The Pressure on Place Kickers

Brian wolf

Re: The Pressure on Place Kickers

Post by Brian wolf »

Vinatieri will be eligible for the HOF in 2025 ... He obviously wont be first ballot but how long will he wait before election? Will he be voted in before Hester or Lechler?
shig

Post by shig »

Brian wolf wrote:Vinatieri will be eligible for the HOF in 2025 ... He obviously wont be first ballot but how long will he wait before election? Will he be voted in before Hester or Lechler?
I could see him being a first rounder, BUT I think Hester should have been too. Who knows what they're doing when it comes to special teams? Steve Tasker just sits there and I think it's ridiculous. I'm sure when Matthew Slater's time comes he'll hae to wait forever.... although, seeing as how his dad is HoFer , maybe he gets in so they have a fun father/ son story.
Cali_Eagle

Post by Cali_Eagle »

GameBeforeTheMoney wrote: Guys like Lou Groza, Gino Cappelletti, Bob Waterfield and Paul Hornung are just incredible to me. Jerry Kramer kicked for GB as well in the 62 Championship. Bert Rechichar, I could go on for days. But especially amazing are guys like Cappelletti or Hornung, who might score a 50-yard TD and then kick the extra point right afterward.

Also amazing are guys like Sammy Baugh and Yale Lary on the punting end of things.

I'm not sure if McFadden's issues might not have been much different than a hitting slump in baseball. It's just a lot more visible in the NFL when so much hangs on kicks in close games. These guys have to make a lot of kicks to get to the NFL. Plus, there are always weather factors - cold weather can be especially difficult I've heard.
So who WAS the last regular position player to also be the regular kicker? Same thing with punting? Was there ever a soccer-style kicker that was also a teams regular at a position?
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Cali_Eagle wrote:
1. So who WAS the last regular position player to also be the regular kicker?

2. Same thing with punting?

3. Was there ever a soccer-style kicker that was also a teams regular at a position?
1. Jim O'Brien, I'd say...

2. Danny White

3. No.
shig

Post by shig »

Cali_Eagle wrote:
So who WAS the last regular position player to also be the regular kicker? Same thing with punting?
I realize these don't answer the questions, but John Elway punted 7 times, and Randall Cunningham punted 20. Randadll's included an 80 yarder and the 3rd longest in history at 91 yards.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Was George Blanda the last position player to be his team's regular PK? His last year was 1975, when he tossed 3 or 4 passes. But of course, he wasn't Oakland's regular QB.

K-WR Jim O'Brien finished his career with '73 Lions, filling in for Errol Mann while also catching the occasional pass. In fact, he had his final reception a week or two after his final placement (a missed FG).
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

RichardBak wrote:Was George Blanda the last position player to be his team's regular PK? His last year was 1975, when he tossed 3 or 4 passes. But of course, he wasn't Oakland's regular QB.

K-WR Jim O'Brien finished his career with '73 Lions, filling in for Errol Mann while also catching the occasional pass. In fact, he had his final reception a week or two after his final placement (a missed FG).
Blanda is my go to guess also.

Of course, we can't forget Flutie's dropkick!

I went to stathead and did a search on field goals made by non-kickers from 1976 on = super surprising answers and I somehow don't remember any of them happening.

Tony Galbreath hit 2 FGs in 3 attempts and made an extra point in a game against the Packers in 1979. He made an extra point in 1978.

Also in 1979, Packers linebacker John Anderson made a field goal and an extra point against the Jets. I remember those Packer teams had a lot of problems with kicking, but I didn't remember Anderson kicking.

Chris Miller kicked a field goal for the Falcons against the 49ers in 1989 - does anybody remember that one? That was the Falcons only points in a 45-3 thumping.

And then, craziest of all crazy - in 2004, Wes Welker as a rookie for the Dolphins, kicked a field goal and an extra point against the Patriots. He also had five kick returns and five punt returns. So, he kicked off AND returned kicks in the same game! I don't remember that. Guessing that Belichick remembered it, though. Welker was also credited for a tackle for loss in the game, but I couldn't find it in the play-by-play. Welker didn't have any receptions that year but he did kick an extra point against the Browns in 2010.

Here is the Dolphins vs Patriots box score:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 100nwe.htm
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
Sonny9

Post by Sonny9 »

2. Tommy Tupa
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

RichardBak wrote:Was George Blanda the last position player to be his team's regular PK? His last year was 1975, when he tossed 3 or 4 passes. But of course, he wasn't Oakland's regular QB.

I was going by someone who was a regular starter . . . but others can have different criteria, of course,

O'Brien started 8 games at WR in 1972, starting the majority of games at wikde receiver. . . White was the starting QB. But if someone wants to allow for one being a backup player...then Blanda would be it ... and Tupa as someone else mentioned.

Before O'Brien Wayne Walker, Lou Michael were starters, Studstill and others punted while also starting.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

JohnTurney wrote:
Cali_Eagle wrote:
1. So who WAS the last regular position player to also be the regular kicker?

2. Same thing with punting?

3. Was there ever a soccer-style kicker that was also a teams regular at a position?
1. Jim O'Brien, I'd say...

2. Danny White

3. No.
Jim Fraser of the Broncos was a soccer style kicker and a regular at a position. So he answers the question. Now Fraser was not the regular kicker, he just kicked occasionally.