Experimental game at Lambeau

oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

ARCHIVE

Started by luckyshow, May 23 2014 03:45 AM
Experimental football game Lambeau Field Vince Lombardi Memorial Game St. Norbert Fordham University Fordham football

4 replies to this topic

#1 luckyshow
Starter
Forum Visitors
360 posts
Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:45 AM

In 1960 Lambeau Field was the host to a unique football experiment. Three local high schools (Green Bay East, West, and Premontre) all played each other in the same game. The game was played over six quarters and the schools alternated playing each other each quarter. You could call Green Bay West the winner of the unusual matchup. As they defeated East 7-6 and Premontre 13-0. East and Premontre tied 7-7.

This is a footnote in this article about college football at Lambeau Field (seems there have been three college games there)
http://www.footballg...-lambeau-field/

I guess this has been discussed here before, but I don't remember it...

#2 Citizen
Veteran
Forum Visitors
757 posts
Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:13 AM

This is the first I've heard of this. Interesting, thank you.

#3 Tod Maher
Veteran
PFRA Member
851 posts
Posted 23 May 2014 - 12:00 PM

The local high schools here (in Central California) used to do that right before the season - they called it a "jamboree."

#4 rhickok1109
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member
1,282 posts
Posted 23 May 2014 - 01:04 PM

The story misses an interesting tidbit: When Lombardi played at Fordham, his coach was "Sleepy Jim" Crowley, one of the Four Horsemen of Notre Dame. Before going to Notre Dame, Crowley played for my alma mater, Green Bay East High, where Curly Lambeau was his coach, and Lambeau was instrumental in steering Crowley to Notre Dame.

Crowley was known for his wit and he came up with one of my favorite sports-related lines. After Crowley made a mistake during practice, Rockne exploded and yelled, "Who's dumber than a dumb Irishman?"

"A smart Norwegian," Crowley replied.

#5 Guest_BigMck_*
Guests
Posted 23 May 2014 - 01:56 PM

In the 1970's there was a three team exhibition baseball game in Houston. The Astros, White Sox and Yankees played. It was supposed to be a double-header but one team dropped out. They decided to do this. The Astros played the White Sox for five innings. The White Sox played the Yankees for five innings and then the Astros and Yankees played five innings. If a team won a game by three runs and lost the other game by two runs their net was "Plus One". That is how they determined the winner by Net Runs. == It was told later that the White Sox left the stadium after they had lost their two games and the Astros-Yankees game had just started. A guy on the White Sox wondered since they had lost their two games if there was any way they could win the overall game. (DUH)
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister