Is it an NFL Hall of Fame or a Pro Football Hall of Fame 1

oldecapecod11

Is it an NFL Hall of Fame or a Pro Football Hall of Fame 1

Post by oldecapecod11 »

ARCHIVE

N.B. "Split Archive" pp1, 2, 3 here; pp 4 & 5 to follow

Is it an NFL Hall of Fame or a Pro Football Hall of Fame (Part 1)
Started by John Grasso, Apr 02 2014 07:54 AM

Page 1 of 5

91 replies to this topic

#1 John Grasso
Starter
Board of Directors
350 posts
Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:54 AM
In another thread mention is made of Damon Allen and the fact that he should not be
considered for the Pro Football Hall of Fame. I'm curious though - is it a Pro Football
Hall of Fame or just a Hall of Fame for the NFL? I looked at the Hall's website, mission
statement and selection process and don't see anything to clarify it.

The Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame recognizes non-NBA players for their
contribution to basketball. The Baseball Hall (after some arm-twisting) recognizes
Negro League players. Shouldn't the Pro Football Hall also recognize Canadian League
players? And even Arena League players?

#2 Citizen
Veteran
Forum Visitors
757 posts
Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:58 AM
Whether or not it's ever officially acknowledged as such, it's definitely the NFL Hall of Fame.

#3 Bryan
Veteran
Forum Visitors
662 posts
Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:04 AM
I think the Pro Football Hall of Fame encompasses the APFA, NFL, AAFC, and AFL. I think the CFL has their own Hall of Fame...it would probably be a more appropriate place for Damon Allen than the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
The Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame is a complete mess. Dennis Johnson can be bumped from a ballot by an Eastern European women's player.

#4 conace21
Pro Bowler
Forum Visitors
1,293 posts
Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:35 AM
It's not officially the NFL Hall of Fame, and Marion Motley and Billy Shaw were inducted for their work in the AAFC and AFL, respectively. It seeks to represent the highest levels of professional football, and the WFL, USFL, Arena League, and CFL all fall short. IIRC, the HOF did have an exhibit dedicated to these other leagues.

#5 ronfitch
Starter
Forum Visitors
477 posts
Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:00 AM
Bryan, on 02 Apr 2014 - 09:04 AM, said:
I think the Pro Football Hall of Fame encompasses the APFA, NFL, AAFC, and AFL. I think the CFL has their own Hall of Fame...it would probably be a more appropriate place for Damon Allen than the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

The Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame is a complete mess. Dennis Johnson can be bumped from a ballot by an Eastern European women's player.
The CFL does have its own ... http://www.cfhof.ca/
Bud Grant and Warren Moon are in both the Canadian Football Hall of Fame and the Pro Football Hall of Fame, Grant as a "builder" in the CFHoF and coach in the PFHoF and Moon as the only player in both.

#6 Reaser
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member
1,729 posts
Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:42 AM
John Grasso, on 02 Apr 2014 - 07:54 AM, said:
I'm curious though - is it a Pro Football Hall of Fame or just a Hall of Fame for the NFL?

Shouldn't the Pro Football Hall also recognize Canadian League
The Baseball Hall (after some arm-twisting) recognizes
Negro League players. Shouldn't the Pro Football Hall also recognize Canadian League

It's for Pro Football.

Both the CFL and Arena Football have their own HOF's and for good reason.

The PFHOF is for the sport of American football. Canadian football isn't American football. Arena football is an entirely different sport.

This discussion has been had here multiple times, people get caught up on the wrong thing, "Football", if you want to go that route then there's Australian Football (with the better known "AFL" worldwide), or you know, 'soccer', pretty much every country has their own football. The (American) PFHOF isn't a catch-all for all forms of "football", it's for the best players (and contributors) in the best sport in America.

Did Negro League players really get compared to Arena Football players? Yikes . . .

Though profits are important, the sport must take precedence over the business

#7 Reaser
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member
1,729 posts
Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:51 AM
Bryan, on 02 Apr 2014 - 09:04 AM, said:
The Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame is a complete mess.
No kidding, it's the worst of the major HOF's.

I guess at least no one has started to campaign for legendary Slamball players to be inducted . . . yet.

Though profits are important, the sport must take precedence over the business

#8 BD Sullivan
All-Decade
Forum Visitors
3,625 posts
Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:30 PM
The PFHOF is considered separate from the NFL, but I don't think there's ever been any serious consideration of including CFL players. All the other leagues had such a short life span that they get passed over, regardless of how dominant someone might have been in that department. Obviously, the cases of Motley and Shaw are the exceptions, rather than the rule.

#9 JWL
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member
1,846 posts
Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:49 PM
Reaser, on 02 Apr 2014 - 11:51 AM, said:
No kidding, it's the worst of the major HOF's.

I guess at least no one has started to campaign for legendary Slamball players to be inducted . . . yet.

I never pay mind to the inductions, but sometimes learn about them while hearing sports updates on the radio or while looking at the scroll on an ESPN channel. In recent years I saw that Reggie Miller and Bernard King did not get in, but some female basketball players from Europe or Asia got inducted. I just cannot take it seriously.

#10 JWL
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member
1,846 posts
Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:54 PM
The argument for Damon Allen (made by multiple people on another football forum that will remain nameless) was that he was a great pro football player. Therefore, he should be immortalized in the Pro Football Hall of Fame and his bust should be in the same room as Jim Brown and Joe Montana and company. Never mind the fact that Allen could not make a NFL roster and was maybe a worse quarterback than Bob Gagliano and Mark Vlasic and Brooks Bollinger.

#11 Reaser
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member
1,729 posts
Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:53 PM
JWL, on 02 Apr 2014 - 12:49 PM, said:
Reggie Miller and Bernard King did not get in, but some female basketball players from Europe or Asia got inducted. I just cannot take it seriously.
When Reggie Miller did get in, he was part of a great class, headlined by Phil Knight . . .

#12 oldecapecod 11
Veteran
PFRA Member
563 posts
Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:24 PM
The Canton facility serves the National Football League.

This is not a bad thing.
It is simply a misnomer since it does not encompass all of professional football.

It serves the most successful survivor of a relatively small group - one professional organization and that organization is the National Football League, the parent, if you will, of those groups that are embraced as accepted members of its family. Other members, legitimate or otherwise, are ignored.

There is no prototype of the perfect hall of fame.
The scope of the other institutions does not and cannot be compared with that of the NFL shrine.

Basketball is an internationally formatted activity. The Springfield, Massachusetts site acknowleges such and needs to hang its head in shame over the exclusion of so many deserving players.
But, that is true with every similar organization. There will always be those who disagree - not only about those excluded, but about those who cause the exclusion, where the "line" is drawn and who draws the line.
Witness: The "put and take" thread in this venue.
It is difficult, however, to hang a head that is already buried in sand. Other generations will tire of watching ten people run back and forth in their underwear; in fact, the switch to pajama-like attire indicates that has already started.

Note: The NFL has followed suit (Is that a pun?) with its garments which will soon resemble NASCAR entries.

Baseball lost all credibility with its Negro Leagues' catch-up nonsense a few years back.
They created a "committee," allocated a few million for R&D, gave the chair to a white ex-comm, (That's c-o-m-m, not c-o-n.) and waited for results.
After one major party at a posh resort, the committee members dispersed.
Each was given some of the R&D money and it was agreed that each would put forth the candidate of their choice and all would approve.
The result: In one case, the wife of an owner known for sleeping with the teams' players is now a bona fide hall of fame membress. (Her husband once traded a player enjoying her favors for a used bat and a pair of sliding pads - also used but no one knows by whom.)

Hockey is not too bad. At least it is located where no one would be so stupid as to refer to Grant Fuhr as an African-American. But, with all the recent furor about Wayne Gretzky's daughter, they might be considering publishing a "Ice-Suit Edition" of their Newsletter.

What's left?

Golf? Well, there were two of them but they merged. The only bad thing I can say about golf is that during my one visit to The Country Club in Brookline (That's where Julius Boros won.) the peanuts at the bar were disgustingly stale. Those stuffy old yankees gobbled them up anyway.
I think that is hall-worthy news.

Tennis? Ahhh! now there is purity in its most virgin form.
It is so pure that one cannot even criticize the fact that the players wear white after Labor Day. Plus, it is in one of America's earliest capitol cities.

So, back to Canton - one of the top five most deteriorating cities in a state that leads the Nation in the number of cities that are in decline.
The NFL super store is probably keeping the city of Canton afloat. (An interesting word "afloat" because, up until just recently, the Cuyahoga could be used to portray the Sea of Galilee and people could be filmed walking on the surface.)

Yes; Canton pays homage to the NFL and does not have to be a bad thing.

Simply admit it and call it what it is: The NFL Hall of Fame.

In the meantime, admit there are others that have tried and give credit, when deserved, to their efforts.
Admit there are girls playing the game. (Hey! They did that in Cooperstown. Did it hurt their image? No!)
Admit and acknowledge it all.

It will only make the NFL survival and success that much more outstanding.

And, one last thing, let it not be afraid to admit that it is not perfect, that it makes and continues to make mistakes, and that it willfully and intentionally excludes information anyone can verify as correct.

I have only been to visit twice and can see no reason to go again.
Give me and maybe thousands of others, that reason.
After all, in what other gift shop can one buy anything from a Washington Redskins' book of matches to a super-size nightie for the girl of everyone's dreams?

MultiEdit
#13 Jeremy Crowhurst
Starter
PFRA Member
323 posts
Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:02 PM
JWL, on 02 Apr 2014 - 12:54 PM, said:
Never mind the fact that Allen could not make a NFL roster and was maybe a worse quarterback than Bob Gagliano and Mark Vlasic and Brooks Bollinger.

Which NFL team did he try out for, and fail to make the cut? I'm pretty sure the answer is "none". He was a 6'1" African-American QB. Not a lot of them got camp invites in the 80's and 90's.

#14 Bryan
Veteran
Forum Visitors
662 posts
Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:31 PM
Jeremy Crowhurst, on 02 Apr 2014 - 3:02 PM, said:
Which NFL team did he try out for, and fail to make the cut? I'm pretty sure the answer is "none". He was a 6'1" African-American QB. Not a lot of them got camp invites in the 80's and 90's.

I didn't get a camp invite in the 80's or 90's either. Where's my bust?

#15 Reaser
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member
1,729 posts
Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:56 PM
Since Allen evidently can sidetrack the discussion, how about using Anthony Calvillo (future CFL HOF'er) as the example instead?

Would anyone really put him in the PFHOF? and what, we're going to put Sherdrick Bonner in the PFHOF, put him in the same room as Montana, Baugh, Unitas? Asinine . . . Who comes up with this stuff? So what, if a QB's goal is to make it to the PFHOF he should skip (and by skip I mean not be a good enough player) the NFL, hell skip the CFL, play Arena football, or hey, play in one of the million other indoor football leagues, play a long time, set league records in an inferior league, and he's a HOF'er?

#16 Jeremy Crowhurst
Starter
PFRA Member
323 posts
Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:09 PM
Reaser, on 02 Apr 2014 - 3:56 PM, said:
Since Allen evidently can sidetrack the discussion, how about using Anthony Calvillo (future CFL HOF'er) as the example instead?

Would anyone really put him in the PFHOF? and what, we're going to put Sherdrick Bonner in the PFHOF, put him in the same room as Montana, Baugh, Unitas? Asinine . . . Who comes up with this stuff? So what, if a QB's goal is to make it to the PFHOF he should skip (and by skip I mean not be a good enough player) the NFL, hell skip the CFL, play Arena football, or hey, play in one of the million other indoor football leagues, play a long time, set league records in an inferior league, and he's a HOF'er?

I thought the point you made above was a pretty good final word on the topic -- CFL is a different game than American football.

As for who comes up with it, probably my fellow Canadians seeking validation, sportswriters on a slow day, and -- perhaps most commonly in the last decade or so -- Doug Flutie fans who think he should be in Canton. I've seen lots of ink about Flutie's numbers as a "pro" making him supposedly worthy of the HoF, but this is the first time I've seen Damon Allen's name thrown up there.

#17 Jeremy Crowhurst
Starter
PFRA Member
323 posts
Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:14 PM
Bryan, on 02 Apr 2014 - 3:31 PM, said:
I didn't get a camp invite in the 80's or 90's either. Where's my bust?

I guess you're more of a "Hall of Very Good" guy.

#18 JWL
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member
1,846 posts
Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:43 PM
Maybe he never did try out. The Allen message board fiasco may have been from a half dozen years ago now. I recall some mention of a NFL tryout, but maybe that was from me and I am just recalling incorrectly. It is possible that I wrote something like, "If he was so good how come he didn't play in the NFL?"

I believe I did see him play once or twice and this was after Warren Moon and Doug Williams had NFL success. His race could not have been an issue.

#19 BD Sullivan
All-Decade

Forum Visitors

3,625 posts
Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:17 PM

He was a territorial selection of the USFL's Los Angeles Express, though they already had Steve Young, not to mention being on the road to financial collapse--much like the league itself.

#20 NWebster
Veteran
Forum Visitors

796 posts
Interests:Defensive FB Stats, Special Teams Performances, Heavy Metal Music, Fitness
Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:57 PM
BD Sullivan, on 02 Apr 2014 - 5:17 PM, said:
He was a territorial selection of the USFL's Los Angeles Express, though they already had Steve Young, not to mention being on the road to financial collapse--much like the league itself.

Speaking of the USFL, had Donald Trump been less pig headed - yes thats a BIG IF. Could 4-5 USFL teams have merged into the NFL and would Herschel Walker be in the Hall. The Invaders, Stars, Generals, Gamblers and Express could have been candidates. So the Oilers then flee Houston a few years early, the Raiders flee LA a few years early and the Invaders and Generals and Stars relocate.

Page 1 of 5

oldecapecod 11

Is it an NFL Hall of Fame or a Pro Football Hall of Fame

Page 2 of 5
91 replies to this topic

#21 Versatile John
Starter
PFRA Member
336 posts
Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:09 PM
The closest Damon Allen will get to the Pro Football Hall of Fame will be when he visits his brother's bust in Canton.

#22 oldecapecod 11
Veteran
PFRA Member
563 posts
Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:43 PM
NWebster
"...and Generals and Stars relocate."

Why the Generals?

New York could have and can support three teams. Long Island is virtually untapped and a core of Titans / Jets supporters are just waiting and hoping for an opportunity to roar.

#23 Teo
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member
1,107 posts
Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:08 PM
NWebster, on 02 Apr 2014 - 6:57 PM, said:
Speaking of the USFL, had Donald Trump been less pig headed - yes thats a BIG IF. Could 4-5 USFL teams have merged into the NFL and would Herschel Walker be in the Hall. The Invaders, Stars, Generals, Gamblers and Express could have been candidates. So the Oilers then flee Houston a few years early, the Raiders flee LA a few years early and the Invaders and Generals and Stars relocate.

The Express were a fiasco, the L.A. Coliseum was so empty when they played that even their owner had to relinquish the team for the final season (as the Chicago Blitz). The USFL feared that if both Chicago an Los Angeles were without a team, ABC would drop their Sunday TV telecasts, so they kept the Express and dropped the Blitz. For the final Express home game, they played in a 3,000 stadium at Pierce College in San Bernardino Valley.

But I think that the Jacksonville Bulls and maybe the Memphis Showboats would've been strong candidates. I bet that without the Bulls' attendance (i believe there were the biggest in USFL history) the Jaguars wouldn't have existed in Jacksonville a decade later.

#24 Teo
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member
1,107 posts
Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:14 PM
Versatile John, on 02 Apr 2014 - 7:09 PM, said:
The closest Damon Allen will get to the Pro Football Hall of Fame will be when he visits his brother's bust in Canton.

Something interesting about the Canadian Football Hall of Fame is that they also induct amateur/college players, coaches and contributors (named "builders" down there). For the past five years a former CIS (Canadian NCAA) player has been inducted each year based solely in his college resumè (although most of them also played in the CFL later, albeit not as an All-Star player).

In the United States there is also a College Football Hall of Fame, and many players are inducted in both the Pro and in the College Hall of Fames (examples: Jim Brown, Walter Payton, Roger Staubach, Bob Lilly, Randy White, Barry Sanders, Deion Sanders, etc.) and there are a few players in both the College and Canadian Halls (Doug Flutie).

#25 NWebster
Veteran
Forum Visitors
796 posts
Interests:Defensive FB Stats, Special Teams Performances, Heavy Metal Music, Fitness
Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:32 PM
oldecapecod 11, on 02 Apr 2014 - 7:43 PM, said:
NWebster
"...and Generals and Stars relocate."Why the Generals?
New York could have and can support three teams. Long Island is virtually untapped and a core of Titans / Jets supporters are just waiting and hoping for an opportunity to roar.

ok should admit, that unlike most posts I threw that out there without much thought. But I do believe that you could have made made 3-4 borderline NFL teMs from USFL rosters. Nothing lime the Browns in 1950 - but 4-5 win teams.

#26 oldecapecod 11
Veteran
PFRA Member
563 posts
Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:15 PM
NWebster
"ok..."

There was no question about the number of teams or the validity of the projection.

It simply stated the Generals would not have had to relocate because there is room in New York for a third NFL franchise and I believe it will happen in the expansion following the next expansion.
There are nearly 8-million people living on Long Island and the demographics are more far favorable than a number of current NFL cities such as Cincinnati, Cleveland, and Detroit to name just a few.
In fact, the State of New York could have its own Conference thus assuring the biggest market in the world at least one playoff game every season. That is a Madison Avenue delight.
The 8-million does not include, of course, a peripheral fan base in places like Staten Island, Westchester and Rockland Counties, Southern Connecticut and the biggest prize of all - excess fans from the Boroughs of The Bronx and Manhattan.
Former Secretary of Defense Charles Wilson once said "...because for years I thought what was good for our country was good for General Motors, and vice versa."
It could be said that what is good for New York would certainly be good for the National Football League which has already become bigger than US Steel.

Add to all this the following: a third NFL team in metro-New York City would likely deny that market to the next upstart league to come along because a sports organization without the city of New York would have about the same chance of survival as Charles Manson has to become the next Pope.

#27 Moran
Starter
PFRA Member
338 posts
Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:16 PM
I thought this thread might touch on some candidates from the pre-1920 era-

#28 Jeremy Crowhurst
Starter
PFRA Member
323 posts
Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:30 AM
I wasn't yet a fan of football at the time, but my sense from what I've read is that the NFL/USFL situation (from the NFL's perspective at least) was out and out total war. The USFL went after their players, something the AFL and AAFC didn't do, so the degree of animosity was much higher. So was there really any chance at all that the NFL would have brought in any of their teams?

#29 John Grasso
Starter
Board of Directors
350 posts
Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:51 AM
My original point was if it's a "Professional Football" Hall of Fame it should acknowledge that
there are others who play or have played "professional football" besides those in the NFL.
The fact that there are other Halls of Fame for other forms of pro football should have no
bearing on whether the "Professional Football" Hall in Canton should exclude them.

That doesn't mean that they were as good as NFL players but excelled within their own leagues.

Comparing Damon Allen's CFL career with those of NFL players is like
comparing Joe Montana with Cal Hubbard. Was Montana a "better" player than Hubbard?
They both excelled at their own positions within their eras.

#30 oldecapecod 11
Veteran
PFRA Member
563 posts
Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:24 AM
John Grasso
"My original point..."

There are some here who understood your original query and responded in kind.

The operation of the Canton facility belies its name. It does not cater to professional football. It caters to and serves what is dictated by one professional football league, albeit the most successful professional league in history.

When you are at the top, I suppose you can call yourself anything you wish but, regardless of corporate filing or an otherwise choice of fictitious name, it is what it is: a hall of fame for the National Football League - no more and no less.

The story is as old as war: History is written by the winners. The NFL is the winner. The hall of fame serves.

Jeremy
"I wasn't..."

The A-AFC had little need to go after NFL players. Cleveland proved that immediately following the merger.

The AFL and NFL had rather aggressive and humorous bidding wars. Contracts were far more restrictive by the time the AFL came along (We are talking of the 1960 version, assumedly.) and the AFL teams did not need to spend their money paying more lawyers.
(Is it true that at the world's end, the last people standing will be lawyers fighting over checks?)

Was it not the NFL that completed the first "raid" of a player?
I think so. I think the name was Gogolak?

Moran
"I thought..."

For sure it would be, Mike, if there were more who hoped the hall stood true to its name.
I suppose prior to 1920 the word professional had a different meaning for some although, in reality, I think not.
It's meaning is simply ignored - as are most other professional football leagues.

#31 BD Sullivan
All-Decade
Forum Visitors
3,625 posts
Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:03 AM
Jeremy Crowhurst, on 03 Apr 2014 - 01:30 AM, said:
I wasn't yet a fan of football at the time, but my sense from what I've read is that the NFL/USFL situation (from the NFL's perspective at least) was out and out total war. The USFL went after their players, something the AFL and AAFC didn't do, so the degree of animosity was much higher. So was there really any chance at all that the NFL would have brought in any of their teams?
There supposedly was a push to move up the Draft to combat the wave of early signings by the USFL (especially by Bobby Beathard), but Pete Rozelle put out a BS statement about how the teams liked to have that extra time to assess prospects--which annoyed Beathard. In other words, Rozelle was content if the USFL got a few big-name players, since he knew they couldn't sign every big name.

Rozelle did call the situation pretty well, having been through similar battles with the AFL and WFL. He said that eventually the USFL would file an antitrust lawsuit, and call for a merger, which they did. The difference with the other leagues is that the USFL actually won its lawsuit. However, due to its financial incompetence, they only were awarded the infamous $3.

#32 Reaser
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member
1,729 posts
Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:38 PM
John Grasso, on 03 Apr 2014 - 07:51 AM, said:
That doesn't mean that they were as good as NFL players but excelled within their own leagues.

Comparing Damon Allen's CFL career with those of NFL players is like
comparing Joe Montana with Cal Hubbard. Was Montana a "better" player than Hubbard?
They both excelled at their own positions within their eras.
"excelled within their own leagues" would only make sense if the leagues were comparable (they aren't, especially in the time frame being discussed, talent level and of course one is Canadian football and one is American football) ... This isn't European football (hey, "professional football" Messi should end up in Canton someday!) where you have some of the best players playing in England, some in Spain, some in Germany, etc ... where leagues (at least the top teams) are on par. This is American Football, where there isn't currently - and hasn't been for some time - a league comparable to the NFL.

AAFC, AFL, USFL, WFL, Independents and other leagues of 20's-40's, and of course Pre-1920's, all playing professional American football. Each league or team is a case by case basis, let's use the AAFC as the example; on or nearly on par with NFL, AAFC accomplishments should be treated as such, plus players weren't in the AAFC because they weren't good enough to play in the NFL, which is the HUGE difference to what this topic is, which is putting in players not good enough to play at the highest level in the PFHOF, which makes absolutely no sense.

Great comparison though, Cal Hubbard was the best tackle in football in his era, Montana was the best QB in his era, Damon Allen was nowhere near the best (American football) QB in his era (hence why he wasn't in the NFL) ... so that makes a lot of sense?

Great point by Michael though, maybe someone like Peggy Parratt? That's a different topic though, the best players pre-1920 are the best professional (American) football players of that time, and this topic is about putting in players who aren't even good enough to play at the highest level of the sport (the sport being American football) . . . So would probably be a disservice to talk about the BEST players of pre-1920 and include them in the same pool as Arena Football players and CFL players of more moden times (i.e. players not good enough to play in the NFL), completely different categories, best players as opposed to not ... Pre-1920 is a great idea for it's own thread though, I would think.

#33 Mark L. Ford
President PFRA
Administrators
1,144 posts
Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:43 PM
As far as being inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, it would be hard to find someone who had never played in the National Football League. There just haven't been any other leagues of "American football" that have lasted more than ten years, and very few inductees have careers of less than ten years. The AFL made it a whole decade, and then its franchises became ten NFL teams. Other than that, the major competitors went four years (AAFC), three years (USFL), two years (WFL and a couple of other AFLs) if they were lucky enough to get past the first season. I tend to agree with the view that Canadian football and Arena football would be separate sports, in the same way that rugby union and rugby football are.

Still, it would be an interesting question-- if one person, with no significant connection to the NFL, was to be enshrined for making a significant impact on the history of pro football, who would be the front runner? It would take another thread, and there would probably be all sorts of catcalls and boos and hisses at the suggestions, so perhaps it's not a big deal if it's never raised.

#34 oldecapecod 11
Veteran
PFRA Member
563 posts
Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:27 PM
Mark L. Ford
"...one person, with no significant connection to the NFL..."

Wearing ear-muffs to avoid catcalls and boos and hisses;
clad, with visor lowered, in the family armor of the Clan Forsyth;
and mounted upon the trusted war horse for escape amid bombardment do so solemnly suggest:
Wilfred Feinberg, who, as required by his seat, could have no connection - significant or otherwise - to the NFL.
(Season tickets, game or games attendance, and / or viewing televised games at any level did not and does not constitute a "connection.")

MultiEdit
#35 Bryan
Veteran
Forum Visitors
662 posts
Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:32 PM
Mark L. Ford, on 03 Apr 2014 - 12:43 PM, said:

Still, it would be an interesting question-- if one person, with no significant connection to the NFL, was to be enshrined for making a significant impact on the history of pro football, who would be the front runner? It would take another thread, and there would probably be all sorts of catcalls and boos and hisses at the suggestions, so perhaps it's not a big deal if it's never raised.

Teddy Roosevelt

He's on my Mt. Rushmore of unconnected NFL contributors.

#36 Mark L. Ford
President PFRA
Administrators
1,144 posts
Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:46 PM
And, as Mr. Borglum would have it, he's on everyone's Mt. Rushmore.... If T.R. hadn't been an athlete, it's possible that the game would have become as obsolete as the six-day bicycle race, and that soccer or rugby would have been the autumn sport.

#37 Mark L. Ford
President PFRA
Administrators
1,144 posts
Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:28 PM
I didn't notice it until today, but the mission statement of the PFHOF has changed, reworded to something that one might cite as an example of "circular reasoning". I was always used to the one that stated that the first mission was "To honor individuals who have made outstanding contributions to professional football", which sort of defined the criteria for enshrinement. This was followed by preserving its history, educating the public and promoting the sport.

Well, missions two and four are still there, but the mission statement now is that "The Pro Football Hall of Fame will continue to be the world’s leading Sports Hall of Fame committed to 1. Celebrating excellence achieved by Hall of Famers...." Put another way, the Pro Football Hall of Fame honors people who should be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

#38 oldecapecod 11
Veteran
PFRA Member
563 posts
Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:48 PM
Mark L. Ford
"...six-day bicycle race, and that soccer or rugby..."

The bicycle thing might have succeeded if they had cut the duration to three or four days.
Ask Robert Redford. The novel "Six Days of the Condor" was filmed as "Three Days of the Condor" and was a mild success. (Very Mild!)
But, if they allowed bicycles in the image of those Greek chariots with the blades to cut the opposition's wheels, we might have never needed NASCAR.

Rugby? Maybe... but with the expanded acceptance of some persuasions, it is hard to imagine some guy scurrying about beneath all those bent over bodies?

Soccer? Never... Americans (USA version) would find something odd about a proposed national pastime that did not allow the use of hands and encouraged hitting the ball with the head.

We probably would have seen the expansion of Roller Derby.

On a cheerier note, just think: If football had been "invented" a few years sooner, we would have never seen the horrible waste of humanity that was the War of Southern Secession.
The Harvards and Yales of the North would have just kicked butt and it would have been settled.

'Course "today," the Alabamas and Florida States would be makin' some changes.

#39 PowderedH2O
Starter
Forum Visitors
152 posts
Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:22 PM
Does the HOF have any connection with the NFL like the baseball one does? Meaning, if a player were banned by the NFL, would the Pro Football HOF have to also not allow that player to be eligible for induction? Obviously, the HOF has a number of players that have been arrested/jailed after their induction, but none that were actively suspended from the NFL. Heck, for that matter, is there anyone that is currently on a lifetime suspension from the NFL?

#40 ronfitch
Starter
Forum Visitors
477 posts
Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:43 PM
PowderedH2O, on 03 Apr 2014 - 3:22 PM, said:
Does the HOF have any connection with the NFL like the baseball one does? Meaning, if a player were banned by the NFL, would the Pro Football HOF have to also not allow that player to be eligible for induction? Obviously, the HOF has a number of players that have been arrested/jailed after their induction, but none that were actively suspended from the NFL. Heck, for that matter, is there anyone that is currently on a lifetime suspension from the NFL?

Can't answer the first part, but there have been players suspeded for life, only to be reinstated. Art Schlichter, however, was banned by Rozelle for life and I don't believe that has ever been lifted. Gregg Williams, the ex-Saints' DC, is still banned indefinitely, I think.

As for current members, Paul Hornung received an indefinite suspension and sat out the '63 season. Rozelle lifted it for the '64 season.

Page 2 of 5

oldecapecod 11

Page 3 of 5

91 replies to this topic
#41 Reaser
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member
1,729 posts
Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:03 PM
ronfitch, on 03 Apr 2014 - 3:43 PM, said:
Gregg Williams, the ex-Saints' DC, is still banned indefinitely, I think.
He's the DC for the Rams.

#42 oldecapecod 11
Veteran
PFRA Member
563 posts
Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:12 PM
ronfitch
"...Paul Hornung..."

Did not Alex Karras suffer the same wrist-slapping nonsense?

Karras, by the way, was another very noteworthy player (named All-Decade and a handful of Pro Bowls) who was ignored for Canton.
Granted, he was not a golden boy with the endorsement of Saint Vincent and the blessings of "Touchdown Jesus."

#43 ronfitch
Starter
Forum Visitors
477 posts
Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:16 PM
oldecapecod 11, on 03 Apr 2014 - 4:12 PM, said:
ronfitch
"...Paul Hornung..."

Karras, by the way, was another very noteworthy player (named All-Decade and a handful of Pro Bowls) who was ignored for Canton.
Granted, he was not a golden boy with the endorsement of Saint Vincent and the blessings of "Touchdown Jesus."

You clipped too much of my post ... I wrote, "As for current members, Paul Hornung ..."

Karras is not a member of the HoF.

#44 ronfitch
Starter
Forum Visitors
477 posts
Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:16 PM
Reaser, on 03 Apr 2014 - 4:03 PM, said:
He's the DC for the Rams.

Thanks, Reaser.

#45 oldecapecod 11
Veteran
PFRA Member
563 posts
Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:30 PM
ronfitch

"...clipped..."

No; I did not "clip" your post. I simply copied the only word pertinent to my comment.
(If you read it, you will see it says "was ignored for Canton" which references Karras as one of many others for various reasons who are not in the hall.)
Karras and Hornung were part of the same suspension issue and announced simultaneously (I think.)

I would not clip you. That's 15 yards and I am too old to try to make them up.
Sorry if you felt that.

#46 JWL
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member
1,846 posts
Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:24 PM
ronfitch, on 03 Apr 2014 - 3:43 PM, said:
Can't answer the first part, but there have been players suspeded for life, only to be reinstated. Art Schlichter, however, was banned by Rozelle for life and I don't believe that has ever been lifted. Gregg Williams, the ex-Saints' DC, is still banned indefinitely, I think.

As for current members, Paul Hornung received an indefinite suspension and sat out the '63 season. Rozelle lifted it for the '64 season.
Greg Williams is back in the league.

#47 BD Sullivan
All-Decade
Forum Visitors
3,625 posts
Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:16 PM
oldecapecod 11, on 03 Apr 2014 - 4:12 PM, said:
ronfitch
"...Paul Hornung..."

Karras started fronting for a betting service after his NFL career ended, which obviously didn't show much remorse for his previous actions. Plus, Karras butted heads for so long with Lions' management and the NFL itself that he became toxic in their eyes.

#48 NWebster
Veteran
Forum Visitors
796 posts
Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:11 PM
Teo, on 02 Apr 2014 - 8:08 PM, said:
The Express were a fiasco, the L.A. Coliseum was so empty when they played that even their owner had to relinquish the team for the final season (as the Chicago Blitz). The USFL feared that if both Chicago an Los Angeles were without a team, ABC would drop their Sunday TV telecasts, so they kept the Express and dropped the Blitz. For the final Express home game, they played in a 3,000 stadium at Pierce College in San Bernardino Valley.

But I think that the Jacksonville Bulls and maybe the Memphis Showboats would've been strong candidates. I bet that without the Bulls' attendance (i believe there were the biggest in USFL history) the Jaguars wouldn't have existed in Jacksonville a decade later.

The Express were certainly a financial disaster, but on the field they were a reasonable team who last I checked placed more players in the NFL than any other USFL franchise.

#49 NWebster
Veteran
Forum Visitors
796 posts
Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:27 PM
BD Sullivan, on 03 Apr 2014 - 7:16 PM, said:
Karras started fronting for a betting service after his NFL career ended, which obviously didn't show much remorse for his previous actions. Plus, Karras butted heads for so long with Lions' management and the NFL itself that he became toxic in their eyes.

I've stated this elsewhere but I find Karras every bit as Hall worthy as Sapp on the field. The suspension probably hurts him, but he was hurt as much by the back half of his career coinciding with the rise of Lilly, Olsen, Page and Greene. In a different era (probably any other era) probably has 1-2 more all-pro's and is a lock. To the AP is the only All Pro that matters crowd his amazing 1962 is lost to history, though he was first team with other, and probably should have been taken over Henry Jordan that season. In 64 he was dominating but now officially in Lilly/Olsen land. Worth noting that Roger Brown's single down season over a 5-6 year run was 63 with Karras out, coincidence, I think not.

#50 NWebster
Veteran
Forum Visitors
796 posts
Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:34 PM
oldecapecod 11, on 02 Apr 2014 - 11:15 PM, said:
NWebster
"ok..."

There was no question about the number of teams or the validity of the projection.

It simply stated the Generals would not have had to relocate because there is room in New York for a third NFL franchise and I believe it will happen in the expansion following the next expansion.

There are nearly 8-million people living on Long Island and the demographics are more far favorable than a number of current NFL cities such as Cincinnati, Cleveland, and Detroit to name just a few.

In fact, the State of New York could have its own Conference thus assuring the biggest market in the world at least one playoff game every season. That is a Madison Avenue delight.

The 8-million does not include, of course, a peripheral fan base in places like Staten Island, Westchester and Rockland Counties, Southern Connecticut and the biggest prize of all - excess fans from the Boroughs of The Bronx and Manhattan.

Former Secretary of Defense Charles Wilson once said "...because for years I thought what was good for our country was good for General Motors, and vice versa."
It could be said that what is good for New York would certainly be good for the National Football League which has already become bigger than US Steel.
Add to all this the following: a third NFL team in metro-New York City would likely deny that market to the next upstart league to come along because a sports organization without the city of New York would have about the same chance of survival as Charles Manson has to become the next Pope.

I personally totally agree - I think the question is would mr Mara and Hess have agreed? Al Davis wouldn't have blocked the Express, he probably already had thoughts about a return to Oakland.

#51 luckyshow
Starter
Forum Visitors
360 posts
Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:01 PM
1) I think pre-NFL pro history could be part of Canton, including inductions. Is Jim Thorpe in the HOF for his middling NFL play or is his past with Canton before the league began, included in his worthiness?
2) There might be other inductions, such as the Cardinals who have longevity on their side. A survivor.
3) There were also Negro football teams. No league, but barnstormers. Dave Myers could be considered throwing in such play. I also don't think admitting Negro players is a sham or disgrace as stated above. The process for admitting members is besides the point. As if politics has not gone into all HOFs admittance voting over the years.
4) I agree that CFL, USFL, the three major AFLs before the last one, are not really a valid point since no one who played for them would rate on that specific participation.
5) Teddy Roosevelt is ridiculous. Perhaps his threats saved football, but over the years, so did Stagg and Camp. They were the ones tweaking the rules and regs until they finally got it right. They stopped mass and momentum plays in the later 1890s after the first broo ha ha over violence and severe injuries and deaths. It was these men, in a purportedly amateur sport who kept changing the rules that made football more palatable and popular. And this could also be said to have led to pro football in the NFL. These rule changes "saved" football many times, but to them professional sports was anathema, best left to prize fights..
6) I think the basketball HOF is done correct. While NBA might be superior to FIBA, etc, I don't think this is the point. Would the Rens be able to beat today's 76ers? I don't know. It is relative over time. Plus they innovated. Similar comparisons with the women's game and perhaps ome mostly non-NBA pros like Oscar Schmidt or Andrew Gaze, Nikos Galis who did their best work perhaps outside the NBA. Anyway I think this approach works well with Springfield. Also when baseball has added importance given to Negro Leagues or women, this only adds to popularity and attendance.

I know little of the hockey HOF. Do they respect the WHL? Or the colorful long past histories?

Anyway I do think if the use of overtime to break ties was originally thought of and sometimes used by non-NFL leagues, this could be a sort of admittance to the HOF if done right. Do they even remotely do anything about such past historic achievements?

#52 Mark L. Ford
President PFRA
Administrators
1,144 posts
Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:42 PM
While Jim Thorpe was past his prime as an athlete by 1920, he did give the APFA instant recognition in the press by agreeing to serve as the league's first President, and to appear with his Canton Bulldogs in the first attempt at a pro football league. The only comparable example I can think of was how people felt about the USFL before, and after, Herschel Walker signed with the New Jersey Generals, and Thorpe was light years ahead of Walker in popularity.

It's true that there were some All-Negro barnstorming teams, but nothing like the Negro League baseball organization, or even the barnstorming basketball teams like the New York Renaissance or the Harlem Globetrotters of the pre-1950 era. The most successful of the teams were three unrelated groups called the Brown Bombers (New York, Chicago and Norfolk) who would play a handful of games every year, sometimes against minor league teams--- Tod Maher did exhaustive research on this 25 years ago and it's interesting reading
http://www.profootba...r/11-05-384.pdf
Economics would be the main reason for nothing similar. Football teams were expensive to operate, simply because there was more equipment and larger rosters.
Finally, although there were some outstanding black college players in that era, there were no black pro stars that one could consider the gridiron equivalent of Josh Gibson or Buck Leonard.
I think it would be tokenism at its worst to try to enshrine whoever might be considered the best member of a black team from the segregated era.

#53 Bob Gill
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member
1,200 posts
Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:52 PM
If the Hall of Fame ever decides to honor a black player from 1933-46, the only real choice is Kenny Washington. He obviously would've been in the NFL, and probably a star, if not for the ban. As it was, he was the best player in the Pacific Coast League in 1940, '41 and '45, and the best player in the West Coast AFL in 1944. Nobody else from that time comes close to him, as far as a Hall of Fame case.

#54 Bryan
Veteran
Forum Visitors
662 posts
Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:47 AM
luckyshow, on 03 Apr 2014 - 9:01 PM, said:
5) Teddy Roosevelt is ridiculous. Perhaps his threats saved football, but over the years, so did Stagg and Camp. They were the ones tweaking the rules and regs until they finally got it right. They stopped mass and momentum plays in the later 1890s after the first broo ha ha over violence and severe injuries and deaths. It was these men, in a purportedly amateur sport who kept changing the rules that made football more palatable and popular. And this could also be said to have led to pro football in the NFL. These rule changes "saved" football many times, but to them professional sports was anathema, best left to prize fights..
6) I think the basketball HOF is done correct. While NBA might be superior to FIBA, etc, I don't think this is the point. Would the Rens be able to beat today's 76ers? I don't know. It is relative over time. Plus they innovated. Similar comparisons with the women's game and perhaps ome mostly non-NBA pros like Oscar Schmidt or Andrew Gaze, Nikos Galis who did their best work perhaps outside the NBA. Anyway I think this approach works well with Springfield. Also when baseball has added importance given to Negro Leagues or women, this only adds to popularity and attendance.

I know little of the hockey HOF. Do they respect the WHL? Or the colorful long past histories?

Anyway I do think if the use of overtime to break ties was originally thought of and sometimes used by non-NFL leagues, this could be a sort of admittance to the HOF if done right. Do they even remotely do anything about such past historic achievements?

5) I wasn't serious. Roosevelt was a convenient Mt Rushmore choice, because he is already on Mt Rushmore. Mentioning old football coaches like Stagg and Camp is taking the easy way out. What about Carl Lindemann, the NBC exec who gave the AFL their big 5yr/$36M TV contract in 1964, pretty much ensuring the long-term survival of that league?
6) The NBA might be superior to FIBA?? And by your implication, some people think the point of the basketball HOF is to "prove" that the NBA is superior to FIBA? The NFL doesn't have the international/female element, but the basketball HOF also is a mess simply from the college/pro angle, because they combine the two. How difficult is it to have seperate college and pro basketball HOFs? How can a voter assess Rick Mount's 3 years at Purdue versus Dennis Johnson's long NBA career? Also, I don't think people are making the trip to Cooperstown because that HOF gave added importance to women. And if the motiviation for giving added importance to women is to increase the HOF's attendance, then that level of crass self-service should be criticized.

In a general sense, I'm not understanding how the Pro Football Hall of Fame "recongnizing" other pro leagues somehow equates to players from lesser leagues being enshrined. So some non-NFL league came up with the brilliant idea of using overtime to break ties...does that mean all their good players should be in Canton? The USFL came up with the instant replay challenge system...so do we put Kelvin Bryant alongside Walter Payton?

#55 oldecapecod 11
Veteran
PFRA Member
563 posts
Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:10 AM
Mark L. Ford
"...outstanding black college players..."

As frightening as it might appear, the exclusion of black players WAS NOT limited to the NFL.

A good (actually, bad) example is the SEC.
That conference excluded blacks by charter and it was a long time until that "Rule" was relaxed.
(Read a little bit about "The Moving Van" for more detail.)

