VIKINGS vs Colts SBXLIV?

74_75_78_79_

VIKINGS vs Colts SBXLIV?

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Though I know that this very hypothetical has been discussed here on this site, I wasn't completely sure if this very thread was ever posted. Upon research, I see that it wasn't.

What a Super Bowl match-up this would have been! And it was very close to happening. IMO, it would have been even closer than the actual event which took place. A much bigger, and more interesting, contrast-in-styles as well.

First off, you got FAVRE-vs-PEYTON! Two HOF QBs that were both vital reasons for they making it there in the first place, both likely play great games, but each prone to a possible costly late-game-INT. Vikings would, of course, have Adrian Peterson as opposed to Joseph Addai; and Minny sure had the better defense (and Colts didn't have Marvin Harrison anymore). Better chess-player between Jim Caldwell and Brad Childress? Jim would clearly get the nod with me.

It would seem to me that Minnesota would have the overall edge here. But then something tells me, not so fast. Do I subconsciously think that Favre would be more-likely to make the more-costly INT than Peyton? Is it Caldwell being the better enough HC than Brad? Or would AP and that Viking-D, along with Favre still playing a great game otherwise, all have been enough to hoist up the 'Vince' at end-of-day? I guess I lean toward the latter but oh so slightly.

Out of the three Viking teams ('87, '98, '09) that came close to winning the NFCCG but no cigar, 1987 to me (though the weakest-link of the trio) would have had the significantly easiest time/opponent in their respective hypo-SB. But I feel that '09 would have a better chance vs the Colts than '98 would have against Denver.

Thoughts?
Brian wolf

Re: VIKINGS vs Colts SBXLIV?

Post by Brian wolf »

That loss to the Saints still rankles me. Being a Favre fan, the Vikings still should have won despite the officials letting the Saints "bounty hit" on every series. A champion overcomes every obstacle but Peterson's fumbles became contagious and the Vikings blew it as bad as the 1998 game. What was worse was the Viking radio announcer who cried and ranted like a spoiled child, instead of being objective and professional. I realize team broadcasters are homers but this guy was ridiculous.

Would the team have beaten the Colts ? Hard to speculate. At the time I felt had Peterson made the SB, he would have redeemed himself and played alot better but Manning probably would have thrown through that Viking defense as well. Its easy to suggest conspiracy for a Saints championship but they won it fair and square but a Viking-Colt SB would have been exciting as well ...
74_75_78_79_

Re: VIKINGS vs Colts SBXLIV?

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Yes, I really should have considered AP's fumble-issues. That may have been problematic. Just one could do the damage vs Peyton & Co (as Mendenhalll's would do one year later vs the Pack). Also, if #8 doesn't throw that costly one just before regulation ended, and Vikes win by a FG as they should have, we likely would have seen a real beat-up version of him. Would the two-weeks have been enough recovery time? And the Caldwell being a noticeably-enough better HC than Childress keeps popping up as well.

Yes, it's even tougher to assume what happens thinking of it some more. Still think they'd have a better shot vs Indy (if, however, barely) than '98 would have vs Denver (Broncos simply win IMO; #30 keeping Moss/Carter off the field, for starters).