Started by lastcat3, Dec 08 2013 03:23 PM

Page 1 of 3

48 replies to this topic

#1 lastcat3
Veteran
Forum Visitors
668 posts
Posted 08 December 2013 - 03:23 PM

What a disaster it would be if the northeast ends up getting a snow storm during super bowl weekend like the one that is currently going on in the Eagles/Lions game.

#2 Jeffrey Miller
Veteran
PFRA Member
756 posts
Interests:Buffalo Pro Football History
1920s NFL
1960s AFL
Posted 08 December 2013 - 03:41 PM

#3 BD Sullivan
All-Decade
Forum Visitors
3,625 posts
Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:06 PM

Jeffrey Miller, on 08 Dec 2013 - 3:41 PM, said:
It would make the Super Bowl an instant classic to be played in such weather ...

Everywhere but the losing team's city--that would unleash a torrent of "We would have won under normal conditions" rants.

#4 JWL
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member
1,846 posts
Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:29 PM

Why would it be a nightmare?

#5 MIKETOUHY
Starter
Forum Visitors
240 posts
Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:51 PM

Yeah.

That's a silly statement.

#6 lastcat3
Veteran
Forum Visitors
668 posts
Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:03 PM

I said it would be a nightmare because the super bowl has become as big as it is because a lot of casual nfl fans and even non football fans still watch it. I would think the ratings would take a nosedive once many people realized how boring the game was to watch. Not sure how important it is to the nfl for the Super Bowl to have huge ratings.

Also I think a lot of fans who spent all that money to go to the game would feel pretty ripped off. It might be considered a classic to a few. But to many I think it would just be a boring game (probably even more boring than all those one sided blowouts we saw during the nfc's reign of dominance).

#7 rhickok1109
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member
1,282 posts
Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:10 PM

lastcat3, on 08 Dec 2013 - 6:03 PM, said:
I said it would be a nightmare because the super bowl has become as big as it is because a lot of casual nfl fans and even non football fans still watch it. I would think the ratings would take a nosedive once many people realized how boring the game was to watch. Not sure how important it is to the nfl for the Super Bowl to have huge ratings.

Also I think a lot of fans who spent all that money to go to the game would feel pretty ripped off. It might be considered a classic to a few. But to many I think it would just be a boring game (probably even more boring than all those one sided blowouts we saw during the nfc's reign of dominance).
Let's see: A 98-yard kickoff return and 58-yard punt return for one team and touchdown runs of 57, 40, and 38 yards for the other team, which scored 28 points in the fourth quarter to win. Yep, games played in the snow sure are boring!

#8 lastcat3
Veteran
Forum Visitors
668 posts
Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:17 PM

#9 lastcat3
Veteran
Forum Visitors
668 posts
Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:19 PM

rhickok1109, on 08 Dec 2013 - 6:10 PM, said:
Let's see: A 98-yard kickoff return and 58-yard punt return for one team and touchdown runs of 57, 40, and 38 yards for the other team, which scored 28 points in the fourth quarter to win. Yep, games played in the snow sure are boring!

And the score was 8-0 at halftime. You think people are going to stay tuned into a game like that until the 4th quarter. And how often do you think a team will score 28 points in the 4th quarter in a snow game?

#10 JWL
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member
1,846 posts
Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:02 PM

lastcat3, on 08 Dec 2013 - 6:03 PM, said:

Non football fans watch the game because of commercials and they think it is cool to watch the Super Bowl. They will keep watching if there is snow. Snow will only help ratings.

#11 JuggernautJ
Starter
PFRA Member
322 posts
Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:12 PM

I understand where you're coming from ...cat.
I think it might lessen the experience for the casual fans... of whom there are millions.

As long as inclement weather is a once in a decade exception it might be a boon to the game (as something different)

#12 Rupert Patrick
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member
2,441 posts
Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:27 PM

rhickok1109, on 08 Dec 2013 - 6:10 PM, said:

And the game played in the snow in Baltimore had a record six lead changes in the fourth quarter, not to mention a near-repeat of the Cal-Stanford play (minus the band) at the end of the Pittsburgh-Miami game. I know that there have been winter storms in the past which affected numerous football games simultaneously, but has there ever been so many memorable snow or cold related games in a single day before? I cannot think of one.