I don't recall the year and I am not going to look it up (Someone here will have that data right on the tips of her or his fingers.) but, when the SEC "changed" its rule, someone asked Bear Bryant for his thoughts.
His answer: "I don't care who they let into the school as long as he can run with a football."

PS "The Moving Van" was Steve.

#56 oldecapecod 11
Veteran
PFRA Member
563 posts
Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:50 AM
Bryan
"...What about Carl Lindemann..."

Long before Lindemann, there was Channel 5 in New York - the Dumont Television Network.

It was the "third fiddle" to CBS and NBC and Channel 7, ABC, was just gearing up.
Channel 11, WPIX, had the Yankees; Channel 9, WOR, had the Giants and no one really wanted the Dodgers. (Maybe Brooklyn did not have electricity yet?)

Anyway, Dumont gave a guy named Roone Arledge his first media job and the rest is history.
Arledge gave the WORLD "Monday Night Football" and that, more than anything, gave the NFL the push it needed. It was no longer just a "Sports Page" item.

It was social - if you did not watch, you were excluded from half the Tuesday morning conversations in America (US version and more.)

It was educational - Roone gave the planet Howard Cosell and Howard had the most profound impact on sports journalism that the world will ever see.

It was sexy - the women drooled over Frank Gifford and, secretly, wanted to sneak away with Dandy Don.

It was violence - people hoped Alex Karras would knock the snot out of the neighborhood bully.

And, it was profitable - ABC could demand whatever they wanted per advertising minute and the NFL took notice.

#57 ronfitch
Starter
Forum Visitors
477 posts
Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:21 AM
oldecapecod 11, on 03 Apr 2014 - 4:30 PM, said:
ronfitch
"...clipped..."

No; I did not "clip" your post. I simply copied the only word pertinent to my comment.
(If you read it, you will see it says "was ignored for Canton" which references Karras as one of many others for various reasons who are not in the hall.)
Karras and Hornung were part of the same suspension issue and announced simultaneously (I think.)

I would not clip you. That's 15 yards and I am too old to try to make them up.
Sorry if you felt that.

Hee ... sorry 'bout that, Cod.
I tried to "like" your post about clipping but was informed that I have hit my quota of "like" for the day (which is apparently zero). Flag on me.

#58 ronfitch
Starter
Forum Visitors
477 posts
Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:34 AM
Bryan, on 04 Apr 2014 - 07:47 AM, said:

5) I wasn't serious. Roosevelt was a convenient Mt Rushmore choice, because he is already on Mt Rushmore.

Bryan, on 04 Apr 2014 - 07:47 AM, said:
Took the kid to Mt. Rushmore last summer, which despite the drive (from anywhere, I am guessing, unless you already live in the Dakotas) was much cooler than I would have imagined. Great state parks, great camping, Rushmore itself is an amazing feat of engineering and the exhibits/movies/etc. are great if you are into history (you know, like us).

One thing that stuck out to me from materials there was the implication that Roosevelt's inclusion in the carving was heavily influenced by the sculptor's Borglum's personal relationship with Teddy. Not sure who - if anybody - I would replace Roosevelt with, but that stuck in my mind. And that the Jefferson carving was actually started on the right side of Washington and they had to scrap it because the rock turned out to not work out. And, of course, just how incredibly cool that thing is in person.

#59 byron
Starter
PFRA Member
259 posts
Posted 04 April 2014 - 04:10 PM

Teddy Roosevelt is ridiculous. Perhaps his threats saved football, but over the years, so did Stagg and Camp. They were the ones tweaking the rules and regs until they finally got it right. They stopped mass and momentum plays in the later 1890s after the first broo ha ha over violence and severe injuries and deaths. It was these men, in a purportedly amateur sport who kept changing the rules that made football more palatable and popular.

Roosevelt simply mirrored the public outcry of the time. That he held the highest office had impact but was not a deciding factor IMHO. Owners and coaches were not continually "tweaking the rules" of the game unless they had a reason to do so (much like today). Mass and Momentum plays were made illegal in 1906 (ironically the roll block into the back of the DL player's legs began to be used around this time as well). This was all done in response to the public outcry against "too many deaths" in the league each season. This issue was a serious black-eye to a fairly young league trying to mark its place in American sports. They made the necessary changes to make the game safer because if they didn't they faced a very real threat to the game's continued existence. Fortunately, their ideas were generally good one and propelled the game forward instead of sinking it.

As for Teddy on Mt. Rushmore? In my opinion he belongs there. Great man, great President.

#60 luckyshow
Starter
Forum Visitors

360 posts
Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:16 PM
In the mid 1890s there was a well known injury, maybe death in a big annual game in Springfield, Mass., between Harvard and Yale. After this (what were later called) Ivy League schools stopped playing in large pribate stadiums as they had been doing, pulling back to campus fields for the most part. For almost 3 decades. And I think some of the dangerous parts of the game began to be changed. Maybe the Flying Wedge was banned?

One can not an approximately 5 to 10 year lull in football, a pullback of sorts. Has anyone ever done a year by year compilation of either the football related fatalities; or rule changes?

Most of the rule changes over time were for the betterment of the game. At least if the basic game of today is considered pretty good (except they are always bitching about the XP. In c.1920, they were determined to make it easier, almost automatic. I think they succeeded at that.

I think the extra point change around that time was a bad rule change. Centering the ball, especially.

But 4 downs to make 10 yards, seems pretty good. Canada does it the "old fashioned" way and not sure if it's better, 3 downs to make 5. They also kept the longer field, but added an enormous end zone, and the rouge. I don't think the Single was ever a part of American football. Nor after the first decade or so, were there 12 a side....

Anyway, my comment on Teddy was mostly about how it would just be incidental if his helping change or save the game, helped the NFL 15 years later. Thus I referenced Camp and Stagg, et al, and how their rule changes did similar/ Where would pro football be without the forward pass? Or the smaller field? For instance.

Yes, T. Roosevelt deserves to be on Mt. Rushmore. He also innovated some police procedures while Commish in New York. I just fault him on his Bully Great White Fleet, the imperialistic impulses and such. He loved war, the idea of war, the glamor and honor of war,, etc., until his son died in war.

Imagine a lesser Mt. Rushmore with Polk, Fillmore, Harrison and Buchanan (Have I chosen well the worst four,?)

Page 3 of 5

oldecapecod 11
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
oldecapecod11

Re: Is it an NFL Hall of Fame or a Pro Football Hall of Fame

Post by oldecapecod11 »

ARCHIVE

N.B. "Split Archive" pp 4 & 5 here; pp 1, 2 & 3 previously posted.)

Is it an NFL Hall of Fame or a Pro Football Hall of Fame (Part 2)

Page 4 of 5

91 replies to this topic

#61 luckyshow
Starter
Forum Visitors
360 posts
Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:57 PM
As to earlier message above (which I saw too late to include in above), I mentioned Camp and Stagg, just because if it were serious to mention T.R.- to extrapolate these men, both Roosevelt and the game's founding fathers (or close enough) to the future; to be honored by a PRO HOF.....I don't buy it. Or else why not the Aztecs who played a game kicking around a ball (or a skull) get a HOF bust?

And yes, whether intended or not, admitting the Negro League era players could be a positive in terms of attendance, of attention, to Cooperstown. Probably doesn't stop the trend of which sports blacks are going into, though. No actual woman has a plaque, it is only an exhibit. Being as how the women's league was formed thinking the war might close down the sport, it is important history. That almost nothing is mentioned about how they were required to wear mini skirts and slide in them, and exactly what this means in a social science sense, well that's another story. Requiring lipstick and short skirts was not meant to attract the female fan.

Lindemann and Roone were not like Stagg and Roosevelt, as they were directly related to the pros.

I don't think Springfield HOF has much to do with NFL. There really are no analogous leagues or entities to [college and pro], to AIAW, to FIBA, etc. Except as I noted before, the pre-NFL pro histories, and perhaps some innovators in early ideas about OT or the barnstorming black teams.

But basketball is a sport where one can see the combining of pro and college. Back when the pro game was played behind cages and there was the other kind of dribble that was more like a mass play in old football-when the pro game was tedious, slow and closer to wrestling than basketball-the college game was all there really was. That and the AAU. And this lasted, really, until the BAA. It is only at Springfield due to college and YMCA origins. Because of Naismith, who I wouldn't be surprised if I learned he was against professional sports. Bow, sure, this is not that different than the amateur football game being all there mainly was before the NFL in 1920, as 1946 is not exactly yesterday. It just works with basketball. It just does. It wouldn't with football.

Where would a pro basketball HOF be located? Is there really a fan base, a tourist base, for splitting Springfield? What for? And then some would not want to acknowledge the early 1960s ABL, or even the early ABA (some might argue the entire ABA span, (Others say the 1970s ABA was stronger than the 1970s NBA).

It makes sense for basketball. It just is a sport where one can honor women, pros, international, even youth, all in same spot. It works. At least to me it does.

Also, WOR, channel 9, broadcast both Dodgers and Giants baseball from 1951 until they moved to California. A limited schedule, maybe only home games. From 1958 to 1961 they broadcast selected Philadelphia Phillies games, mostly those against the LA Dodgers or SF Giants.

By the way, the first World Series TV broadcast in 1947, seen in selected markets, was actually on cable, coaxial cable. Only TVs connected to the cable could view it. When was the first NFL game in color? First championship game in color?

I bet the AFL had color first as it was on NBC, but maybe too late for that to matter

#62 oldecapecod 11
Veteran
PFRA Member
563 posts
Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:56 PM
luckyshow
"... That almost nothing is mentioned about how they were required to wear mini skirts and slide in them, and exactly what this means in a social science sense, well that's another story. Requiring lipstick and short skirts was not meant to attract the female fan..."

Strange? I guess the eyes go along with the legs?
But, I have not seen a chorus line of Chippendales prancing along the sidelines lately to attract the female fan and I doubt the costumes of the cheerleaders' corps have been designed to appeal to him, her, or sign in please.
When the boys went "Over There," they took pictures of people like Betty Grable with them - not Clark Gable or Oscar Wilde.

"... Lindemann and Roone ... were directly related to the pros..."

Nonsense! One of five people in America (US version) are involved in industries related to the automobile. Would you say that the delivery man for the local auto parts store is directly related to General Motors? I doubt it.
Both Lindemann and Arledge had successful careers in television and ADDED to that success by taking advantage of football.

"... When was the first NFL game in color?.."

