Doesn't matter to me, but separating them probably would make things easier for others.
Mark L. Ford

Post by Mark L. Ford »

That's something I would like to see eventually at the M.O. section --- at first, a list of what's been saved. Later, actual downloaded files; or, at least, the texts of the threads, which take up less space, and we just need people to volunteer to do these things in their spare time.