1958 Giants v. Browns regular season finale

LeonardRachiele

Re: 1958 Giants v. Browns regular season finale

Post by LeonardRachiele »

Sonny9 wrote:
Bryan wrote:
LeonardRachiele wrote:The Giants with a late season rally had a 8-3 record. They were one game behind the 9-2 Cleveland Browns. A tie would have given Cleveland the title. Earlier in the season the Giants had defeated the Browns 21 to 17.
Interesting story, Leonard. You are correct about the tie giving Cleveland the title, which IMO makes Paul Brown's play calling even more suspect. The fake FG at the end of the third period was ridiculous. Brown had 26 carries, but he probably should have had more. Lew Carpenter had 8 carries for 9 yards and a costly fumble that led to NY's first FG. Jim Brown was put in to return the final kick of the game and got 35 yards. Bobby Mitchell returned 1 punt for 34 yards. I think Cleveland had the players to win, but they were underutilized.
Mitchell had 75 carries and 14 catches the first seven games. The last 5 games he had 5 carries and 2 catches. Injury or Paul Brown?
Thank you for reading my post. In 1957, the Giants lost both games to the Browns. Then came the 3 in 1958, 2 in 1959, and the first game of 1960. I'll talk about this later. The 2nd game in 1959 was a 48 to 7 win over the Browns in Week 12 . I guess it's obvious that I was rooting for New York. One other thing. Yankee Stadium is by far the most known baseball facility. It's importance to Pro Football makes it the best known stadium for this sport as well. Major milestones :

1956 NFL Championship Game...Giants defeated the Chicago Bears 47 to 7. This was the first game where fans noted the importance of Defense. The fans at Yankee Stadium cheered for the defense every time these guys game off the field. Prior to this game all known stars were on offense and the Signature Team was the Los Angeles Rams. They had stars like Tom Fears, Norman Van Brocklin, Woody Strode, and Bob Waterfield. Now came the Giants doing commercials for Hagger Slacks, Vitalis not that greasy kid stuff, Marlboro cigarettes, and many others.

Of course, 1958 with the Sudden Death title game was the really big year.