Hall of Very Good Election Results

Andy Piascik

Hall of Very Good Election Results

Post by Andy Piascik »

Based on the recent vote of the PFRA membership, Clay Matthews, Jr., Lionel Taylor, Mark Gastineau, Bucko Kilroy, Mark Bavaro, Bert Jones, Matt Blair and Keith Jackson have been elected to the Hall of Very Good. A total of 142 PFRA members submitted ballots, the highest total ever, and the threshold for election was 79 votes, up to a maximum of ten electees. Here are the vote totals for the 20 finalists:

Clay Matthews 122
Lionel Taylor 105
Mark Gastineau 92
Bucko Kilroy 88
Mark Bavaro 86
Bert Jones 85
Matt Blair 82
Keith Jackson 81
Marvin Powell 77
Leon Gray 73
Mike Stratton 72
Earl Faison 70
Les Bingaman 64
Butch Byrd 63
Peggy Parratt 55
Buster Ramsey 54
Keith Millard 50
George Christensen 45
Ray Bray 31
Charley Brock 25
Brian wolf

Re: Hall of Very Good Election Results

Post by Brian wolf »

Congratulations to the recent Inductees!

Still hard to believe that Christensen hasnt been voted in.

I am on the fence about Bert Jones but agree his career would have been much better had he stayed healthy. The team probably would have stayed in Baltimore as well. One of the best "What If" stories of all time.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Andy Piascik wrote: Clay Matthews
Lionel Taylor
Mark Gastineau
Bucko Kilroy
Mark Bavaro
Bert Jones
Matt Blair
Keith Jackson
Pretty good ballplayers on this list
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

JohnTurney wrote:Pretty good ballplayers on this list
No, you're thinking of the HOPG. That election won't occur until early next year, I think.
JohnTurney

Well played, sir

Post by JohnTurney »

Bob Gill wrote:
JohnTurney wrote:Pretty good ballplayers on this list
No, you're thinking of the HOPG. That election won't occur until early next year, I think.
I know many here disagree with me, but it's a shame Clay Matthews didn't get in...he was one of those
who didn't have all the "Alls" - the post-season honors that one might want for HOF, but to me he was
a 'film guy' who just played a variety things well. Played the run, could cover in man or zone and could
rush the passer with hand in dirt, which he did for years but only on 3rd and long.

anyway, off the soapbox.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

If any player deserves to be considered for the HOF despite an injury-shortened career its Mark Bavaro. His case may not be as unique as Gayle Sayers, Terrell Davis, Ken Easley or Sterling Sharpe in terms of dominance-before injuries but he was as close as any tight end that I can think of. Its indisputable that when he was in the line-up, the Giants were a much better team than without him and Simms was way more effective. The numbers may not say otherwise but as a blocker-receiver, not to mention value in the postseason, Bavaro has his own unique case.
racepug

Post by racepug »

Brian wolf wrote:If any player deserves to be considered for the HOF despite an injury-shortened career its Mark Bavaro. His case may not be as unique as Gayle Sayers, Terrell Davis, Ken Easley or Sterling Sharpe in terms of dominance-before injuries but he was as close as any tight end that I can think of. Its indisputable that when he was in the line-up, the Giants were a much better team than without him and Simms was way more effective. The numbers may not say otherwise but as a blocker-receiver, not to mention value in the postseason, Bavaro has his own unique case.
I agree. On one of the NFL "Top Ten" shows I once saw a guy denigrate Mark Bavaro, stating that the only reason Mark Bavaro ever got any press was because he played in New York. Nothing could be further from the truth. Mark Bavaro was a beast. Great player. The Rob Gronkowski of his era.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

racepug wrote:
Brian wolf wrote:If any player deserves to be considered for the HOF despite an injury-shortened career its Mark Bavaro. His case may not be as unique as Gayle Sayers, Terrell Davis, Ken Easley or Sterling Sharpe in terms of dominance-before injuries but he was as close as any tight end that I can think of. Its indisputable that when he was in the line-up, the Giants were a much better team than without him and Simms was way more effective. The numbers may not say otherwise but as a blocker-receiver, not to mention value in the postseason, Bavaro has his own unique case.
I agree. On one of the NFL "Top Ten" shows I once saw a guy denigrate Mark Bavaro, stating that the only reason Mark Bavaro ever got any press was because he played in New York. Nothing could be further from the truth. Mark Bavaro was a beast. Great player. The Rob Gronkowski of his era.
Pretty much, and he didn't exactly play in an air it out offense either...still put up impressive numbers and was an absolute bulldozer when he had a head of steam in the secondary. Wasn't as big or agile as Gronk...but for that era yes he was the ultimate intimidating battering ram. And one that didn't have a huge ego or try and hog the spotlight...humble players
racepug

Post by racepug »

sheajets wrote:Pretty much, and he didn't exactly play in an air it out offense either...still put up impressive numbers
One person I know (a fan of both Los Gigantes and the Jets) e-mailed me just the other day that he believes it can be reasonably argued that Mark Bavaro was Phil Simms' best receiving option.
sheajets wrote:and was an absolute bulldozer when he had a head of steam in the secondary.. .but for that era yes he was the ultimate intimidating battering ram.
I still remember that famous play when he dragged 6 or 7 49ers defenders - including Ronnie Lott! - down the field on a pass reception. He simply would NOT go down!
sheajets wrote:Wasn't as big or agile as Gronk...
Someone - might've even been someone on this forum - once informed me that Mark Bavaro was willing to take on the likes of even All-World DE Reggie White in his blocking responsibilities. To me that speaks volumes.
sheajets wrote:And one that didn't have a huge ego or try and hog the spotlight
That is for sure! I remember from another NFL Films production a clip of his (then-)head coach Bill Parcells making a comment (during a team practice, I think) something to the effect of: "I tell you what - Mark doesn't say much but I sure wouldn't want to meet him in a dark alley!"
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

During Simms career, which I believe is worthy of the HOF, especially coming back from early 1980s injuries and adversity, he spread the ball around to a variety of runners, receivers and tight ends.

Earnest Gray was his primary receiver before Bavaro and had a 1000 yrd season in 1983 but was gone before the Giants SB year. He was tall and could make some plays but could drop passes as well.

Lionel Manuel was thin and tough for Simms, who could make some big plays as well but also go stretches without catching anything. He had one 1000 yrd season but mostly averaged around 600 yards receiving per year, not exactly Tony Hill or Harold Carmichael.

Bobby Johnson was another target when Bavaro arrived but was also inconsistent but showed flashes of potential, yet was gone by 1987.

Steven Baker along with Bavaro helped revitalize the Giants passing game later in the eighties with help from Mark Ingram as well. Neither receiver were anywhere close to prolific.

Though Mowatt and later Cross would help the Giants at TE, Don Hasselbeck was a mentor to Bavaro and a tough blocker who fathered a good QB in Matt.

Tony Galbreath was the Giants best pass-receiving back but the arrival of Dave Meggett in 1989, gave the Giants a true shot-in-the-arm offensively that helped win their SB in 1990. Bavaro recovered from a 1989 injury and was a true factor in the postseason but his knee was shot in the following training camp.

Bavaro blocked everybody, and rendered Cornelius Bennett, who many feel is HOF worthy, to a non-factor in the SB against Buffalo. I would like to see how he did against Haley in that great championship game in SF but need to study the game again. He was always effective against Reggie White and Richard Dent, when he lined to their sides ...