#2 Moran
Starter
PFRA Member 338 posts
Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:06 PM

#3 Moran
Starter
PFRA Member 338 posts
Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:17 PM

The Panthers fielded an integrated team when the NFL did not - from a 1937 Panthers program

#4 Bob Gill
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member 1,200 posts
Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:47 PM
The Paterson Panthers were one of the more interesting and notable minor league teams of the 1930s and '40s. They played from 1934-50, with three years out for World War II (1943-45), and always played at the highest level aside from the major leagues. In 1935 they were almost certainly the best team in the country, outside of the NFL. I've often thought of writing a history of the team for the Coffin Corner, but never quite got around to it.

#5 Moran
Starter
PFRA Member 338 posts
Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:07 PM
Bob, I would be curious if anyone has the ledgers from the team and/or knows how well they payed their players - I've heard they paid comparable salaries to the NFL.

#6 Bob Gill
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member 1,200 posts
Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:58 PM
I've never seen anything like that, but I wonder if some descendant of Charles DePhillips (who was the manager or one of the owners for several years) has those files in an attic somewhere. That's the kind of thing somebody might donate to the Hall of Fame, really. I haven't been to the library there since 1997, and back then they didn't have any financial stuff from Paterson (at least that I could find, and I went over the place pretty thoroughly), but I guess you never what might have turned up since then.

#7 oldecapecod 11
Veteran
PFRA Member 563 posts
Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:04 AM
Wondering? From the article referenced in the link above... "D. Brent Leggs of the National Trust for Historic Preservation says Hinchliffe is baseball's only national historic landmark, a designation even higher than those bestowed on such sporting cathedrals as Fenway Park and Wrigley Field." This might not be true. Rickwood Field in Birmingham, Alabama was long ago listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
It was the home of the Birmingham Barons (Southern Association and Southern League) and the Birmingham Black Barons (Negro Southern League, Negro National League, and Negro American League) and lower level teams for both of these organizations. It is also the oldest surviving ballpark in America (US version.) Now, there is more than one "designation" of "National" historic places and "lists" containing them. We learned this a few years ago when we had heard of two family homes being placed on such lists - one in northern Wisconsin and another in Illinois. They were - but on two different lists and, if I recall, there is a vast difference of importance between the two. Whatever... the raising of $1.2-million should not be a problem. There must be a couple dozen appreciative athletes just screaming for deductions who will gladly drop $100,000.00-or-so into the proverbial bucket.

#8 oldecapecod 11
Veteran
PFRA Member 563 posts
Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:32 AM
PS I took a peek at some Rickwood Field data and am adding the following: Rickwood Field also hosted college football games. From 1912 to 1927 the Alabama Crimson Tide played its Birmingham home dates in Rickwood.

#9 Moran
Starter
PFRA Member 338 posts
Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:08 PM
Bob Gill, on 16 Apr 2014 - 8:58 PM, said:
I've never seen anything like that, but I wonder if some descendant of Charles DePhillips (who was the manager or one of the owners for several years) has those files in an attic somewhere. That's the kind of thing somebody might donate to the Hall of Fame, really. I haven't been to the library there since 1997, and back then they didn't have any financial stuff from Paterson (at least that I could find, and I went over the place pretty thoroughly), but I guess you never what might have turned up since then.

Do we know anything about DePhillips - place of business, date of death, etc? Thanks.

#10 Bob Gill
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member 1,200 posts
Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:02 PM
I don't know anything about DePhillips, aside from his connection with the Panthers.

#11 Moran
Starter
PFRA Member 338 posts
Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:02 PM
I found this on Ancestry.com
Charles DePhillips
Found 10 Records, 5 Photos and 853 Family Trees
Born in Italy on 4 Oct 1898 to Constantine Dephillips and Rosina Cerrato. He passed away on Mar 1982 in Paterson, New Jersey, USA.
Name: Charles Dephillips
SSN: 150-14-6069
Last Residence: 07502 Paterson, Passaic, New Jersey, USA
BORN: 4 Oct 1898
Last Benefit: 07502 Paterson, Passaic, New Jersey, United States of America
Died: Mar 1982
State (Year) SSN issued: New Jersey (Before 1951)
Charles A DePhillips
Birth: 1898
Death: 1982
Burial: Laurel Grove Memorial Park Totowa Passaic County New Jersey, USA
Plot: Chapel section
Find A Grave Memorial# 76983571

In the family trees they show a son Charles who lived from 1924 to 2006 and a daughter Gloria Heller who died in 2003 – no grandchildren shown. I wrote to the owner of the family tree where he shows up and asked if there was other information

Here is his WW I Draft Registration form

Here is a map showing the location of the DePhillips home at 390 Totowa Ave from the draft form and the location of Hinchliffe Stadium - practically in his backyard
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister