2022 Divisional round

Brian wolf

Re: 2022 Divisional round

Post by Brian wolf »

As far as the Titans, when youre defense gets nine sacks, you should be able to win the game but the secondary played too loose with soft coverage on the receivers. Tee Higgins played a clutch game, like Beckham against the Bucs but the defenders also gave him cushion and were scared to death of Chase, who had an easy catch to set up the winning FG ...
racepug

Post by racepug »

superbowlfanatic wrote:I don't understand why the Bills did not do a long squib kickoff with 14 seconds left.
You're not the only one. Heck, even Tony Romo said during the broadcast that that's what he would do. And then the Bills went and screwed it up.
superbowlfanatic wrote:I am not a Buffalo fan, but I feel deeply for them today because of this missed opportunity to end that game with a win.
Losing the game after scoring the go-ahead TD with 13 seconds left in the game. BUF is going to be kicking itself over that loss for a LOOOOOONNNNNNG time to come.
RRMarshall

Post by RRMarshall »

Is this this the first time the road teams swept all 4 divisional playoff games? Offhand I can't think of a season where this has happened.
Serves me right for turning the Buff-KC game off with 13 seconds left figuring it was over. Still, 3 out 4 road wins in the divisional round is pretty rare. I can't remember it happening in the 70s or 80s, not sure after that. SF should have a good chance of a road win at LA, but I'd be surprised if Cincy prevails in KC.
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

Brian wolf wrote:As far as the Titans, when youre defense gets nine sacks, you should be able to win the game but the secondary played too loose with soft coverage on the receivers. Tee Higgins played a clutch game, like Beckham against the Bucs but the defenders also gave him cushion and were scared to death of Chase, who had an easy catch to set up the winning FG ...
oh i agree there brian tennessee's secondary was swiss cheese
racepug

Post by racepug »

RRMarshall wrote:I can't remember it happening in the 70s or 80s, not sure after that.
I'm glad you brought that up! My parents and I were coming back from South America (my dad's originally from Chile) in January 1980 and my memory is that in the Miami airport I found an S.I. with a cover featuring Ricky Bell of the Buccaneers from T.B.'s upset win over Philadelphia. I remember that because three wins that weekend were upsets: the aforementioned one along with HOU over (I think) San Diego (the one in which Paul Zimmerman ["Dr. Z"] wrote that the Oilers had "stolen San Diego's signals" and then later had to backtrack on that) and the Rams over the Cowboys (Cliff Harris's last game in a Cowboys uniform). 'Course, the S.B. winner that year was the one team whose conference semifinal win wasn't considered to be an upset.
RRMarshall wrote:SF should have a good chance of a road win at LA, but I'd be surprised if Cincy prevails in KC.
That's pretty much where I'm at (though don't forget that CIN beat K.C. late in the season to clinch their division) but with the way things have gone so far this post-season nothing is "off the table" as far as I'm concerned.
rewing84

Post by rewing84 »

Brian wolf wrote:Another thing ... Why arent defenders hitting players in the five yard area anymore ?
Do the league and networks mandate that they dont so games can have offensive players just blowing off the line of scrimmage, making easy catches and scoring while keeping games "entertaining" ? The Patriots and Bill Belichick were the last team to mug and hit players off the line of scrimmage and now they dont even do that ... Isnt that what press coverage is supposed to be ?
True physical bump and run coverage ? If I were a HC I would fine my players that didnt get physical with skill positions off the line of scrimmage but if players miss the jam or hit, they could still get burned, so its a fine line. Guess thats why I am typing and not a head coach ... Haha
truthfully brian im not too sure im guessing times have changed
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Maybe or not but with Networks wanting exciting finishes, by garsh they will get them one way or another. I have seen enough shootouts to last a lifetime. To each his own ...
RRMarshall

Post by RRMarshall »

RRMarshall wrote:
I can't remember it happening in the 70s or 80s, not sure after that.

I'm glad you brought that up! My parents and I were coming back from South America (my dad's originally from Chile) in January 1980 and my memory is that in the Miami airport I found an S.I. with a cover featuring Ricky Bell of the Buccaneers from T.B.'s upset win over Philadelphia. I remember that because three wins that weekend were upsets: the aforementioned one along with HOU over (I think) San Diego (the one in which Paul Zimmerman ["Dr. Z"] wrote that the Oilers had "stolen San Diego's signals" and then later had to backtrack on that) and the Rams over the Cowboys (Cliff Harris's last game in a Cowboys uniform). 'Course, the S.B. winner that year was the one team whose conference semifinal win wasn't considered to be an upset.

RRMarshall wrote:
SF should have a good chance of a road win at LA, but I'd be surprised if Cincy prevails in KC.

That's pretty much where I'm at (though don't forget that CIN beat K.C. late in the season to clinch their division) but with the way things have gone so far this post-season nothing is "off the table" as far as I'm concerned.
Yes, in 1979 there were 2 victories by the road teams, LA over Dallas and Houston over San Diego (Still a head scratcher, Oilers won without Campbell and Pastorini!) But even though Philly was favored against the Bucs, that game was played in Tampa as the Bucs were division winners and the Eagles were the wildcard.
Yes, Cincy eat KC but that game was played in Cincinnati and this one will be In KC. A tall order for the Bengals for sure.
JWL

Post by JWL »

lastcat3 wrote:I am not sure scoring 25 points in 2 minutes is something the NFL should brag about.
The NFL cares about ratings and money. If that kind of game helps, then the NFL will brag about it.

That sort of ending does not happen as often as you might think it does. I thought it was fun to watch. To each their own.
JWL

Post by JWL »

RRMarshall wrote:
Is this this the first time the road teams swept all 4 divisional playoff games? Offhand I can't think of a season where this has happened.
Serves me right for turning the Buff-KC game off with 13 seconds left figuring it was over.

Yeah, don't turn the game off. If the Bills did the right thing and kicked to the 20 or so and tackled the returner at the 30, Mahomes would have had time for one throw to midfield or just beyond. Then there could have been a Hail Mary attempt from about midfield. That is what I was hoping for. What we got instead was even more ridiculous and better due to poor decision making from Buffalo.

I hate teams that sit on the ball from their own 30 or beyond at the end of the first half of games. I like aggressiveness instead of kneel downs in the 2nd quarter. Too often I shake my head at the lack of aggressiveness at the end of the first half. I find myself saying too much, "They could have done something in those final 10 seconds." Well, on Sunday the Chiefs had no choice. They had to do something. They did something.

My point is? We have been lead to believe that 13 seconds is not enough time because there is still too much conservatism in the NFL. 13 seconds is enough time.