'69 Lombardi vs Noll, Shula, Landry

74_75_78_79_

'69 Lombardi vs Noll, Shula, Landry

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Yes, in his final year as a HC (lone season in DC), Vince Lombardi coached against Chuck Noll in a 14-7 road victory, then against Shula the following week in a 17-41 blowout loss at Baltimore and the later on in the season, of course, against Tom Landry twice; losing both games to his Cowboys with both games being the only two times that Landry ever beat Vince head-to-head. Anyways, this begs to question, what other HCs can say that they coached against Noll, Shula, and Landry in the same season?
ChrisBabcock

Re: '69 Lombardi vs Noll, Shula, Landry

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Not cheating by checking on www.pro-football-reference.com...... I'd say its one or more coaches who hung around coaching long enough in the 70s and/or 80s.

Chuck Knox?
Bud Grant?
John Madden?
John Robinson?

If I had to guess ONE I'd go with Knox.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Most likely Knox with the Bills or Seahawks since Noll and Shula were both AFC coaches.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Jerry Williams, anybody? Not only did he coach against that very Holy Trinity of '70s HCs (and also in '69, mind you), but also add (bonus) his Eagles squaring off in that very season against... Lombardi (twice, as the case of course vs Landry)!
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

In 1978 Walt Michaels squared off against Noll, Shula, and Landry and went 2-2. Beating Shula twice but losing to Noll and Landry
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

sheajets wrote:In 1978 Walt Michaels squared off against Noll, Shula, and Landry and went 2-2. Beating Shula twice but losing to Noll and Landry
Nice work! Not sure if this response is better suited for this thread or the 'best chance Jets winning Bowl in '80s' thread but what an irony in that Jets had a 7-0-1 record vs Phins going into '82 season yet got swept themselves 0-3 by them in that '82 campaign. Maybe I'm wrong, but I do think that Jets would have gotten it done had not been for the mud that Jan but we'll never know (no excuses) I guess. Plus Washington would have really been tough for them anyway. I would have liked to have seen it either way though, as long as not at Steelers expense which obviously wouldn't have been the case anyway. I did like that '81 Jets squad and remember watching their exciting win vs Miami at Shea with my Dad and Grandpa and feeling a bit sad when they went one-and-done vs Buffalo at home a month later. And what was it about my Steelers having their number perhaps longer than need be. '81 understandable being that Steelers win over them was before Jets came together but '83 it was very winnable for Jets being Steelers were stumbling down stretch and game was...at home. And that especially applies to '86! In '88, however, it finally caught up to them for the Noll Steelers era was at its absolute nadir.

ps - the very opposite can apply to the whole Jets/Seahawks complex. What WAS ever with that?? Funny irony is that in '85 (when Jets finally beat them) things still looked 'cursed' as a defensive player for Seattle (don't know his name) scored a TD for them early in the game making it seem at the moment as if the Seattle streak would continue on.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:
sheajets wrote:In 1978 Walt Michaels squared off against Noll, Shula, and Landry and went 2-2. Beating Shula twice but losing to Noll and Landry
Nice work! Not sure if this response is better suited for this thread or the 'best chance Jets winning Bowl in '80s' thread but what an irony in that Jets had a 7-0-1 record vs Phins going into '82 season yet got swept themselves 0-3 by them in that '82 campaign. Maybe I'm wrong, but I do think that Jets would have gotten it done had not been for the mud that Jan but we'll never know (no excuses) I guess. Plus Washington would have really been tough for them anyway. I would have liked to have seen it either way though, as long as not at Steelers expense which obviously wouldn't have been the case anyway. I did like that '81 Jets squad and remember watching their exciting win vs Miami at Shea with my Dad and Grandpa and feeling a bit sad when they went one-and-done vs Buffalo at home a month later. And what was it about my Steelers having their number perhaps longer than need be. '81 understandable being that Steelers win over them was before Jets came together but '83 it was very winnable for Jets being Steelers were stumbling down stretch and game was...at home. And that especially applies to '86! In '88, however, it finally caught up to them for the Noll Steelers era was at its absolute nadir.

ps - the very opposite can apply to the whole Jets/Seahawks complex. What WAS ever with that?? Funny irony is that in '85 (when Jets finally beat them) things still looked 'cursed' as a defensive player for Seattle (don't know his name) scored a TD for them early in the game making it seem at the moment as if the Seattle streak would continue on.
The Steelers, while not a Jets rival, have always given the Jets tons of trouble. Even when the Jets are average to good, they seemingly can never move the ball on the road in Pittsburgh. The Jets have beaten them a few times here and their but never in a truly huge game. The 2005 divisional playoff bugs me the most when Herm Edwards ultraconservative playcalling and Briens misses (though in his defense field goals over 40 yards were very difficult in that stadium back then) that 05 game annoys me more than the 2011 championship...in 2005 we push the Steelers to the brink and don't get it done, in the process weakening them next week to where they don't have enough in the tank to beat our bitter rivals New England. In 2011 the Jets came in with the tank already empty, Pitt just ran the ball down their throats early, came up with a key turnover on Sanchez (who always had terrible ball control)

I don't know what was up with the Jets/Seahawks except that few of those games were really memorable except for the Testaverde phantom TD. The Jets seemed to always have an impossible time with Krieg and Zorn who were slippery, elusive and burn us with big throws late.

It was Bruce Harper who coughed up the ball on the opening kickoff and took all the wind out of the Jets sails. Buffalo ran it back for a TD and it was 7-0 before anybody got comfortable in their seats. The Jets couldn't stabilize that game and the Bills went up 24-0 before the Jets even shook the cobwebs off. And Todd had Bobby Jones open for the game winning TD with seconds left but underthrew it! ack! Heartbreaking

I don't have a ton of faith in the 82 Jets winning in Miami even on a perfect field. My take is the Jets just didn't have the guys to stretch the field in Miami, and Miami was very stout defensively with a heavy pass rush and larcenous secondary.

1986 was the year to at least go to the Super Bowl. We absolutely had Cleveland face down and dead in the water. To me that is probably the #1 heartbreaker in Jets history as I have no doubt we beat Denver the next week.