Larry Csonka

LeonardRachiele

Larry Csonka

Post by LeonardRachiele »

The best two grind-it-out straight-ahead performances in the Super Bowl were from Larry Csonka.   Csonka was Miami Dolphins' top runner in their dynasty days of 71 to 73.  Miami lost to Dallas in Super Bowl VI 24 to 3 but won the next two.  Csonka was a powerful strong halfback that did not try to fake, outmaneuver, or go laterally.  Defensive lineman are too agile so many feel the best route is the "at them" run.  In both games of these games, they were correct.

Super Bowl 7 at Los Angeles.  Miami 14 Washington Redskins 7
Bob Greise was 8 for 11 passing for 88 yards and one touchdown.  Csonka carried 15 times for 112 yards.  With the Dolphins gaining 253 total yards, Csonka accounted for 44% of the Miami offense.

Super Bowl 8 at Houston.  Miami 24 Minnesota Viking 7
Bob Greise was 6 for 7 passing for 77 yards.  Csonka carried 35 times for 145 yards.  With the Dolphins gaining 259 total yards, Csonka accounted for 56% of the Miami offense.    

After the 1973 season, the NFL decided that defense was overly dominating, making for rather dull games. I will discuss the rules changes after both 1973 and 1993 later.
TanksAndSpartans

Re: Larry Csonka

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Csonka was a fullback. The Dolphins were also on the other end of one of those grind-it-out straight-ahead performances:

SB XVII: John Riggins was 38-166 with a 43 yard TD. The 166 was 41.5% of his team's offensive yardage.

A few others I think qualify:

SB III: Matt Snell was 30-121 with a TD accounting for 36% of his team's offensive yardage. But, if you throw in his 4 receptions, that number goes up to 48%.

But, my two personal favorites:

1948 NFL Championship: Steve Van Buren was 26-98 with a TD, 42% of his team's offensive yardage.

1949 NFL Championship: Steve Van Buren was 31-196, 57% of his team's offensive yardage.
slats7

Post by slats7 »

Csonka in his prime; Butkus in his prime. Both have a full head of steam. Who survives the collision?
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

slats7 wrote:Csonka in his prime; Butkus in his prime. Both have a full head of steam. Who survives the collision?
Neither?
Irresistible force vs Immovable object... I think the world is torn asunder by the paradox...
;)
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

We once had Booker Edgerson speak at one of our western New York PFRA annual meetings. He was talking about the John Rauch era of Bills head coach. How he was terrible, player morale was low, etc. So he mentioned a game vs. the Dolphins from that era in which Csonka was coming straight at him with a full head of steam. Instead of actually attempting to make a tackle, he just fell down... on purpose. This play came up during film review over the next few days. Rauch paused it and asked... "Booker! What in the world were you doing right here?!". His response... "Coach. I was getting the f**k out of the way!". :lol: