How will Belichick's final chapter be written?

sheajets

How will Belichick's final chapter be written?

Post by sheajets »

It's kind of funny watching this and hearing younger football fans commenting how this is the first time in their lives they can remember the Patriots being bad. It's almost hard for them to compute. For the rest of us of course the Patriots of up until 1992 were not known as one of the NFL's premier franchises. They toiled in obscurity tucked away deep in baseball (Red Sox) country, behind the Sox, Celtics, and Bruins in popularity. They had some decent spurts here and there and managed a SB appearance, as well as abysmal stretches (1965-1975, 1989-1993...heck before Parcells won his last 5 games of the 1993 season the Patriots were just 15-61 in their last 76 regular season games)

Belichick presided over a true franchise renaissance (and a never-ending nightmare for Jets fans).

He seems to be at a crossroads right now. 1-5 and some uncharacteristically awful performances. Two of the three seasons post Brady were sub .500 (albeit it 7-9 and 8-9 so not terrible teams). This year however it looks as if things have gotten perilously close to the bottom falling out. Belichick is 71 years old. They went into the season with the 6th oldest roster in football (which isn't always a bad thing)

How do you see this playing out? Does Belichick stay there and endure, gut the team, rebuild them back to NFL contender status, find his QB and either get to or actually win a Super Bowl without Brady? Basically ride off into the sunset on his terms

Will it be a Landry-esque end for him? I don't mean any kind of ownership change rather an awkward, divisive, and poorly handled end.

Does he get fed up and walk away on his own in 2-3 years even with a vote of confidence from Kraft

Will he ultimately end up coaching elsewhere? A contending team looking for a HC who can finish the job would look at bringing him in even at his age if they feel he can bring them to the promised land
RichardBak

Re: How will Belichick's final chapter be written?

Post by RichardBak »

I'm wondering how important Shula's lifetime wins record is to BB? He's only, what, 18 wins short now? That's gotta factor into it.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

RichardBak wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:24 pm I'm wondering how important Shula's lifetime wins record is to BB? He's only, what, 18 wins short now? That's gotta factor into it.
I think it's very important. Not sure he's said it but given his interest in history I think that is in play. Maybe not first on his list
he always wants to win ... but quitting after he breaks the record has to have occurred to him.
JameisBrownston

Post by JameisBrownston »

My opinion: no way he retires if they get Caleb. Even if they don’t, I think they'll be in position to draft Maye or Penix at least, so he'll more than likely try to ride it out with one last QB. If that doesn't work, he'll probably still get the wins record after 3 or so years and be ready to walk away. If it does work, he might retire anyways with the reasoning that the team is in a good place to leave it to his handpicked successor. Who do you guys think that is? It seemed like McDaniels or Patricia for a long time, but now we've already seen how that would've gone on both fronts.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I still dont believe Kraft will accept mediocrity to allow him to break Shula's record ... next year might be his last, by then Kraft might be elected to the Hall.
racepug

Post by racepug »

Brian wolf wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:03 pm I still dont believe Kraft will accept mediocrity to allow him to break Shula's record
On that count I think you are correct.
Cali_Eagle

Post by Cali_Eagle »

sheajets wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:23 pm
Belichick presided over a true franchise renaissance (and a never-ending nightmare for Jets fans).

It's been a nightmare for Browns fans too. What might have been. 1995 was a disaster, BB had the team improving each year at least a little bit before the Armageddon of 1995. I bet Modell wished he had kept him too. His wife was smarter than he was re: BB. Pat Breslin, attractive former TV actress. Although during his reign in Cleveland, Browns fans generally despised him.

Will it be a Landry-esque end for him? I don't mean any kind of ownership change rather an awkward, divisive, and poorly handled end.

Yes I think it will. I think Kraft will decide to go in the proverbial "different direction" sooner rather than later.

Does he get fed up and walk away on his own in 2-3 years even with a vote of confidence from Kraft?

No, he doesn't. He has said many times he loves what he does. It's been his whole life. I think when Kraft decides to "go in a different direction" which I think will be soon, BB may well decide to take an offer from another team somewhere, probably prefers a NY team to be close to Nantucket. I think one way or another, BB coaches as long as he possibly can.

Will he ultimately end up coaching elsewhere? A contending team looking for a HC who can finish the job would look at bringing him in even at his age if they feel he can bring them to the promised land?

Yes, I see him doing that. I think w/o the NFL he would be adrift, but that's just a take by me. I'm sure I don't know exactly what he is thinking. Speculation on my part.
My answers bolded and embedded in quote.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

With the finger of God on two tablets of stone?
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Coaching in the PLL so he can add winning championships in two sports to his resume.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

I think Kraft will let Belichick hang in for the record, he even will let bring back McDaniels (if he is getting fired in the near future) and Patricia to help Bill.