On November 25, 1965 (Thanksgiving Day), CBS featured the first-ever color broadcast of a regular-season NFL game, the traditional Thanksgiving Day game at Detroit. It was only the second time the network's first color mobile unit had been used (it had been used a month earlier to cover the attempted launch of an Atlas-Agena which was to have been the rendezvous target for the Gemini 6 space mission). Only a handful of games during the rest of the season were shown in color, along with the NFL Western Conference Playoff, the NFL Championship Game,[5] the Playoff Bowl and the Pro Bowl. In 1966, most of the network's NFL games were broadcast in color, and by 1968, all of the network's NFL telecasts were in color.

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/NFL_on_CBS

"... From 1958 to 1961 they (WOR) broadcast selected Philadelphia Phillies games, mostly those against the LA Dodgers or SF Giants..."

If you say so re the Dodgers and Giants...
However, the reason was that WOR was a New Jersey based station and felt the Philadelphia to New York "corridor" of New Jersey was not being properly serviced by New York and Philadelphia-based stations. (Actually, New Jersey has little else but that corridor that is of any import.)
So, the baseball broadcasts had little to do with baseball - just a shot at Phillie stations for doing a disservice to The Garden State.

#63 luckyshow
Starter
Forum Visitors
360 posts
Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:54 AM
<If you say so re the Dodgers and Giants>
History says so.
<So, the baseball broadcasts had little to do with baseball - just a shot at Phillie stations for doing a disservice to The Garden State.>
Except they only started after the Dodgers and Giants split completely (the Dodgers played a lot of homje games in Jersey City their last season). Never showing just when they'd played the Phillies. Television on a frequency such as channel 9 which I think already had their transmitter on the Empire State Building, would not really reach that many in the parts of New Jersey that were Phillies fans, except under good tropospheric conditions for DXing, random events due to weather conditions. They had been carrying baseball for some 8 years and while most New Yorkers hated that they left, some stayed fans until the Mets, some until this day if still around. Are there books on this period that state what you state? Obviously in mostly broadcasting games involving Phillies fans, this was one objective, but the coverage area is the NY SMSA, so mostly the part of New Jersey closer to Manhattan than the Philly market. Seems they stopped after they got the Mets in 1962. Not sure what else WOR broadcast. Mostly movies all day, and Claude Kirschner, with a kids program.

#64 Jeffrey Miller
Veteran
PFRA Member
756 posts
Interests:Buffalo Pro Football History
1920s NFL
1960s AFL
Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:43 AM
I'm late on this thread, but I have to comment on Thorpe ...

since this is the "Pro Football" Hall of Fame, Thorpe belongs for several reasons. Yes, he was the APFA's first "president" (quotes because it was in name only), and he was the league's greatest draw in the first year or two. But let's not forget that the Canton Bulldogs of the mid to late teens was a pro team--easily the most famous and successful pro team in the country. Their success and fame is to a great measure attributable to Jim Thorpe ...

As for Stagg, yes, quite an innovator, but remember that he was a rabid anti-professional crusader. Hard to justify putting someone who despised athletic professionalism into a "Pro" football shrine.

Edit: Luckyshow, sorry, I went back and re-read your message just now. Thought the discussion looped Stagg's name as relative to the HOF. Your points are very well made!

#65 luckyshow
Starter
Forum Visitors
360 posts
Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:12 PM
As to who broadcast who (does "whom" enter into that passage?). Well, it is even more complicated as in the following it is said that WPIX broadcast the baseball Giants home games in at least 1951. But everything else is sort of how I said. With added complexity:

That first broadcast and other early WOR-TV shows emanated from the New Amsterdam Roof Theatre, located west of Times Square. For a short time, the station's transmitter operated from WOR TV Tower in North Bergen, New Jersey and was later moved to the Empire State Building. In 1949, the station moved uptown to the newly constructed "9 Television Square" facility on West 67th Street (near the present-day location of WABC-TV (channel 7)

In 1953, WOR-TV began operating a separate studio for news and special events programming located on the 83rd floor of the Empire State Building

During the early years of RKO General ownership (from 1955), WOR-TV moved back to Times Square, and closer to its radio station sisters. Channel 9's studios were co-located with WOR radio at 1440 Broadway (near West 40th Street).

As an independent station, channel 9's schedule was heavy on sports programming. Early in its history, WOR-TV established itself as the home of National League baseball in New York, carrying Brooklyn Dodgers (beginning in 1950) and New York Giants games (beginning in 1951) until both teams moved to California following the 1957 season.

From 1958 to 1961, the station aired a limited schedule of Philadelphia Phillies games, consisting of matchups against the Dodgers and Giants.

The Dodgers had a history with television, involved in the first ever broadcast of a major league baseball game in 1939. On 1951 (still pre-red numbers) the Dodgers participated in the first color broadcast of an MLB game.

From "CenterField Shot: A History of Baseball on Television" by James R. Walker & Robert V. Bellamy:
" On October 1, 1951, CBS transmitted coast to coast the first game of the famed three-game playoff between the New York Giants and Brooklyn Dodgers. But it was not a simple operation. CBS got the game rights but needed to get the signal from ABC, which had already made arrangements for national distribution. ABC got the game coverage from WOR-TV, which had telecast the Dodgers' regular-season games. Rights to the second and third games were purchased by NBC from WPIX, which carried the Giants' home schedule. For the three playoff games, CBS and NBC shared the microwave relay connection across the United States and exchanged time to allow each network to carry its game(s) to conclusion" This was the first nationally televised sports event?

Later on there is this fun passage: "Coast-to-coast baseball continued with the 1951 World Series, produced by New York station, WOR=TV and telecast nationally on NBC. Variety was impressed with 'TV's Slick Performance' and particularly pleased that the Series was presented 'with a minimum of added frills.'"

How tastes have changed. This was well before Joe Buck, as well as such as those animated transformer robots and continual noise at stadiums and over the air. Only dirty words are elided now.

As to the Phillies, so far all I found was the following:
<Associated Press (December 6, 1958). "Phils Won't Pipe Games Here in '59". The New York Times. p. 29. "The Philadelphia Philles won't televise their National League games into New York City next season...The games were piped into New York, often in competition with the American League home games of the New York Yankees...The Phillies' contests were never able to match the audience attracted to Yankee telecasts.">

Also:
"With the move of the Brooklyn Dodgers and New York Giants to California prior to the 1958 season, the Phillies became the closest National League club to New York City, and in response, contracted to broadcast 78 games into the New York metropolitan television market to fill the void in National League games on TV in New York. Al Helfer and Rex Barney called the games for New York's WOR-TV"

78 Phillies games were supposed to be broadcast in 1968 which would be 42 more than they played against the Giants and Dodgers, but I don't know what actually was televised. I could check the listing in NY Times. But won't be doing that.

#66 luckyshow
Starter
Forum Visitors
360 posts
Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:47 PM
One more thing. Fenneman and Roone Arledge. I can't say much on the former, I keep thinking of the Fenneman for Lipton Ice Tea, the announcer on Groucho Marx' You Bet Your Life.

But Monday Night Football: without it, maybe the NFL doesn't get so big, or at least it would have maybe taken longer. It made prime time ready for the NFL, for football in general. The broadcasts, the announcers were talked about more than the games many times. It got women interested in larger numbers. Now the Super Bowl would have eventually covered all of this, probably, but not in 1970s. What did people talk about? Eventually it was SNL and MNF. And Arledge was a major force behind it. I don't know if this qualifies for HoF membership, but it is far different than Teddy Roosevelt, who had nothing to do with pro football.

I am certainly not putting forward that Yale player who was the first admitted amateur to take salary or payments to play. Nor Pete Gogolak who began the salary wars and raidings between leagues and led to the merger and NFL popularity explosion. Nor Namath for such reasons or even that his Super Bowl prediction, et al, made the Super Bowl of accelerated importance (which could just be the New York market Which makes me think how the Polo Grounds for 1934 championship, Yankee Stadium for 1958, and the Orange Bowl for the Jets win, should all be inducted for similar reasons. Can a stadium be inducted to the HoF?)

#67 BD Sullivan
All-Decade
Forum Visitors
3,625 posts
Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:45 PM
And yes, whether intended or not, admitting the Negro League era players could be a positive in terms of attendance, of attention, to Cooperstown. Probably doesn't stop the trend of which sports blacks are going into, though. No actual woman has a plaque, it is only an exhibit.
I bet the AFL had color first as it was on NBC, but maybe too late for that to matter
Incorrect: Effa Manley, co-owner of the Newark Bears is a full-fledged member of the Baseball HOF: http://baseballhall....hof/manley-effa

Correct: NBC showed all 1965 Jets home games in color, spurred on by the addition of Joe Namath

#68 Mark L. Ford
President PFRA
Administrators
1,144 posts
Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:15 M
That's fascinating stuff, B.D., and it's confirmed by the newspapers of October 31, 1965-- Denver at New York was indeed in color (the three Jets' home games before that were all on Saturday, when NBC showed college football instead of the AFL). The ESPN Pro Football Encyclopedia chose its words carefully, citing the Thanksgiving Day game as "the first NFL game broadcast in color", with no mention of the AFL broadcast in its chronology.

#69 oldecapecod 11
Veteran
PFRA Member
563 posts
Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:23 PM
BD Sullivan

Incorrect: Effa Manley, co-owner of the Newark Bears is a full-fledged member of the Baseball HOF:
http://baseballhall....hof/manley-effa

Unfortunately, this is correct.

This woman is the one referenced on the very first page of this thread.

That entire "selection" process was a sham and anyone who participated in it should hang their heads in shame. "Letters to the Editor" boxes across the nation were filled with protests - all, of course, to no avail.

In the opinions of some, this travesty made a mockery of everything Cooperstown is hoped to represent but, like so many other short-comings of the various halls of fame, it will soon be covered with the manure of purification.

Too bad !!! Most of the other Negro Leaguers of that class were truly deserving enshrines.

From Page 1

Baseball lost all credibility with its Negro Leagues' catch-up nonsense a few years back.

They created a "committee," allocated a few million for R&D, gave the chair to a white ex-comm, (That's c-o-m-m, not c-o-n.) and waited for results.

Each was given some of the R&D money and it was agreed that each would put forth the candidate of their choice and all would approve.

The result: In one case, the wife of an owner known for sleeping with the teams' players is now a bona fide hall of fame membress. (Her husband once traded a player enjoying her favors for a used bat and a pair of sliding pads - also used but no one knows by whom.)

MultiEdit
#70 John Grasso
Starter
Board of Directors
350 posts
Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:19 AM
A few comments regarding Paul's (Lucky Show) comments on early tv.
We got our first tv in August 1950 - a 16" Philco set that I still have although no longer watch.
I watched Yankee and Giant baseball games on WPIX - channel 11
but was unable to follow the Dodgers who were on WOR - channel 9 because our reception
of the channel had ghosts (duplicate images) probably because that station was transmitting
from New Jersey and we lived in Queens.

I vaguely remember the Yankees also being on the DuMont tv station - WABD - channel 5 in the
first year or two that I watched them (1950-51) but don't remember if they were on both channels
simultaneously - I think they were.

By the mid-1950s we no longer had ghosts on channel 9 but by then I was an avid Yankee and Giant fan
and seldom watched the Dodgers even though I could.

We had the World Series each year featuring one or more of our home teams and I believe it was
televised on NBC - channel 4 along with the local station that covered the teams but I could be mistaken
as to which stations televised the Series.

The Dodgers played seven games in Jersey City in 1956 and eight in 1957 and I believe most were televised
on channel 9. http://sabr.org/rese...ers-jersey-city

The season after the Dodgers and Giants left town channel 9 (former Dodgers station) televised some
Phillies' games and I vaguely remember channel 13 - WATV televising a few St. Louis Cardinals games.

In 1960 after Castro nationalized industries in Cuba the Havana Sugar Kings moved to Jersey City in July and
one of the NY stations (probably channel 9) televised some of Jersey City's games. One memory is that
in their very first game, the very first batter got hit with a pitch and had to be removed from the game.

Regarding Claude Kirchner - he was the ringmaster of ABC's Super Circus - I don't remember him on
WOR although he might have been.

#71 oldecapecod 11
Veteran
PFRA Member
563 posts
Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:46 AM
John Grasso

No doubt the reason you still have the Philco is because you can't get four guys together to carry it out. People in Queens never had to look up five or six stories to watch out for one of those old consoles to come crashing down.
On the bright side, if you happened to drop the telephone - even from the roof - you could splice the wires (There were only three.) and the thing would work just fine.

Are you sure the Giants were on Channel 11? I cannot remember that.
I do remember that Mel Allen would drink Ballantine on camera. How about THAT?
I also remember that I had to watch Ed Herlihy and the "Horn & Hardart Children's Hour" every Sunday after Mass.
Two of the parish kids were featured frequently and my Mother said it was an act of loyalty.

A New York fact:
I have heard many people say they are from Brooklyn or from The Bronx.
I have even heard people say they are from Queens or from Staten Island.
But, I have never, ever heard anyone from Yorkville say they were from Manhattan.

MultiEdit
#72 Mark L. Ford
President PFRA

Administrators

1,144 posts
Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:43 AM
>> But, I have never, ever heard anyone from Yorkville say they were from Manhattan.

Come to think of it, nobody from Harlem ever says that they grew up on Manhattan Island.... This thread must have set a record for most tangents veered off upon... we've talked about basketball, four USFL teams that might have gone to the NFL, the New York Brown Bombers, how Canadian football is different from the American version, Teddy "Ridiculous" Roosevelt, the new PFHOF Mission statement, the SEC, Gregg "Bountygate" Williams, gambling, Jim Thorpe, color TV, a visit to South Dakota, and New York geography... regarding the original topic, Damon Allen, either he didn't try for a a multi-million dollar contract because he was content with less than NFL rookie pay, never earning an annual salary of more 150,000 Canadian dollars-- or his superstardom was greatly exaggerated by Sports Illustrated. I tend to think it's the latter.

#73 oldecapecod 11
Veteran
PFRA Member
563 posts
Posted 06 April 2014 - 11:53 AM
Mark L. Ford
"... Harlem..."

And when they say "Harlem," they are being quite geographically specific. They do not mean "East Harlem" which is south of Yorkville and separated by "The Rio Grande," which is actually 96th Street - EAST 96th Street, that is.
And then there is "Spanish Harlem" and you can be sure it is not known for its roses. Whoever wrote that song had to be a tourist.

There are others too - some more colorful, some more descriptive: "Little Italy," "Hell's Kitchen," "Morningside Heights," "The Silk Stocking District," "The Village" (Greenwich, of course,) and "Wall Street" denoting far more than a thoroughfare and is the only area of the world where the opening bell affects every country on the planet. Putin may make a fool of Obama but he snaps to when the NYSE bell rings.
(Oh yeah! I forgot. NYSE is not in the code talkers translation manual. [There was NO dictionary, by the way.] NYSE = New York Stock Exchange.)

If someone says they are from Manhattan, it is kinda like saying they are from Iowa or Ottawa or South Chihuahua. Who cares?
It is a prideful thing - like "I survived Catholic school."

Manhattan Island? I have not seen those two words paired since we studied Peter Minuit in the 3rd-Grade.
Wow!!! Manhattan Island? I'll have to remember that.

"... most tangents..."

And, what, pray tell, can be wrong with that? It is the "off season" so everything is fair game.
Plus, it is a lot more fun than just listing the Canton facility's "mission statement" and pointing out what a farce it is.
Everyone already knows that.

#74 Jeremy Crowhurst
Starter
PFRA Member
323 posts
Posted 06 April 2014 - 11:58 AM
Mark L. Ford, on 06 Apr 2014 - 10:43 AM, said:
>> But, I have never, ever heard anyone from Yorkville say they were from Manhattan.

Come to think of it, nobody from Harlem ever says that they grew up on Manhattan Island.... This thread must have set a record for most tangents veered off upon... we've talked about basketball, four USFL teams that might have gone to the NFL, the New York Brown Bombers, how Canadian football is different from the American version, Teddy "Ridiculous" Roosevelt, the new PFHOF Mission statement, the SEC, Gregg "Bountygate" Williams, gambling, Jim Thorpe, color TV, a visit to South Dakota, and New York geography... regarding the original topic, Damon Allen, either he didn't try for a a multi-million dollar contract because he was content with less than NFL rookie pay, never earning an annual salary of more 150,000 Canadian dollars-- or his superstardom was greatly exaggerated by Sports Illustrated. I tend to think it's the latter.
Allen was making $300K even at age 42. You're way, way off on that one. CFL starting QBs have long been paid pretty well.

#75 BD Sullivan
All-Decade
Forum Visitors
3,625 posts
Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:02 PM
oldecapecod 11, on 05 Apr 2014 - 8:23 PM, said:
BD Sullivan

Incorrect: Effa Manley, co-owner of the Newark Bears is a full-fledged member of the Baseball HOF:
http://baseballhall....hof/manley-effa

Unfortunately, this is correct.

This woman is the one referenced on the very first page of this thread.

That entire "selection" process was a sham and anyone who participated in it should hang their heads in shame. "Letters to the Editor" boxes across the nation were filled with protests - all, of course, to no avail.

In the opinions of some, this travesty made a mockery of everything Cooperstown is hoped to represent but, like so many other short-comings of the various halls of fame, it will soon be covered with the manure of purification.

Too bad !!! Most of the other Negro Leaguers of that class were truly deserving enshrines.

From Page 1

Actually, the biggest complaint in this case was not the "catch-up" philosophy the committee decided upon, but the omission of one former player: Buck O'Neil, who had become an icon since Ken Burns' 1994 "Baseball" documentary. Of course, most of the people championing his cause likely had no clue who he was prior to 1994, but since he was such a gracious individual, that alone seemed to drive their push to get him enshrined.

Back to football: NBC's push for the AFL in color in 1965 was used by New York-area appliance stores as a way to push the sale of color TV's--which obviously would benefit the NBC/RCA bottom line. Of course, most of the color TV's for sale were still pricey, costing the 2014 equivalent of about $3,000.

#76 oldecapecod 11
Veteran
PFRA Member
563 posts
Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:53 PM
BD Sullivan
"... Buck O'Neil..."

You are sooo right. In fact, the thrust of the mail sent to various SEs was exactly that.
What a farce the entire process was in overlooking the single most deserving individual on the planet. I hesitated to name Buck - fearful of creating another tangent.

The baseball complex right up the road in Sarasota is named for him and I had the good fortune to be invited to a memorial service held there shortly after his death.

I must also admit that I was one of the letter writers - mine was to the "Kansas City Star" (I think.) and I cc'd the Cooperstown facility and a few other individuals.
Somewhere, I have the reply I received from the Sports Editor of the Star.
Not word-for-word, but she said: We (the Star) have written enough about Buck O'Neil and do not plan any additional comment.

Well, to steal a line from old Winnie: That is the type of journalism up with which we should not put.

There's a gal that deserves the Zeke Mowatt award for penal colonization.

"... color TV's..."

I believe the organization in the van of the appliance store push was E.J. Korvette?
(I could be wrong.)
The flagship of their fleet was a land-based facility on Manhattan Island.

(My apologies for any misspelling...)

MultiEdit
#77 Mark L. Ford
President PFRA
Administrators
1,144 posts
Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:39 PM
>>> Allen was making $300K even at age 42. You're way, way off on that one. CFL starting QBs have long been paid pretty well. <<<

I went by this figure in a 2005 San Diego newspaper story subtitled "At 42, Damon Allen playing as well as he ever has".
http://www.utsandieg..._1s16damon.html

Perhaps the reporter was way, way off as well. Can't blame it on the exchange rate, since the American dollar and Canadian dollar generally run close together, with Canadian dollar sometimes worth slightly more. Still, the statement that he would prefer to be a starter in Canada, rather than a backup in the NFL for more money, suggests that he was aware that he was Hamilton-worthy but not Canton-worthy.

#78 Teo
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member
1,107 posts
Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:04 PM
Mark L. Ford, on 06 Apr 2014 - 6:39 PM, said:
>>> Allen was making $300K even at age 42. You're way, way off on that one. CFL starting QBs have long been paid pretty well.

I went by this figure in a 2005 San Diego newspaper story subtitled "At 42, Damon Allen playing as well as he ever has".

Perhaps the reporter was way, way off as well. Can't blame it on the exchange rate, since the American dollar and Canadian dollar generally run close together, with Canadian dollar sometimes worth slightly more. Still, the statement that he would prefer to be a starter in Canada, rather than a backup in the NFL for more money, suggests that he was aware that he was Hamilton-worthy but not Canton-worthy.

I recall that Anthony Calvillo was offered an NFL contract by the Vikings in his CFL prime with Montreal, but he turned down because he would've been always a third-stringer in the NFL instead of an All-Star in Canada. Still, I recall that he would've earned more in the NFL as a backup.

#79 luckyshow
Starter
Forum Visitors
360 posts
Posted 07 April 2014 - 04:50 AM
Putin made a fool of the entire world. The UN, NATO, modern civilization. But exactly what do you suppose anyone could have done. A Putin, a megalomaniacal psychopath and sociopath, a deranged admirer of Czars and probably Stalin and Rasputin, would only be stopped by a war. Which would be enormous and devastating, either very long and drawn out or very quick in a tit for tat thermonuclear mess. Everyone was fooled, no one was fooled. Stop blaming Obama unless you have a solution he might have used.

