No conversion kicks or FG tries in a game
Started by Marble_Eye, Dec 08 2013 04:38 PM

12 replies to this topic

#1 Marble_Eye
Starter
Forum Visitors
117 posts
Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:38 PM
In today's Philadelphia Eagles - Detroit Lions match up from Philadelphia. so far there has only been 1 kick attempt for score, an extra point attempt by David Akers of the Eagles that was blocked.

Has there ever been a game since say the 1942 scoreless tie, that has had no kicks attempted for score? (As I write this its 22-20 Philly and all conversions have been 2 pointers so far except for the 1 try for point that was blocked. There have been no Field Goal Attempts.)

======================================================

Game ended 34-20 Philly. All 2 point conversion tries but one (which was blocked). No FG tries at all.

Is this a record for most TD in a game w/o a one point conversion kick made? Is it a record for ratio of fewest tries attempted to touchdowns scored? (8 TD total in game with just one XP kick, which was blocked. All other tries were 2 point conversion plays.) Has there ever been a game with no kick tries for conversion or FG?

#2 Rupert Patrick
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member
2,441 posts
Posted 08 December 2013 - 05:51 PM

I was watching that game and I think that is one of the most compelling games of the season. I imagine the conditions of the game were similar to the 1948 NFL Championship game. Checking the ole Record and Fact Book, there was no record for most yards rushing in a quarter by one team, but I would have to think the Eagles (who rushed for over 220 yards in the fourth quarter) may have set an NFL record. McCoy broke Steve Van Buren's franchise rushing mark for a single game, including two long TD runs. Also, there were the punt and kickoff return TD's by Jeremy Ross, the first Lion to do that since Eddie Payton in 1977. And Nick Foles threw his first interception of the season. This was certainly the best snow game since the Tuck Rule game.

#3 Marble_Eye
Starter
Forum Visitors
117 posts
Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:36 PM

Rupert Patrick, on 08 Dec 2013 - 5:51 PM, said:
I was watching that game and I think that is one of the most compelling games of the season. I imagine the conditions of the game were similar to the 1948 NFL Championship game. Checking the ole Record and Fact Book, there was no record for most yards rushing in a quarter by one team, but I would have to think the Eagles (who rushed for over 220 yards in the fourth quarter) may have set an NFL record. McCoy broke Steve Van Buren's franchise rushing mark for a single game, including two long TD runs. Also, there were the punt and kickoff return TD's by Jeremy Ross, the first Lion to do that since Eddie Payton in 1977. And Nick Foles threw his first interception of the season. This was certainly the best snow game since the Tuck Rule game.

Yes, its funny how the game wound up being exciting. When I saw the driving snow in the 1st quarter. my first thought was "this might be the first scoreless tie since 1942" and I decided to stay with it on the off chance I would see history. It really wound up being an exciting and very odd game all at once. The snow let up a lot late, had it kept driving down like it was early both teams may have done next to nothing.

#4 Rupert Patrick
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member
2,441 posts
Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:46 PM

Marble_Eye, on 08 Dec 2013 - 7:36 PM, said:
Yes, its funny how the game wound up being exciting. When I saw the driving snow in the 1st quarter. my first thought was "this might be the first scoreless tie since 1942" and I decided to stay with it on the off chance I would see history. It really wound up being an exciting and very odd game all at once. The snow let up a lot late, had it kept driving down like it was early both teams may have done next to nothing.

This turned out to be the best slate of games of any week of the season, so far. Between the Baltimore game that came down to the final ten seconds, the wild finishes in Pittsburgh and New England and San Francisco, it was a great Sunday for Football.

#5 John Grasso
Starter
Board of Directors
350 posts
Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:20 PM

Don't they have snowplows in Philadelphia? I'm surprised that they let the snow accumulate
and no attempt to plow the field was made at halftime.
I still don't understand how they could gain so many yards running through snow that deep.
One of the more memorable games in NFL history.

#6 JWL
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member
1,846 posts
Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:00 PM

John Grasso, on 08 Dec 2013 - 10:20 PM, said:
Don't they have snowplows in Philadelphia? I'm surprised that they let the snow accumulate
and no attempt to plow the field was made at halftime.
I still don't understand how they could gain so many yards running through snow that deep.
One of the more memorable games in NFL history.

It was the type of snow that is easiest to walk and run through. It was also coming down throughout the game and therefore there probably wasn't much of a slush issue.

#7 JWL
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member
1,846 posts
Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:01 PM
Double post

#8 Reaser
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member
1,729 posts
Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:50 AM

Great day of football, the snow games were awesome. Side note, CBS broadcast their snow games much better than FOX, who insisted on superimposing yard lines which looked dumb all game but really was an annoyance for the first quarter of the Lions-Eagles game when players would literally disappear or become half invisible 'behind' the yard lines, which were over top the players. Best part of snow games is football in the snow, I don't need half the screen/field covered in graphics.

Under normal conditions I can live with the first down line, but I still don't like it because I don't like fake things on the screen/field, plus I'm not an idiot but I guess some people can't see the sticks or when it's 3rd and 3 can't count to 3 . . .

#9 luckyshow
Starter
Forum Visitors
360 posts
Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:24 PM

We live in a Getting Dumber Every Day society, so they are not only wedded to cluttering up the screens with yada yada, but are not adept enough at thinking about how silly the lines look over the snow and that they should use real production skills. Hell, they use that unprofessional technique all the time of on-the air praising of their producers and directors and editors. But when it comes time to think, I guess those at CBS know what makes good television and good football television and Fox doesn't. I mean when will they finally get rid of the stale, tired violent transformer robot cartoons they use? How dated is that, not to mention constantly annoying?

#10 Marble_Eye
Starter
Forum Visitors
117 posts
Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:19 PM

This was the first game since a 1957 Pittsburgh - Philadelphia game that ended 6-0 with no successful kicks for score. Earl Morrall threw a 2nd Quarter 35 yard TD pass to Ray Mathews in this one. It stood up for the only score of the game. All pro football reference.com says about the PAT try is "kick failed". I am still wondering if there has ever been a game with no attempted kicks for score at all. I would think there has been back in the early days when scoreless ties were more common than they have been since 1942. (none at all in the NFL lol) There was only 1 in this Lions-Eagles matchup.

#11 PowderedH2O
Starter
Forum Visitors
152 posts
Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:26 PM

Oddly enough, this past Friday night I went to a state championship football game here in North Carolina. My wife and I are both teachers, and her school was in the game. The opposing team scored first, and went for two and was successful. We scored next and went for two and failed. Then later scored again and again failed a two point conversion. They scored next and failed on their two point conversion. Then, our team scored a TD with a minute left, and once again, failed a two point conversion. Final score was 18-14, with no field goals or extra points attempted whatsoever.

#12 John Grasso
Starter
Board of Directors
350 posts
Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:51 AM

PowderedH2O, on 17 Dec 2013 - 12:26 PM, said:
Oddly enough, this past Friday night I went to a state championship football game here in North Carolina. My wife and I are both teachers, and her school was in the game. The opposing team scored first, and went for two and was successful. We scored next and went for two and failed. Then later scored again and again failed a two point conversion. They scored next and failed on their two point conversion. Then, our team scored a TD with a minute left, and once again, failed a two point conversion. Final score was 18-14, with no field goals or extra points attempted whatsoever.

When I was in high school in the 1950s many schools did not have place kickers and it was common
for them to run or pass for the extra point even when it was only worth one point. Actually at one
game at my alma mater, Flushing HS in the early 1960s, they kicked a field goal and that was
a big deal at the time since a field goal in high school football was a rarity.

#13 Reaser
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member
1,729 posts
Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:34 PM

John Grasso, on 18 Dec 2013 - 08:51 AM, said:
When I was in high school in the 1950s many schools did not have place kickers and it was common
for them to run or pass for the extra point even when it was only worth one point. Actually at one
game at my alma mater, Flushing HS in the early 1960s, they kicked a field goal and that was
a big deal at the time since a field goal in high school football was a rarity.

In both my youth and middle school league here - and it's still this way - kicking the PAT is worth 2 points while running/passing it in is worth 1. So it's reversed. Always bugged me, though no one ever kicks/kicked.

Similar to the State Championship story above, saw the same in one of the six State Championship games from WA, both teams went for two every time and no FG's were attempted, final score was 36-18, though to provide all the info, the team with 18 scored their last TD on the last play of the game and no PAT was attempted at all.
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister