FXFL (Carryover from October 11)

Mark L. Ford

FXFL (Carryover from October 11)

Post by Mark L. Ford »

Conversation carried over from yesterday, October 11. Some of these were re-arranged, in case someone had been replying to a post earlier in the thread

FXFL
#1 Started by Reaser, Oct 08 2014 07:29 PM Reaser
Anyone else watching the inaugural game?

Thoughts?

The main "pro" for me is the same reason I watch every play of every preseason game and same reason I liked the WLAF/NFLE, get to see players play, known players, such as Vidal Hazelton in this game.

Other pro is that it's football and it's on TV.

Negative I guess would be that the league likely won't last, since if the NFL ever thinks an in-season "minor league" is a good idea, they'd likely start their own and run it themselves as opposed to partnering with someone. In that case, I'de just prefer a return of a NFL backed spring league, basically WLAF but with only U.S. teams.

Though profits are important, the sport must take precedence over the business

#2 FXFL: post #2 Tod Maher
Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:15 PM
They players are such nobodies and even the teams don't know who they are - thus lack of player names on the uniforms.

#3 FXFL: post #3 Reaser
Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:32 PM
Definitely looks like they went cheap on uniforms. I wouldn't agree that the players are nobodies. Think every football fan knows Tajh Boyd.

Suppose it would depend on how much football one watches, some of what I'de imagine to be the more known college names that I've seen in this game: Vidal Hazelton (USC/Cinci), Emmanuel Moody (Florida), Alonzo Highsmith (Miami) and Jordan Jefferson (LSU) ...

and anyone who has seen even just one FCS game in the past couple years would know Brock Jensen (Bison, he only was the QB of the 3-time National Champions) and Timothy Flanders (Sam Houston St.) . . .

#8 FXFL: post #8 Tod Maher
Posted 09 October 2014 - 11:58 AM
Reaser, on 08 Oct 2014 - 9:32 PM, said:

Believe it or not I have never heard of Tajh Boyd. I had to look him up in my database - OK there he is. He was drafted in the sixth round by the Jets (their fourth pick in that round) and cut.
I have never watched a FCS game. Except for brief glimpses flipping through the channels, I don't watch college games.

#4 FXFL: post #4 oldecapecod 11
Posted 08 October 2014 - 09:03 PM
Matt, there are very, very few - if any - people here who know anywhere near the number of players you do.
It's not the NFL and it never will be.

But some day, when any of those guys has their great-grandson on his knee, he won't have to say "I used to watch those guys play."
Instead, he can say "There Junior, number 13, that's your old great-granddad."

Some of the old tunes are best: Bless Them All

#5 FXFL: post #5 Reaser
Posted 08 October 2014 - 09:20 PM
>>oldecapecod 11, on 08 Oct 2014 - 10:03 PM, said:
It's not the NFL and it never will be.<<

Oh, for sure. I'm not an apologist for low level 'pro' football. Players are players though, and if I can watch LaDarius Perkins (Mississippi State) run with the ball again then I'm happy to watch it.

Exactly on the years from now aspect also. Take Perkins for example, if he doesn't get (back) to the NFL he'll still be able to say he was a star High School player, a starting RB in the SEC, played in the preseason in the NFL, and played in this developmental league.

#6 FXFL: post #6 rhickok1109
Posted 09 October 2014 - 07:56 AM
The Packers just signed Jordan McCray of the FXFL to their practice squad.

#7 FXFL: post #7 Mark L. Ford
Posted 09 October 2014 - 08:12 AM
Wow, I missed this completely (though I don't get ESPN3, so I would have missed it completely anyway). I'm all in favor of any league that gives players a paying job. For those like I, who had never heard of the FXFL, this is the skip the videos, just the facts ma'am version:

https://en.wikipedia...Football_League

#13 FXFL: post #13 Reaser
I watched it on SportsNet New York, and it was on other regional sports networks. So the games on are TV also, depending on what sports channels you get.

#9 FXFL: post #9 NWebster
Posted 09 October 2014 - 04:12 PM
Given the number of people who watch College Football and the number of BCS conference players who don't make an NFL roster I think a second league could work. And id love it to be in the Spring, boy I miss the USFL. To me the obvious problem with the USFL was that after the first year of losses the owners couldn't stomach the negative cash flow and expanded too soon (to acquire new franchise fees) watering down the product. It seems that 1) a frank assessment of the initial start up costs and first few years' financials, and 2) a better initial screening of the initial ownership base (ensuring the pockets were VERY) deep, would solve this. I mean really the AFL made it due to Texas and New York Oil money (Hunt and then later Hess). Those guys had money to burn and resisted over expansion early.

Further, the quality of he NFL would improve with a feeder league, provided there wasn't a Donald Trump style bidding war. We could have been deprived of Kurt Warner, Michael Sinclar (that ones for you Reaser), Tracey Simien, even your Gary Clark's, etc weren't "stolen" from the NFL but developed in other leagues. Also, you breed coaches. Jim Mora's USFL success meant we got to hear the best ever NFL post game press conferences. Competition makes things better, that's kinda what this countries whole economy is founded on, no?

#10 FXFL: post #10 Reaser
Posted 09 October 2014 - 04:26 PM

NWebster, on 09 Oct 2014 - 5:12 PM, said:
Michael Sinclar (that ones for you Reaser)
Sacramento Surge. Have my 1992 World Bowl Champions shirt in my closest (from when I was a kid, definitely does not fit now but I couldn't get rid of it) ... Still have my Surge magnet on my mini-fridge, too.

Sinclair was my guy.

I don't necessarily think there needs to be competition but a NFL backed spring league (again), yes! Always floors me when people go off about the 'bad' quality of WLAF/NFLE when they clearly never watched the league and/or that it didn't develop players (or "only" developed Warner) showing that they definitely don't know the numerous players that went on to the NFL. James Harrison, Fred Jackson, Vinatieri, etc ... to name 3 quick ones that are still in the NFL, years after NFLE shut down . . .

#15 FXFL: post #15 NWebster (IP: 70.195.198.7)
Veteran
. .

Tracey Simien, Anthony (Ace) Parker , there were plenty. The quality was fine to me.

#11 FXFL: post #11 John Grasso
Posted 09 October 2014 - 06:28 PM
There is a spring league - it's known as Arena Football

#12 FXFL: post #12 JWL
Posted 09 October 2014 - 06:47 PM
Funky Xylophonist Football League?

#14 FXFL: post #14 Reaser
Terrible league name. What's funny is during the broadcast the announcers had issues saying "FXFL" and one kept saying a jumbled version of "FXL"
oldecapecod11

Re: FXFL (Carryover from October 11)

Post by oldecapecod11 »

ACTUAL SEQUENCE OF POSTS IN THREAD

MISSING POST
#13 Reaser
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member
1,729 posts
Posted 09 October 2014 - 07:50 PM

ALSO MISSING
Mark L. Ford, on 09 Oct 2014 - 09:12 AM, said:
Wow, I missed this completely (though I don't get ESPN3, so I would have missed it completely anyway)
I watched it on SportsNet New York, and it was on other regional sports networks. So the games on are TV also, depending on what sports channels you get.

#14 Reaser
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member
1,729 posts
Posted 09 October 2014 - 08:02 PM

JWL, on 09 Oct 2014 - 7:47 PM, said:
Funky Xylophonist Football League?

Terrible league name. What's funny is during the broadcast the announcers had issues saying "FXFL" and one kept saying a jumbled version of "FXL"

MISSING POST
#15 NWebster
Veteran
Forum Visitors
796 posts
Interests:Defensive FB Stats, Special Teams Performances, Heavy Metal Music, Fitness
Posted Yesterday, 09:59 PM

ALSO MISSING
Reaser, on 09 Oct 2014 - 5:26 PM, said:
Sacramento Surge. Have my 1992 World Bowl Champions shirt in my closest (from when I was a kid, definitely does not fit now but I couldn't get rid of it) ... Still have my Surge magnet on my mini-fridge, too.
Sinclair was my guy.

I don't necessarily think there needs to be competition but a NFL backed spring league (again), yes! Always floors me when people go off about the 'bad' quality of WLAF/NFLE when they clearly never watched the league and/or that it didn't develop players (or "only" developed Warner) showing that they definitely don't know the numerous players that went on to the NFL. James Harrison, Fred Jackson, Vinatieri, etc ... to name 3 quick ones that are still in the NFL, years after NFLE shut down ...
Tracey Simien, Anthony (Ace) Parker , there were plenty. The quality was fine to me.

Professional Football Researchers Association
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

HERE IT IS.

ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS "POST" AT THE END OF A THREAD MARKED "ARCHIVE" AND IT WILL CONTINUE AS THIS HAS DONE.

SOOO SIMPLE...

YOU CAN TREAT THEM JUST AS YOU WOULD HAVE DONE IN THE OLD FORUM.

Yet another new league (FXFL)
by fgoodwin » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:02 pm
Latest Fledgling League Gives Players Another Run at the N.F.L.

by Reaser » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:34 pm
We had a discussion going on the FXFL before the old forums closed, here is the continuation of it on our new forums;
Reaser

by fgoodwin » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:48 pm
Ooops, sorry about that. Can the mods "merge" the two threads?
~ Arnie Weinmeister
oldecapecod11

Post by oldecapecod11 »

THIS POST IS JUST ANOTHER "BUMP" TO MAKE THIS A MORE CURRENT THREAD THAN THE OTHER ONE.
~ Arnie Weinmeister