The 25 best teams to miss the playoffs 1978 to 2019

Mark

Re: The 25 best teams to miss the playoffs 1978 to 2019

Post by Mark »

In addition to blowing leads and losing in the first and last games of 1979 the Redskins also blew 20 point 4th quarter leads that year vs. the Lions and Cardinals before Moseley saved the day with a game winning field goal.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Yes, the 1985 Chargers had their chances to make the postseason and had a great offensive team but still did not help their defense enough with ball control. The offensive line had a great year but would change for 1986. The offense simply didnt believe in holding the ball, it was either score quickly, turn the ball over or punt. The defense could not get enough of a rest, though they forced turnovers to offset the ones on offense ...
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Another tough underrated, just-missed-the-playoffs team was the 1977 NE Patriots ...

Despite not winning as many games as their 1976 team, the Patriots still had a chance to win 10 games and challenge for the division but lost a great game in Baltimore to end the season while giving the fans of Baltimore its third straight divisional title. Imagine as a Colts or Patriots fan watching this win in Memorial for the division, then losing a heartbreaker before Christmas to the Raiders in the playoffs. Patriots fans had to have been discouraged losing a 24-10 lead for this game after losing a 21-10 lead to the Raiders to end their 1976 season ...
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Brian wolf wrote:Another tough underrated, just-missed-the-playoffs team was the 1977 NE Patriots ...

Despite not winning as many games as their 1976 team, the Patriots still had a chance to win 10 games and challenge for the division but lost a great game in Baltimore to end the season while giving the fans of Baltimore its third straight divisional title. Imagine as a Colts or Patriots fan watching this win in Memorial for the division, then losing a heartbreaker before Christmas to the Raiders in the playoffs. Patriots fans had to have been discouraged losing a 24-10 lead for this game after losing a 21-10 lead to the Raiders to end their 1976 season ...
Back to back heartbreakers to the Browns (in OT) and the Jets in 1977 in weeks 2 and 3. Turnovers and penalties absolutely killed them at Shea.

They were such a ground attack team. Averaged 43 rushing attempts per game. It was something if Grogan got into double digit completions for a game

They did a great job getting after QB's too. McGee, Sugar Bear Hamilton, and Julius Adams were a handful
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Its interesting the Dolphins had two 10 win seasons during the 70s without making the playoffs in 1975 and 1977. Maybe thats why the Colts couldnt do more in the playoffs, they were emotionally spent winning their divisions on the final day of the seasons. Looking at the Patriots 1976 season, after beating the Steelers and Raiders, they get ambushed by the Lions. They roll through the rest of the season but so does Baltimore. The 1980 season was the last gasp for the Grogan-led team but a late loss to Montana and the 49ers does them in ...
Ness

Post by Ness »

Brian wolf wrote:Yes, the 1985 Chargers had their chances to make the postseason and had a great offensive team but still did not help their defense enough with ball control. The offensive line had a great year but would change for 1986. The offense simply didnt believe in holding the ball, it was either score quickly, turn the ball over or punt. The defense could not get enough of a rest, though they forced turnovers to offset the ones on offense ...
Oooo...that sounds like a kind of flimsy excuse for the 1985 Chargers D though. There are been a lot of teams in NFL history that had offenses that could score quickly and efficiently, but their corresponding defensive units didn't crumble to dust the minute they had to protect a lead. The paramount problem is that the Chargers on defense simply lacked any quality playmakers by that point. Off the top of my head I can think of Billy Ray Smith Jr...then I struggle to think of anyone else. Gill Byrd maybe? It was slim pickings. At least they got Leslie O'Neal the following draft.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

Ness wrote:
Brian wolf wrote:Yes, the 1985 Chargers had their chances to make the postseason and had a great offensive team but still did not help their defense enough with ball control. The offensive line had a great year but would change for 1986. The offense simply didnt believe in holding the ball, it was either score quickly, turn the ball over or punt. The defense could not get enough of a rest, though they forced turnovers to offset the ones on offense ...
Oooo...that sounds like a kind of flimsy excuse for the 1985 Chargers D though. There are been a lot of teams in NFL history that had offenses that could score quickly and efficiently, but their corresponding defensive units didn't crumble to dust the minute they had to protect a lead. The paramount problem is that the Chargers on defense simply lacked any quality playmakers by that point. Off the top of my head I can think of Billy Ray Smith Jr...then I struggle to think of anyone else. Gill Byrd maybe? It was slim pickings. At least they got Leslie O'Neal the following draft.
Gill Byrd was playing SS that year (thought he was a CB. They had rookie John Hendy and Danny Walters at CB). They also had Lee Williams (9.0 sacks). After that, not too much.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

The 1985 Chargers were an unbelievable team of extremes. Reminded me of the more recent Saints teams that were so unbalanced...elite offense but absolutely no defense to speak of. The Chargers as a team threw for an incredible 5,175 yards that season. They nearly had three 1,000 yard receivers (I remember Atlanta doing that in 1995 or 1996) Interestingly San Diego'sdefense did pick off the 5th most passes in the NFL, but that will happen when the opposition can push the ball down the field through the air on you at will. Your guys are gonna get some picks, some deflected passes in their hands
Ness

Post by Ness »

sheajets wrote:The 1985 Chargers were an unbelievable team of extremes. Reminded me of the more recent Saints teams that were so unbalanced...elite offense but absolutely no defense to speak of. The Chargers as a team threw for an incredible 5,175 yards that season. They nearly had three 1,000 yard receivers (I remember Atlanta doing that in 1995 or 1996) Interestingly San Diego'sdefense did pick off the 5th most passes in the NFL, but that will happen when the opposition can push the ball down the field through the air on you at will. Your guys are gonna get some picks, some deflected passes in their hands
Redskins also had three 1K receivers in 1989 in Monk, Clark, and Sanders.

Sidebar, but I don't think that's been done since the 2008 Cardinals, and before that the 2004 Colts. I'm surprised that in the current era of passing, we haven't seen another season from a team with a trio of 1K receivers. That probably changes sooner rather than later with another game on the slate though.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Ness wrote:
sheajets wrote:The 1985 Chargers were an unbelievable team of extremes. Reminded me of the more recent Saints teams that were so unbalanced...elite offense but absolutely no defense to speak of. The Chargers as a team threw for an incredible 5,175 yards that season. They nearly had three 1,000 yard receivers (I remember Atlanta doing that in 1995 or 1996) Interestingly San Diego'sdefense did pick off the 5th most passes in the NFL, but that will happen when the opposition can push the ball down the field through the air on you at will. Your guys are gonna get some picks, some deflected passes in their hands
Redskins also had three 1K receivers in 1989 in Monk, Clark, and Sanders.

Sidebar, but I don't think that's been done since the 2008 Cardinals, and before that the 2004 Colts. I'm surprised that in the current era of passing, we haven't seen another season from a team with a trio of 1K receivers. That probably changes sooner rather than later with another game on the slate though.
Oilers came an eyelash away from doing it back to back years 1990 and 1991. Both Drew Hill and Haywood Jeffires were over 1,000, but Givins missed it by 21 and 4 yards

1994 Patriots nearly did it too. They were throwing the ball all over the place that season with Bledsoe. Coates made it over 1,000 but Michael TImpson and Vincent Brisby missed by 96 and 59 yards.