2022 Divisional round

Brian wolf

Re: 2022 Divisional round

Post by Brian wolf »

Shootouts like that game are entertaining, especially for the regular season but not for the playoffs, where teams are supposed to play some defense. I will admit, I liked the game fine at the start of the 4th quarter but knew it was going to have more scoring for a basketball or tennis-last serve, type ending. There have been too many games like this in recent postseasons, like the Chiefs-Patriots in 2018/19, the Steelers-Jags in 2017/18, the damn Pats-Eagles SB in 2017/18, Cowboys-Packers in 2016/17 but this game also reminded me of that crazy Colts-Chiefs game from 2013/14 and that game had Alex Smith!

I prefer a shootout like 28-24 or 27-20 where at least SOME defense is played ...
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

With Brees gone, Sean Payton had to do some real coaching this year and it exhausted him. He is stepping down. Will he come back to New Orleans ?
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

JWL wrote:
RRMarshall wrote:
Is this this the first time the road teams swept all 4 divisional playoff games? Offhand I can't think of a season where this has happened.
Serves me right for turning the Buff-KC game off with 13 seconds left figuring it was over.

Yeah, don't turn the game off. If the Bills did the right thing and kicked to the 20 or so and tackled the returner at the 30, Mahomes would have had time for one throw to midfield or just beyond. Then there could have been a Hail Mary attempt from about midfield. That is what I was hoping for. What we got instead was even more ridiculous and better due to poor decision making from Buffalo.

I hate teams that sit on the ball from their own 30 or beyond at the end of the first half of games. I like aggressiveness instead of kneel downs in the 2nd quarter. Too often I shake my head at the lack of aggressiveness at the end of the first half. I find myself saying too much, "They could have done something in those final 10 seconds." Well, on Sunday the Chiefs had no choice. They had to do something. They did something.

My point is? We have been lead to believe that 13 seconds is not enough time because there is still too much conservatism in the NFL. 13 seconds is enough time.
Ram owner Carroll Rosenbloom supposedly decided in 1977 to replace Chuck Knox as HC when Knox would run out the clock ending the first half when he had the ball around mid-field.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Brian wolf wrote:Shootouts like that game are entertaining, especially for the regular season but not for the playoffs, where teams are supposed to play some defense. I will admit, I liked the game fine at the start of the 4th quarter but knew it was going to have more scoring for a basketball or tennis-last serve, type ending. There have been too many games like this in recent postseasons, like the Chiefs-Patriots in 2018/19, the Steelers-Jags in 2017/18, the damn Pats-Eagles SB in 2017/18, Cowboys-Packers in 2016/17 but this game also reminded me of that crazy Colts-Chiefs game from 2013/14 and that game had Alex Smith!

I prefer a shootout like 28-24 or 27-20 where at least SOME defense is played ...
It's what fans want to see: scoring.
racepug

Post by racepug »

RRMarshall wrote:that game was played in Tampa as the Bucs were division winners and the Eagles were the wildcard.
T.B. at the time was a couple of years removed from a 0 - 26 start to their franchise history. I'd say that them being in the playoffs at all was an upset.