#13 Jeffrey Miller
Veteran
PFRA Member
756 posts
1920s NFL
1960s AFL
Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:37 PM

I see the point he was trying to make, but some of the most historic games have been played in bad weather ... the sneakers game, the ice bowl, the tuck game, the philly blizzard (1948) ...

#14 lastcat3
Veteran
Forum Visitors
668 posts
Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:42 PM

I see the point he was trying to make, but some of the most historic games have been played in bad weather ... the sneakers game, the ice bowl, the tuck game, the philly blizzard (1948) ...

They may have been historic games. But do you think any of those were really that good of games. I know the ice bowl game and the tuck game were two pretty boring games. Most people couldn't give a hoot about how historic a game might be.

#15 JohnH19
Pro Bowler
Forum Visitors
1,356 posts
Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:44 PM

If the weather is extremely bad, and the conditions are 100% unplayable, the league will have no choice but to postpone.

If the weather is bad but playable, we could get a good game or we could get a clunker. The same results could happen in a dome or in San Diego.

#16 JWL
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member
1,846 posts
Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:46 PM

The Tuck Game was boring?

I haven't agreed with anything from lastcat3 in this thread.

#17 lastcat3
Veteran
Forum Visitors
668 posts
Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:26 PM

JWL, on 08 Dec 2013 - 9:46 PM, said:
The Tuck Game was boring?

I haven't agreed with anything from lastcat3 in this thread.

The Tuck game was very boring until the last few minutes. In my opinion just because a playoff game that comes down to the wire makes it historic it still does not make it good.

#18 luckyshow
Starter
Forum Visitors
360 posts
Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:38 PM

Why would there be a need for conformity in the viewership's expectations? The non-football fans in the viewing audience could give a crap about anything but beer and picking boxes to wager on. And the TV ads.

Even if it were another fog game, who would care? Football fans like such things. It is one reason some argue for somehow playing the SB at a home field. Conditions. This makes football. My only thought is why would the league and commissioner be for it? Bad weather would make them worry about players getting injured.

The Giants should get the groundskeeper to water the field down so it becomes a sheet of ice. Then supply sneakers.

This discussion is dumb. The people sitting in the seats know where it is being played. They paid for seats in an outdoor stadium in the swampland of New Jersey in January or February. So they should have no reason for any complaints.

You think that wimpy first half snowfall today was a blizzard? Do you live in Bermuda or something?

The Giants and Jets won't be in it, so I root for a big blizzard. It would be exciting. Aren't these real men playing this game? They get paid trillions to be sissies? Are they afraid of getting hurt? Normal old fashioned football injuries?

Real football fans would love a game in the snow. Denver against Seattle? Would poor Seattle be at a disadvantage? Too bad. Really. Should all SB games be played in Honolulu or inside a dome....? Just skip the game and play it out in Madden?

#19 JWL
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member
1,846 posts
Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:41 PM

I thought the whole Tuck Game was good. No team ever had a big lead.

Based on this thread, it appears you don't like defense. A one score game would turn you off. Just because you don't appreciate an 8-0 first half or a 16-13 type game does not mean it is boring.

One of the worst games I ever saw was the 38-31 Colts win over the Chiefs in the postseason.

#20 conace21
Pro Bowler
Forum Visitors
1,293 posts
Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:55 PM

I thought the Raiders-Patriots' playoff game was a pretty good game. The Raiders did jump out to a 10 point lead, but Brady immediately led New England down the field with short passes and ran in for a TD.

And while I didn't watch it, I've rarely heard the Ice Bowl described as "boring!" I certainly don't think of it that way. The whole game, not just the last few minutes.

Page 1 of 3

oldecapecod 11

Page 2 of 3

#21 SixtiesFan
Veteran
Forum Visitors
524 posts
Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:44 AM

conace21, on 08 Dec 2013 - 11:55 PM, said:
I thought the Raiders-Patriots' playoff game was a pretty good game. The Raiders did jump out to a 10 point lead, but Brady immediately led New England down the field with short passes and ran in for a TD.

And while I didn't watch it, I've rarely heard the Ice Bowl described as "boring!" I certainly don't think of it that way. The whole game, not just the last few minutes.

I saw the Ice Bowl on TV and it wasn't boring.

#22 Ken Crippen
Administrator
Root Admin
979 posts
Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:09 AM

As a former Buffalo Bills season ticket holder, I had no trouble sitting in the stands for freezing rain/snow games.

I sat in the nice, cozy seats of the Superdome for Super Bowl XXIV. It was boring as hell.

I loved watching the snow games yesterday and I have always enjoyed watching snow games. If you are too delicate to be out in the cold, don't go to an outdoor game in New Jersey in February.

#23 Mark L. Ford
President PFRA
Administrators
1,144 posts
Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:12 AM

Ken Crippen, on 09 Dec 2013 - 08:09 AM, said:
If you are too delicate to be out in the cold, don't go to an outdoor game in New Jersey in February.

In all fairness, fans attending the Super Bowl will probably be outdoors twice as long as they would be in an ordinary game.

#24 MIKETOUHY
Starter
Forum Visitors
240 posts
Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:33 AM

Who cares about the non-football fans.

#25 Ken Crippen
Administrator
Root Admin
979 posts
Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:42 AM

Mark L. Ford, on 09 Dec 2013 - 09:12 AM, said:
In all fairness, fans attending the Super Bowl will probably be outdoors twice as long as they would be in an ordinary game.

Depends on how long you tailgate.

#26 97Den98
Pro Bowler
Forum Visitors
1,056 posts
Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:03 AM

Ken Crippen, on 09 Dec 2013 - 10:42 AM, said:
Depends on how long you tailgate.

I think he's talking about the long pre-game ceremonies, halftime show, and the fans of the winning team being in the stands to see their team get the trophy on the field.

#27 Ken Crippen
Administrator
Root Admin
979 posts
Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:27 AM

97Den98, on 09 Dec 2013 - 11:03 AM, said:
I think he's talking about the long pre-game ceremonies, halftime show, and the fans of the winning team being in the stands to see their team get the trophy on the field.

I knew exactly what he meant. However, if you are tailgating for five or six hours hours in the cold, an extra hour to 1.5 hours watching pre-game/post-game stuff and a longer halftime show really is not going to make much of a difference.

You are also referring to fans. Actual fans would handle the weather. The gist of the original post was about accommodating the non-fans or the occasional football watcher.

#28 luckyshow
Starter
Forum Visitors
360 posts
Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:14 PM

I still have no idea why anyone would have a scintilla of concern for non-fans or occasional fans who either know they have a ticket for a game in New Jersey in February and that New Jersey can get cold in February and it could snow, sleet, who knows what...If they don't I have a few bridges they might want to buy and move to Podunk.

As for home viewers, those occasional viewers and rare football watchers...are we still trying to entice new football fans as way back when when theatrics in the booth were required to get them interested? They go to Super Bowl parties as a sort of holiday event, hang out in the kitchen, over eat, over drink, rate TV ads, boo the half time show if a football fan doesn't change the channel to watch Lingerie football or something What if they played flag football in the Florida Keys. Great weather, no one gets hurt.

#29 Jeffrey Miller
Veteran
PFRA Member
756 posts
1920s NFL
1960s AFL
Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:23 PM

I hear a lot of fans (and even non-fan or casual fans) saying they remember where they were or that they were at that game when discussing those historic weather-addled games. Those who braved the elements and sat through the Ice Bowl will always have a compelling story to tell ...

#30 ronfitch
Starter
Forum Visitors
477 posts
Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:45 PM

MIKETOUHY, on 09 Dec 2013 - 10:33 AM, said:
Who cares about the non-football fans.

Agreed - they'll be watching regardless for the commercials and halftime circus, being told by the rest of us to watch for RBIs and high sticking in the second half as they pass a beer over.

#31 rhickok1109
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member
1,282 posts
Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:07 PM

Maybe some of the non-fans will opt not to go, making seats available for some real fans. The Super Bowl has become a game for non-fans and maybe playing it in colder climes will help to change that.

#32 MIKETOUHY
Starter
Forum Visitors
240 posts
Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:00 PM

Great idea.

#33 Jay Z
Starter
Forum Visitors
483 posts
Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:34 PM

Ken Crippen, on 09 Dec 2013 - 08:09 AM, said:
As a former Buffalo Bills season ticket holder, I had no trouble sitting in the stands for freezing rain/snow games.

I sat in the nice, cozy seats of the Superdome for Super Bowl XXIV. It was boring as hell.

I loved watching the snow games yesterday and I have always enjoyed watching snow games. If you are too delicate to be out in the cold, don't go to an outdoor game in New Jersey in February.

I'm from Wisconsin, so I am familiar with cold weather. I wouldn't care to attend a really cold game that is mostly played at night. It's probably mostly psychological, but being outside in the cold at night is more depressing than the daytime. At least during the day, if it's cold the sun will be out.

NYC is more temperate than Wisconsin, so hopefully the temperature will be bearable. Snow/sleet would be fine with me.

#34 TouchdownTimmy
Starter
Forum Visitors
326 posts
Interests:Almost anything to do with football and sports on the field. I am not big into celebrity or social media. I just like watching and talking about sports. Football is my game and I have been following since I was five back in 1971.
Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:12 AM

Of course, we are football fans. We will watch. My dream Super Bowl would be played in a crappy stadium like "The Mistake by the Lake" on grass with some weather between two strong defensive teams.

I don't think the game itself would be affected much, but the pageantry would. I don't watch the pregame and sleep through halftime so that won't bother me.

As for a low scoring game being boring, Super Bowl XLII is one of my favorites as the Giants and Patriots put on a defensive stuggle that made every possession count. I think its one of the best Super Bowls of all time and it ended 17-14. I know that history was at stake, but doubt if too many people turned it off when the score was 7-3 at the end of the third quarter.

Somewhere the people in Canada must be laughing their heads off at us.

#35 rhickok1109
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member
1,282 posts
Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:26 AM

lastcat3, on 08 Dec 2013 - 6:19 PM, said:
And the score was 8-0 at halftime. You think people are going to stay tuned into a game like that until the 4th quarter. And how often do you think a team will score 28 points in the 4th quarter in a snow game?

About as often as an 8-0 score at halftime

#36 JohnH19
Pro Bowler
Forum Visitors
1,356 posts
Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:35 PM

SixtiesFan, on 09 Dec 2013 - 12:44 AM, said:
I saw the Ice Bowl on TV and it wasn't boring.

The Ice Bowl was almost certainly one of the five greatest games in NFL history. No one has ever referred to it as anything remotely close to boring.

Playing outdoors adds character and substance to a game. Playing indoors lends an aura of sterility to the atmosphere.

It's crazy, however, that the game is still going to be an evening start. The NFL decision makers should grow a pair and do the right thing with an early afternoon kick off.

#37 rhickok1109
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member
1,282 posts
Posted 10 December 2013 - 05:13 PM

JohnH19, on 10 Dec 2013 - 12:35 PM, said:
The Ice Bowl was almost certainly one of the five greatest games in NFL history. No one has ever referred to it as anything remotely close to boring.

Playing outdoors adds character and substance to a game. Playing indoors lends an aura of sterility to the atmosphere.

It's crazy, however, that the game is still going to be an evening start. The NFL decision makers should grow a pair and do the right thing with an early afternoon kick off.
I agree with you, but networks want big ratings in prime time.

#38 Sicklajoie
Rookie
Forum Visitors
17 posts
Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:42 PM

What was the last SB played entirely in the daylight? Raiders/Vikings Super Bowl XI?

#39 TouchdownTimmy
Starter
Forum Visitors
326 posts
Interests:Almost anything to do with football and sports on the field. I am not big into celebrity or social media. I just like watching and talking about sports. Football is my game and I have been following since I was five back in 1971.
Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:06 PM

Sicklajoie, on 10 Dec 2013 - 6:42 PM, said:
What was the last SB played entirely in the daylight? Raiders/Vikings Super Bowl XI?

Yes

#40 luckyshow
Starter
Forum Visitors
360 posts
Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:00 AM

I have always marveled at how sometimes 75,000 or so would watch a 0-0 (college) game at Yankee Stadium, perhaps, and the next day's reports were glowing, the fans were not disappointed. Also how if a team got beat something like 75-0, the loser would be praised for whatever they possibly did right at some point. For keeping the score under 90. For getting a few first downs at some point. For their line play or their punter. But always this was true, or most times.

Fans have changed and obviously the "journalists." I don't have any theories on this.

Page 2 of 3

oldecapecod 11

Page 3 of 3

#41 JohnH19
Pro Bowler
Forum Visitors
1,356 posts
Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:27 AM

rhickok1109, on 10 Dec 2013 - 5:13 PM, said:
I agree with you, but networks want big ratings in prime time.

Ralph, I wonder how much different the ratings would be for a SB in the afternoon or evening.

#42 rhickok1109
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member
1,282 posts
Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:40 AM

JohnH19, on 11 Dec 2013 - 10:27 AM, said:
Ralph, I wonder how much different the ratings would be for a SB in the afternoon or evening.

It's not the ratings, it's prime time, for which the networks get much more money. A rating of 35 in prime time is much better than a rating of 50 before prime time kicks in.

#43 JohnH19
Pro Bowler
Forum Visitors
1,356 posts
Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:15 PM

My mistake; I said ratings but I meant number of viewers. Wouldn't the SB get similar numbers in the afternoon as it would get in the evening? I'm thinking yes.

#44 Rupert Patrick
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member
2,441 posts
Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:48 PM

I was watching Sportscenter last night and Rick Reilly did a segment about the Super Bowl in which he said the NFL has contingency plans to play the Super Bowl either the day before or the day after if the greater New York area gets hammered with a blizzard the day of the game.

#45 rhickok1109
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member
1,282 posts
Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:55 PM

JohnH19, on 11 Dec 2013 - 5:15 PM, said:
My mistake; I said ratings but I meant number of viewers. Wouldn't the SB get similar numbers in the afternoon as it would get in the evening? I'm thinking yes.

The same principle applies: A viewer in prime time is worth considerably more than a viewer in the afternoon.

#46 JohnH19
Pro Bowler
Forum Visitors
1,356 posts
Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:40 PM

rhickok1109, on 11 Dec 2013 - 6:55 PM, said:
The same principle applies: A viewer in prime time is worth considerably more than a viewer in the afternoon.

That would certainly apply on a non-holiday weekday but on Super Bowl Sunday?

#47 PowderedH2O
Starter
Forum Visitors
152 posts
Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:59 PM

I can see it now... a scoreless game with almost no time left in a massive snowstorm. Nobody can even see the yard lines. Then, just before the kick, a prisoner on a work furlough gets a snow plow and plows the line for the Patriots' kicker to attempt the game winning field goal...

#48 RebelX24
Starter
Forum Visitors
186 posts
Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:02 PM

I, for one, am immensely excited about what this game might bring. If it's a success (and somehow, I think it will be), it would seem that there'd be far fewer geographical restrictions for the Super Bowl going forward. You'd still have to wonder about the chances for places like Denver, I suppose, but maybe the NFL will even try those types of possibilities eventually. Baby steps...

#49 Mark L. Ford
President PFRA
Administrators
1,144 posts
Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:05 PM

Rupert Patrick, on 11 Dec 2013 - 5:48 PM, said:
I was watching Sportscenter last night and Rick Reilly did a segment about the Super Bowl in which he said the NFL has contingency plans to play the Super Bowl either the day before or the day after if the greater New York area gets hammered with a blizzard the day of the game.

Luckily, blizzards don't happen very often, and it's been about three years since a game was postponed by one. I imagine that the game won't be interrupted by something less (heavy snow, for example), and I tend to agree with Rebel that it would give chances for other cities to host. If it snows during a halftime show, Janet Jackson might have to wear several layers of clothing.

Page 3 of 3
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister