Bryan

Re: Trivia of the obscure

Post by Bryan »

Jay Z wrote:Marlin Briscoe?
Correct!
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

At the end of the 1983 season, two players held single-season rushing records for multiple franchises. Name the two players who achieved this feat.
Bob Gill

Post by Bob Gill »

Bryan wrote:At the end of the 1983 season, two players held single-season rushing records for multiple franchises. Name the two players who achieved this feat.
Good question. I'd say one of them is John Riggins -- Jets and Redskins.

A few minutes later: Not sure of this one, but I'd bet on Chuck Muncie -- Saints and Chargers.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Bob Gill wrote:
Bryan wrote:At the end of the 1983 season, two players held single-season rushing records for multiple franchises. Name the two players who achieved this feat.
Good question. I'd say one of them is John Riggins -- Jets and Redskins.

A few minutes later: Not sure of this one, but I'd bet on Chuck Muncie -- Saints and Chargers.
Riggins is one of the players. Muncie is incorrect, though.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

Delvin Williams?
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Jay Z wrote:Delvin Williams?
Correct!

This next one is one of the most bizarre 'factoids' I've ever come across....it makes no sense on multiple levels.

"Hi! I was the regular punter for 5 years for the team that drafted me. I was then released and picked up by a different team. Despite having the 6th best punting average in the NFL, my new team released me in midseason and I never played again in the NFL. Amazingly, I had an 80+ yard punt in EACH of my last two games. Who am I?"
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Bryan wrote:
Correct!

This next one is one of the most bizarre 'factoids' I've ever come across....it makes no sense on multiple levels.

"Hi! I was the regular punter for 5 years for the team that drafted me. I was then released and picked up by a different team. Despite having the 6th best punting average in the NFL, my new team released me in midseason and I never played again in the NFL. Amazingly, I had an 80+ yard punt in EACH of my last two games. Who am I?"
Luke Prestridge. He was drafted by Denver in 1979 and played for them until 1983. In 1984 he played for the Patriots the first nine games in place of Rich Camarillo (Did Camarillo was injured?). In week 10 Camarillo replaced Prestridge. It's interesting that he didn't play even in the USFL in 1985, he also went to the Pro Bowl and was an All-Pro in 1982.

UPDATE: Yes, Camarillo was injured in the preseason and they traded for Prestridge: https://www.upi.com/Archives/1984/08/20 ... 461822400/
Sonny9

Post by Sonny9 »

Teo wrote:
Bryan wrote:
Correct!

Luke Prestridge. He was drafted by Denver in 1979 and played for them until 1983. In 1984 he played for the Patriots the first nine games in place of Rich Camarillo (Did Camarillo was injured?). In week 10 Camarillo replaced Prestridge. It's interesting that he didn't play even in the USFL in 1985, he also went to the Pro Bowl and was an All-Pro in 1982.

UPDATE: Yes, Camarillo was injured in the preseason and they traded for Prestridge: https://www.upi.com/Archives/1984/08/20 ... 461822400/
In the 60's The Broncos Scarpitto and Frazier led the league in punt average. Since then only Prestridge in '82 and Rouen in '99 have done it for Denver. I would think with the thin air they'd have more punters that led the league
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Teo wrote:Luke Prestridge. He was drafted by Denver in 1979 and played for them until 1983. In 1984 he played for the Patriots the first nine games in place of Rich Camarillo (Did Camarillo was injured?). In week 10 Camarillo replaced Prestridge. It's interesting that he didn't play even in the USFL in 1985, he also went to the Pro Bowl and was an All-Pro in 1982.

Yes, it is weird to me that Prestridge's best punts were in New England, and not in Denver. Also, its weird that no one picked up Prestridge either in 1984 or 1985. You had guys like Jeff Hayes consistently squibbing 30 yard punts, and then when the Bengals need a punter they acquire...Jeff Hayes. The Bears were trying to contend for the title with a kicking battery of Dave Finzer and Bob Thomas. You had a lot of below average punters in the mid-80's, so you'd think that Prestridge would have gotten another shot.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

New question: this team entered Week 14 of the season with a 4-9 record...yet were still in contention to win their division! Name the team (and the season).