"Two" NFL Films questions

Bryan

"Two" NFL Films questions

Post by Bryan »

1) When did NFL Films create all the vignettes of the 1950's players using John Facenda? It seems like they were all done in the early-80's. I know some of these vignettes are on the two Fabulous Fifties volumes, I've also seen others mixed in with other NFL Films offerings from the late-80's. Does anyone have a comprehensive list of these Facenda/1950's segments?

2) I've been looking for the 1981 edition of the Best Ever Runners video with Facenda narration. It appears that the NFL Special Order catalog only offers later editions. Is there any way to obtain this video?
Citizen

Re: "Two" NFL Films questions

Post by Citizen »

I think a lot of those features, which usually ran 4-7 minutes, were done originally for NFL Films' syndicated anthology programs in the early '80s, such as Pro! Magazine and later used on shows like Men Who Played the Game, which ran on ESPN later in the decade. A lot of them were also sewn into themed home video collections such as High Stakes Heroes.

I taped a bunch of them way back when. Here's at least a partial list of subjects, though I can't swear Facenda narrated all of them (in fact, I'm sure several were done by Harry Kalas).

Alex Hawkins
Alex Webster
Big Daddy Lipscomb
Bill Brown
Bill Dudley
Bob Brown
Bob St. Clair
Bobby Mitchell
Buddy Young
Chuck Bednarik
Dan Abramowicz
Dave Parks
Dave Wilcox
Deacon Jones
Dick James
Don Coryell
Doug Atkins
Duane Thomas
Earl Morralll
Ed O’Bradovich
Ed Sprinkle
Eddie LeBaron
Elroy Hirsch
Fran Tarkenton
Frank Gifford
Fred Dryer
Fred Williamson
Gale Sayers
George Allen
George Blanda
Hardy Brown
Jack Youngblood
Jim Marshall
Jim O’Brien
Jim Parker
Joe Kapp
Joe Kuharich
John David Crow
John Mackey
John McKay
John Stallworth
John Unitas
Lenny Moore
Lou Saban
Merlin Olsen
Mike Ditka
Norm Snead
Norm Van Brocklin
Paul Brown
Pete Gent
Sherill Headrick
Sonny Jurgensen
Tom Dempsey
Tommy McDonald
Tommy Nobis
Too Tall Jones
Walt Garrison
Willie Galimore
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

Given that Facenda's last work came with Super Bowl XVIII (Oakland v. Washington), they would have done sometime between 1980-83.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Nice list Citizen.

Don't want to start another thread for this but last week NFL Films Presents wasn't on when it usually would be due to baseball, my guide said it would be on Friday so I set my DVR but it ended up being a FOX fantasy football show. So does anyone know when/if it aired (it was supposed to have Patrick Peterson, and car collections) ?

It was also supposed to be on before last night's episode but it wasn't.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

There were also features on Jon Arnett, Dick Bass, and Ollie Matson.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

Reaser wrote:Nice list Citizen.

Don't want to start another thread for this but last week NFL Films Presents wasn't on when it usually would be due to baseball, my guide said it would be on Friday so I set my DVR but it ended up being a FOX fantasy football show. So does anyone know when/if it aired (it was supposed to have Patrick Peterson, and car collections) ?

It was also supposed to be on before last night's episode but it wasn't.
I used to watch NFL Films Presents religiously, but I gave up on the show when Joe Buck took over as the host. When Steve Sabol was running it, it still had a lot of segments on the history of the game. I knew the NFL would dump the historical segments and make the Joe Buck show about the current NFL.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Rupert Patrick wrote:I used to watch NFL Films Presents religiously, but I gave up on the show when Joe Buck took over as the host. When Steve Sabol was running it, it still had a lot of segments on the history of the game. I knew the NFL would dump the historical segments and make the Joe Buck show about the current NFL.
Yup, even with no host last year it was better than it is this year with Buck. Though still enough oddity segments that you aren't getting anywhere else. Plus of course it's football related which is literally better than anything else one could be watching that time of day (except the past two weeks the show hasn't been on when it was supposed to be) ...