Enough of that, all politicians are now on the take, or pawns. Useless sycophants and ciphers.

Manhattan doesn't need the word "island" after it, never has, not even when Peter Minuet was around. Few say they are from Manhattan for various reasons, but a large one is that at one time, New York City was just Manhattan and an increasingly growing amount of The Bronx. It was the city, the City of New York. Wall Street was a wall at one time long ago. Canal Street was a channeled stream, a sort of canal, though I forget if it actually bisected the island or had no outlet on the East River side. It became a sort of fetid sewer. Not sure why Yorkville was named such. Duke of York. The last Czech butcher closed a year or so ago, Paprika Weiss closed in the 1990s. I think most people in Queens actually say what neighborhood they live in. Flushing, Corona, Long Island City, Astoria, et al. Interesting that no section of Manhattan is called Bloomingdale.

We once had a Dumont TV, with a circular screen and the knob was a continuous dial, with a crank and no clicks. And a channel 1. You could get some FM after channel 6. It had no UHF.

125th Street is sort of an earthquake fault. There are Indian caves in Triton Park. There is a part of Manhattan which is not on any island. E.J. Korvette= Eight Jewish Korean Vets. Across from Gimbels.

Only one football team plays on the island of Manhattan now. (There, I've mentioned football)

#80 luckyshow
Starter
Forum Visitors
360 posts
Posted 07 April 2014 - 04:56 AM
By the way, that old Dumont TV was pretty small, almost a portable. Not heavy at all. 14" screen?

Page 4 of 5

oldecapecod 11

Page 5 of 5

91 replies to this topic

#81 oldecapecod 11
Veteran
PFRA Member
563 posts
Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:23 AM
luckyshow

"... Putin..."
Just be thankful he does not want an NFL franchise.

"... Peter Minuet..."
Was he a dancer? The fellow referenced was Peter M-I-N-U-I-T - a Walloon(?)

"... Queens..."
Most people from Queens do not admit it. You confuse them with Brooklynites unless you mean the group(s) from Greenwich?

"... Canal Street..."
a drainage ditch - no more, no less

"... Bloomingdale..."
New Jersey and Florida and perhaps others? Why a neighborhood in New York when Rowland's legacy was and is far greater than either of the B brothers?

"... Dumont..."
Did not everyone start with a Dumont TV?
We had an RCA radio which rivaled a refrigerator (Whoops! Ice Box) for size. The television was equally as large and had a "screen" about the size of a bread-and-butter plate. I don't remember the dial. I was not allowed to touch it.

"... Triton Park..."
Do you mean Fort Tryon Park?
There are also a couple of caves in the northwest corner of Central Park - that vast expanse of beauty and culture that divides east and west from 59th Street at the south to 110th Street at the north. There are towns in America (US version) that are smaller.
And, to keep on point, there are three or four FOOTBALL fields in the meadow area overlooked by Belvedere Castle.

"... E.J. Korvette..."
This chain was founded before the outbreak of the police action in Korea. The founder may have been a WWII vet - hardly Korea. The was never a store "across from Gimble's." Gimble's was on 34th Street - in the shadow of what was and remains Macy's. And, so that no one confuses the founder of that chain with Putin, the red star that is its logo represents a tattoo - no; not the military or musical version but the Polynesian type popular among FOOTBALL players and other athletes of today.

#82 luckyshow
Starter
Forum Visitors
360 posts
Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:25 AM
Yeah, Tryon. Sometimes I should go to sleep methinks.

Bloomgdale does not refer to the store. Broadway was once known as Bloomingdale's Road and a big chunk of the west side was Bloomingdale's Farm. Bloomingdale's Insane Asylum was where Columbia University was moved to and is today. Way back, even before when the Elysian Fields in Hoboken was the place to go for a park experience, before Central Park.
"north of 23rd Street and west of what is now Eighth Avenue was known as Bloomingdale and consisted of farms and villages along a road (regularized in 1703) known as the Bloomingdale Road. Bloomingdale Road was renamed The Boulevard in 1868"
"Bloomingdale was a large producer of tobacco at the beginning of the eighteenth century" "by the end of the Civil War, the area once named Bloemendal, or 'valley of flowers' was assimilated into New York City." That was Dutch. A small playground does exist named Bloomingdale, on Broadway on 104th. I think it is the vest pocket park with the memorial to the Strauss couple who lost their lives on the Titanic (and in continuing the department store theme, founded Abraham & Strauss, A&S...

Yes, I played football on the street. But where organized (sort of) football takes place is up at Baker's Field where Columbia plays, near Marble Hill. The area is, or was, known as Kingsbridge and is the northernmost part of Manhattan (which does continue on the other side, where Manhattan is on the mainland.
http://cooperator.co...daal/Page1.html

I meet people from Queens often. Some say they are in Queens, others use local names like Bayside, Elmont (which straddles the border), Ridgewood (a chunk of which requested and were allowed to change from Bushwick, Brooklyn, to Queens, in the 1920s), RArely is Blissville used anymore.

I may like to believe the myth about Korvettes and still say it was just north of Gimbels, but it was a while ago...but I never mix up Brooklyn with anything else. Even when part of it is called East New York, Canarsie or Gravesend.

The TV may have been called a Stromberg-Carlson. The size may be small in my memory, but the crank was real..

#83 luckyshow
Starter
Forum Visitors
360 posts
Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:29 AM
"possibly a reference to "Bloemendael," the name of a small village in the flower-growing region near Haarlem in the Netherlands"

#84 oldecapecod 11
Veteran
PFRA Member
563 posts
Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:29 PM
luckyshow
"... Straus..."

You have a wealth of information at your fingertips and my head is spinning trying to remember all these facts.

I am quite sure the Straus family did not found A&S - they bought it and replaced another name with "Straus."
Isadore and Ida were, indeed, among those lost in the Titanic sinking and were better known as the "owners" of Macy's rather than A&S.
They gave much and left much to the City of New York and much to the City of Brooklyn too before it was absorbed by New York.

That was a NFL-related action... merging with the AFL - its next biggest competitor.

We must be boring others to tears so I am going to say: you win.
Pick up the marbles. I will gladly duel again on other topics. New York is too close to my heart.

Attached Thumbnails

#85 Jeremy Crowhurst
Starter
PFRA Member
323 posts
Posted 07 April 2014 - 04:22 PM
Mark L. Ford, on 06 Apr 2014 - 6:39 PM, said:
>>> Allen was making $300K even at age 42. You're way, way off on that one. CFL starting QBs have long been paid pretty well. <<<

No question, Allen would have known his chances of success in the NFL were very limited. More than one CFL starter threw away his career by pursuing the more lucrative (per year, at least) NFL backup job. They'd come back here a year or two later to find their seat at the table had been given to someone else.

But the San Diego refers only to Allen's salary that year as $150K. A Winnipeg Free Press article has Allen at $300K that year, one of the lowest paid starting QB's that year. Certainly when Allen played here (Vancouver) he made that much or more, and the same in most of his other stops post 1998 or so.

Maybe the writer was factoring in our far more generous tax structure? Oh wait....
#86 luckyshow
Starter
Forum Visitors
360 posts
Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:16 AM
I hadn't known we'd had a competition. I hate I forget details like Straus' name and correct department store name.

There is a further connection. It either shows how New York is just a large small town, or that the "1%" was always the 1%, in a sense. The only surviving building from the Bloomingdale Mental Asylum where Columbia U. is now, is on campus, called La Maison Francais. It was built in 1880s as a donation by R.H. Macy, the founder of Macy's Department stores.

There is a second structure related to the old asylum, though from a related institution. It is a classic columned portico structure facing 110th in the St. John the Divine property, just south of the Cathedral. I think it still remains after the new constructions there. Last time I saw it, there were peacocks roaming about. St. John the Divine is a different sort of religious institution at such a significant magnificent landmark. Like a small Bohemian parish in a huge cathedral.

Even the football discussions inside this thread have veered from the original topic. Personally find these tangents interesting, even when I know nothing at all about the discussion beforehand.

I do have a clustered mess of randomized data insode my head, but I think I lost to you on technical points, I didn't even spell Straus correctly!

#87 oldecapecod 11
Veteran
PFRA Member
563 posts
Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:16 PM
luckyshow
"...Straus..."
Were it a waltz, it would matter. Trading a polite parry, it did not.

#88 oldecapecod 11
Veteran
PFRA Member
563 posts
Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:48 PM
Hmmm... stretching to find a point on the tangent that relates to football, let me just say. I am reminded of a Warner Bros. cartoon that was narrated by Elmer Fudd. Roger has always reminded me of Elmer.

#89 ohiofootball
Rookie
PFRA Member
2 posts
Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:31 PM
According to the 1963 Pro Football Hall of Fame program....it's the "Pro Football Hall of Fame", but listen to the HOF enshrines talk and they call it the NFL HOF. Either way it's a garbage HOF. If you are going to promote & preserve professional football lets start in 1903 with the Massillon Tigers and move forward where it all began in Ohio. Not to take anything way from the teams pre '03 in PA.

#90 JWL
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member
1,846 posts
Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:44 AM
NWebster, on 02 Apr 2014 - 6:57 PM, said:

It would have been nice if the Stars and Bulls were brought to the NFL. The Bulls had great uniforms. Those outfits are in my top five pro football uniforms of all time.

Baltimore was without a National Football League at the time. As the best USFL team, they would have been the perfect team to bring aboard.

The Renegades, Bandits, Showboats, and Stallions also had really good uniforms. The Express and Generals had very boring uniforms.

The Baltimore Stars could have joined the AFC Central. The Jacksonville Bulls could have been placed in the NFC West with the Falcons who would have been a natural rival.

By the way, the next NFL realignment needs to see the Jaguars, Buccaneers and Falcons in the same division. It will somewhat help with those teams' attendance issues.

#91 JWL
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member
1,846 posts
Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:00 AM
Jeremy Crowhurst, on 03 Apr 2014 - 01:30 AM, said:

There was not much of a chance for the reason you noted. It would have been great, though. I was seven when the final USFL game was played. I liked the USFL as much as I liked the NFL. I was too young to have a good understanding of the sport, but I liked watching. I was old enough to understand the USFL was not as big as the NFL and wasn't treated as being big by television and the media. I can recall watching a Gold home game and seeing a ton of empty seats. During that time period, I didn't see empty seats at Broncos games.

#92 JWL
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member
1,846 posts
Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:02 AM
Also, I am still waiting for the Jets to ever put together a regular season as strong as the one put together by the Generals when they went 14-4.

Page 5 of 5
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister