Question from public-- 1926-27 Semipro Pontiac MI football team
Started by Mark L. Ford, Dec 10 2013 09:15 AM
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mark L. Ford
President PFRA
Administrators
1,144 posts
Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:15 AM

We received a question from the public about a photo of a semi-pro football team that played in Pontiac, Michigan, fifty years before the Lions were at the Silverdome.

"Hi There,
What can you tell me about this team? (please see attached photo)
My uncle, Jim Dawson, and my cousin both have this clipping.
It was in the “Memories” section of the Pontiac Daily Leader on March 23, 1970 on page 5.
Roy Dawson, the owner, is my grandfather. My uncle was only 8-9 years old when this picture was taken.
My uncle turns 95 on December 16 and has often wondered about this team his dad owned, and how long they played, and what became of the team.
I have had no luck in researching on the internet over the years and came across your website.
Do you have any information or know who might? I would love to solve the mystery for my uncle.

Thanks,
Denise Dawson"

I'll see if I can forward the photo. The oddity about this is that the members of the team, called the "Pontiac Businessmen" had the names of businesses on their jerseys, instead of numbers.

#2 rhickok1109
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member
1,282 posts
Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:17 AM

It needs a login.

#3 Mark L. Ford
President PFRA
Administrators
1,144 posts
Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:24 AM

Thanks-- I'm afraid that my computer knowledge is limited to 1970s Fortran typed it on punchcards.

#4 luckyshow
Starter
Forum Visitors
360 posts
Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:18 AM

It's far easier than it was, really. Graphic interface (GUI), so no need for most users to use code like Fortran or Cobalt. It's pretty much like putting together a table from IKEA, actually easier. You would need a scanner. But copy stores like PIP will do it for you, put it on a CD and your local library will allow you access to computers and explain how you can use the CD to send the file (the image) here. No need for punch cards or giant folding print-out paper or an air conditioned room the size of a gym to house the computer. No 3/4 inch magnetic tape. Nor flashing buttons like in the future on Star Trek...

#5 rhickok1109
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member
1,282 posts
Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:04 AM

luckyshow, on 11 Dec 2013 - 01:18 AM, said:
It's far easier than it was, really. Graphic interface (GUI), so no need for most users to use code like Fortran or Cobalt. It's pretty much like putting together a table from IKEA, actually easier. You would need a scanner. But copy stores like PIP will do it for you, put it on a CD and your local library will allow you access to computers and explain how you can use the CD to send the file (the image) here. No need for punch cards or giant folding print-out paper or an air conditioned room the size of a gym to house the computer. No 3/4 inch magnetic tape. Nor flashing buttons like in the future on Star Trek...

And no exploding monitors, as in any number of bad movies

#6 luckyshow
Starter
Forum Visitors
360 posts
Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:00 PM

The funniest thing is movies from the past 20 years or so. If they include tech just to be supposedly up to date, it seems so dated now. Similar to how today when you see history analogized, such as what in Lincoln's time were similar to tweeting or social media. It not only all seems strained but in 10 years it will all seem dated and silly.

I tried finding any mention of this team. Not enough old newspapers from the area, sorry..

#7 Mark L. Ford
President PFRA
Administrators
1,144 posts
Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:18 PM

I wasn't able to find anything either. Even Pontiac High School only got occasional mentions in the newspapers I saw. Thanks, everyone, for looking.

#8 Roy Sye
Veteran
Administrators
47 posts
Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:39 AM

The team in question was from Pontiac Illinois, which is about 100 miles sw of downtown Chicago.

Pontiac, IL, like many teams in that era, fielded teams sponsored by local merchants.

In the local paper, the HS team was the Pontiac Indians, while the semi-pro team was referred to as the Pontiac Independents.

My research show the Independents playing in 1927 and 1928, finishing 3-3-2 in 1927, beating Pontiac AS, Forrest, Chanute Field Aviators, losing to Peoria Fans(twice), Cabery, tying Streator and Bloomington.

In 1928, the Independents faired better, finishing 6-3-0. Starting off 6-0 in beating Cullom, Peoria Fans(twice), Canton, LaSalle, Joliet. Stepping in the competition, they lost to Bloomington, Bushnell and Joliet.

I don't see any games after 1928.

Interesting, starting in 1931, the State Reformatory Prison (in Pontiac), played about 5 games a year (all HOME games!!!) until 1933 when the program was dropped. Other prison teams of that era were Statesville in Joliet IL, and of course, Sing Sing in NY, which routinely received national exposure in the sports pages, usually featuring inmate Alabama PItts, who after "graduating" from Sing Sing, had a cup of coffee with the Philadelphia Eagles, then played minor league baseball, then died in a bar room brawl.
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister